Windows 10: Why does MS choose 72 days for password expiration?

Discus and support Why does MS choose 72 days for password expiration? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Just saw this tutorial and didn't want to hijack it with OT query: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account Windows 10 User... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by lx07, Jun 26, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

Why does MS choose 72 days for password expiration?

Just saw this tutorial and didn't want to hijack it with OT query: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Your Microsoft Account Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

You have the option to force your MSA password to expire every 72 days. No other length of time just 72 days or not.

Why 72 though? It isn't a round number of weeks or months and yet it seems to have been this particular duration for at least a decade. For example there is this How do I change my MSN Hotmail password? - Ask Dave Taylor from 2007.

Any ideas why? Just curious really.

:)

2. Rationale for not using old password

Why does MS not allow me to choose my own password? And frankly, why should Microsoft have any say over our password anyways? This is a free country and I should be able to choose whatever I want as a password,
    whether it is deemed "secure" enough by the gods at Microsoft. I am the one who faces the consequence if my account is hacked, not Microsoft, so they can provide all the advice they want as to whether I am choosing a secure password, but ultimately, decision
    of what password to use should be mine, not theirs.

And when MS shuts us out of our account - I couldn't get into my account online using my actual password in order to access MS family - and forces me to change it, then for what reasons does MS care if I go back to
    the old one? I get why I have to do this at work and not repeat passwords for security reasons, but at home, I am in charge of my security and don't need MS telling me what to do.

- Chris

PS - Please don't just repeat the policy on passwords to me; I already know it. What I am looking for is a
    rationale for the policy.

chrislegg1, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 password

Windows 10 changed my PC password to MS logon & password. I have multiple computers and want to have the same PC password. I seldom sign in to MS. I want to keep it that way. Does it bother anyone that MS wants to be like Apple requiring you to get
    apps from their store? That's why I us MS for the freedom to choose my apps that fit my work.

MKay Brown, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I don't see anything for an official reason why, but I guess that it's just how often Microsoft feels (based on studies??) is the minimum recommendation you should change your password.

It would be nice to have an option to specify your own time frame instead though.

Brink, Jun 26, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    Research shows that asking users to change their password every 71 days or less leads to lynch mobs looking for system administrators *Wink

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does MS choose 72 days for password expiration? - Similar Threads - Why does choose

2. Password expiration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password expiration: Greetings. I have Windows 11 Home Edition, and every month I'm getting a password expiraton notice. Is it possible to disable this annoying feature permamantly? I've searched the web and all I come up with is how to disable password expiation in Windows 10 and Windows 11, but...
  3. Password expiration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password expiration: Greetings. I have Windows 11 Home Edition, and every month I'm getting a password expiraton notice. Is it possible to disable this annoying feature permamantly? I've searched the web and all I come up with is how to disable password expiation in Windows 10 and Windows 11, but...
  4. Password expiration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password expiration: The Surface Pro 7 tablet running on Windows 10 prompts for a password reset. How can I stop this from happening? I have found answers but they don't work using netplwiz, control panel, etc.. Yet I also see Microsoft references that indicate this can be done....
  5. Password expiration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password expiration: The Surface Pro 7 tablet running on Windows 10 prompts for a password reset. How can I stop this from happening? I have found answers but they don't work using netplwiz, control panel, etc.. Yet I also see Microsoft references that indicate this can be done....
  6. Password expiration

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Expiring Passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    Expiring Passwords: Yesterday when I attempted to sign into my computer, it said I had to change my password, which I did. Then I found directions on how to prevent it from happening again - so I never have to change it again. I understand it happens every 6 weeks. These are the directions I...
  8. Password Expiration

Password Expiration: I don't want my login password to expire in windows 10. How do I change this setting so it doesn't expire. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-expiration/e9769e7c-fba5-49f2-a5b5-dac99ac38e53
  9. When does my password expire?

When does my password expire?: For my Windows 10 PC, my password is set to expire every 90-days. Is there a way find out when the password will expire? I.e., how many days left until the password expires....
  10. Why cant i choose my own password? Why does Microsoft force me to now choose a password...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why cant i choose my own password? Why does Microsoft force me to now choose a password...: Is Microsoft as dumb as apple to think people cant decide and make decisions for themselves?? Sad Microsoft used to let customers choose what they want, but forcing people to have accounts unsecured is sad.. Making people write down 100 different passwords every 6 months...