Windows 10: Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan?

Discus and support Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ishaan09, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ishaan09 Win User

Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan?

:)

Ishaan09, Feb 16, 2020

2. Microsoft Security Essentials

What is Microsoft Security Essentials?

TheLaughingMan, Feb 16, 2020
  3. What happen to Microsoft essential can`t do full scan

Hi Javier,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you could answer a few questions to narrow down the issue in order to provide you with better assistance.

• Are you talking about Windows Defender or MSE, as in windows 10 we have Windows Defender preinstalled?
    • Do you have any other security software installed?
    • Are you getting any error message/code when it get stuck while performing full scan?
    I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Microsoft Security Essentials hangs during full scan of Windows 7

Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan?

Windows 10 Windows Defender versus Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi Bryan,

Microsoft Security Essentials was upgraded to Windows defender and it was a default security software from Windows 8. You cannot have both as they are one.

Since you get this annoying popup at the startup i suggest you to disable any Microsoft Security Essentials entries in Startup tab.

• Open the Task manager. by pressing Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • click on Startup tab
    • Right click on Microsoft Security Essentials entry and click on Disable.

Restart the computer and check if that helps.

Waseemulla S, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does microsoft security essentials take so long to scan? - Similar Threads - Why does microsoft

2. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  3. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this taking so long: Why is this taking so long the update has been doing this for 2 days https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-this-taking-so-long/7fdd86a9-55ec-4c44-8262-d07abb8bcbfe
  4. Why is this taking so long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does Microsoft Word take so long to open?

Why does Microsoft Word take so long to open?: Hi, When i click on Microsoft Word, the "egg timer" thing runs for ages, before it opens. Why is this? Is it partly because i dont have a SSD? Or is it because i have malware in the laptop...slowing it up?
  6. Why does Microsoft Word take so long to open?

Why does Microsoft Word take so long to open?: Hi, When i click on Microsoft Word, the "egg timer" thing runs for ages, before it opens. Why is this? Is it partly because i dont have a SSD? Or is it because i have malware in the laptop...slowing it up?
  7. Why does it take so long to update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does it take so long to update?: I started a Windows update yesterday around 10:00 am Sunday. Let it run till this morning at 7:00 am and it said 3% last night when I went to bed and again 3% when I turned my laptop off. Why so long to update? I could see an hour or so but not close to 24 hours. Is...
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning: In my clutter folder I inadvertently clicked on a "banking" link within an email as I was verifying clutter vs legit. The link did not open and was then quarantined by MSE. Trojan Level Severe. I am currently running a full Scan. My question is am I safe? Since it did...
  9. Microsoft Security Essentials scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials scan: I am just wondering if it is required to have internet connection to run these scans? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials-scan/ac855198-6ff5-46a1-8ee8-74c41fe8d108
  10. Why does startup take so long?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does startup take so long?: After I turned on my computer I finally saw the clock, after I saw my name and "welcome" without having to actually sign in. But I couldn't do anything for ten minutes. Not even turn off the speaker. Not even get anything to happen by clicking on the start button. Spotify...