Windows 10: Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC?

Discus and support Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Try using VLC. If that can't play it, the file is usually to blame. I would like to second that, and also recommend VLC to you, it's just a good media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheDeerDude, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC?

TheDeerDude, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Jeddie Win User

Hello all,

I recorded a short video on my samsung phone. I can play back this video (mp4) on my phone and it works fine.

But when I copy this mp4 file to my PC and play it back via either WMP or 'Movies and TV' app the video is jerky & pixelated?

Why would this be?
    How come my phone plays it but my PC doesn't?

PS I have other MP4 videos on my PC (not recorded by my phone) that play perfectly well?

:)

Jeddie, Apr 15, 2018
  3. mac_freak Win User
    Nokia N80 video format?

Hello.

Most probably a codec problem. The RealOne Player can only decode certain MP4 codecs so it does not mean that even if the file format is already in MP4, the software will be outright in playing it. Try using Quicktime Pro to convert your video files into proper
    MP4 format if you have one. It might do the work of properly encoding the file into a playable MP4 video file.

Cheers.

mac_freak, Apr 15, 2018
  4. Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC?

Windows 10 App "Movies and TV" plays old MP4s but not new ones.

My computer upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 in August.

When I launch MP4 files made before the upgrade, Movies and TV plays as it should.

However, NO MP4 file made and copied onto computer in same folder AFTER the Win 10 upgrade plays properly. The screen is black and a garbled sound track plays herky-jerky. The same MP4 files copied to a different computer play fine. This is very
    puzzling as the MP4s are made from the same camera, play fine elsewhere. This isn't a browser issue as I'm launching the app by double clicking on the MP4 file in its folder.

AndrewEskind, Apr 15, 2018
  5. Try using VLC. If that can't play it, the file is usually to blame.

DeaconFrost, Apr 15, 2018
  6. What is the recording resolution used for your videos on your phone? If you have a high-end phone, it will/can record 4k content that your PC/Laptop probably can't play with decent speeds without proper hardware decoding.

Update: I just tested my theory! I recorded a short UHD (4K, 3840x2160 pixels) clip, and indeed I have the same issue on one computer while on another computer it plays just fine. Both computers are about the same speed, but the one with no issues, better supports hardware decoding of higher resolution videos.

slicendice, Apr 15, 2018
Thema:

Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC?

1. Why does MP4 file not play properly on my PC? - Similar Threads - Why does MP4

2. Why does my MP4 video not play any sound?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my MP4 video not play any sound?: ColleaguesWhy does my MP4 video not play any sound? I've tried to find a Microsoft driver update, but I can't find one that looks trustworthy. Incidentally, if I copy the MP4 to my iPad, it plays both vision and sound correctly.Many thanksIan...
  3. Why does my MP4 video not play any sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my MP4 video not play any sound?: ColleaguesWhy does my MP4 video not play any sound? I've tried to find a Microsoft driver update, but I can't find one that looks trustworthy. Incidentally, if I copy the MP4 to my iPad, it plays both vision and sound correctly.Many thanksIan...
  4. Why does my MP4 video not play any sound?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my Pc not start properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Pc not start properly: I switch to power on,I then geta Menu Dell Support Assistant and have to chose Continue,set-up,and then Default settings of Bios or Factory or last good config.If I chose to continue I I am told to wait two hours before the Pc will start.I have reset the PC 7/8 times but...
  6. Why does my Pc not start properly

Why does my Pc not start properly: I switch to power on,I then geta Menu Dell Support Assistant and have to chose Continue,set-up,and then Default settings of Bios or Factory or last good config.If I chose to continue I I am told to wait two hours before the Pc will start.I have reset the PC 7/8 times but...
  7. MP4 files won't play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP4 files won't play: So I download a lot of meme videos and for some reason after I watch a few downloaded they just stop playing and is stuck on the black screen of Movies and tv which is where I watch them the only fix I know of is by restarting my computer but I don't want to have to do that...
  8. Why does Microsoft not know how to play a mp4 video file in my email?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Microsoft not know how to play a mp4 video file in my email?: Why does Microsoft not know how to play a mp4 video file in my email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-microsoft-not-know-how-to-play-a-mp4/975bf568-e747-4e2b-b30e-52e7adadd06b
  9. Playing MP4 files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playing MP4 files: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 My wife sent me one she'd revived to play on my desktop, as sound on her tablet was weak. As Windows 10 hasn't a suitable player. I installed vlc-3.0.11. The file still won't play. Will anyone, please, advise me why this is happening? 170888
  10. MP4 files will not play

MP4 files will not play: Suddenly mp4 files that have been forward to me will not play in VLC. When I click on the file I end up with this message: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\SB53GZ50\ plus statement Invalid Value for Registery. I am not positive but it seems to have...