Windows 10: Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

Discus and support Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; *Eek When I log onto my laptop (Win 10 Home) I check if there are any updates (this is after I update defender definitions). Comes back with none BUT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mega10user, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

*Eek When I log onto my laptop (Win 10 Home) I check if there are any updates (this is after I update defender definitions). Comes back with none BUT then shortly after that the computer connects to MS in Washington (IP lookup after I see a connection to and follow a large download to laptop). 185+ MB downloaded to me. This is this morning, not all the same amounts downloaded, it just starts downloading and win update said there were no updates. I am concerned why MS wants to randomly download large files to it when both defender and win updates says there are no updates. Is anyone else noticing this? *Eek

:)

mega10user, Dec 16, 2016

2. Download File Size is limited

John, just out of curiosity, how large a file have you been able to download? At what point does it not download? Does it start then stop when it reaches a certain size?

http://www.experiencemobility.net

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Chugsum Win User
    Neosmart.xml?

Does anyone know why a 'neosmart.xml' file would be created under MS Edge, when not using the browser at all?

Chugsum, Dec 16, 2016
  4. Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

I would go into your updates and view update history to see if any have failed and are retrying.

You could also run the Update troubleshooter just to ensure it runs clean. Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top. Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click, click on Run as administartor. Should run clean

Caledon Ken, Dec 16, 2016
  5. *Smile Hi Ken, already tried the look-see if a failed update is retrying, none failed or in a waiting status that I can find. I am standalone (as I understand it, if I am not logged into a MS account 'cortana' does not work), do not use 'cortana', If I could find the update troubleshooter, what would that tell me if no updates are there and no failed updates are 'retrying'? *Smile

mega10user, Dec 19, 2016
  6. It's probably cortana. On my system, once a week it was downloading huge amounts of data. The only thing I could think it is, is that its link information being downloaded by BING. It did it every Thursday morning in my neck of the woods. I took care of that problem, SearchUI.exe nolonger exists on my system. I don't use Cortana, I have no need for it and now its gone !

storageman, Dec 19, 2016
  7. Whether you use Cortana as an assistant or not is everyone's preference. Cortana is also a system search and a very quick way to find things or your device. Windows 7 also had a search bar but you had to click on the start Orb, it was positioned right over it. Windows 8 you could just start typing but the lack of a bar meant people didn't know they could type. By providing a quick way to access programs MS is trying to show us another way of starting things other than clicking down through series of menus.

If you removed the search bar form your task bar, that is also called Cortana, then we have to start the trouble shooter another way. My goal is simple to ensure nothing is failing, which you reported there are no updates in this status, and all processes, stores, DB's around updates are clean. If you wish to run Troubleshooting, right click on the Windows Start, lower right corner, click on search, then type in Troubleshooting. Ignore the fact that Cortana wants to engage you, just key in your search.

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2016
  8. Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

KEN, You are not the op of this tread. he was complaining about the large amount of data that WIN 10 was downloading. I have observed this situation and determined that SearchUI.exe (ie Cortana) was responsible for it on my system. It nolonger performs those tasks on both of my systems. I will be happy to tell the op what procedures are needed to disable these processes if he wants. But if you think its the update process, it probably is not. Oh it has nothing to do with removing the search bar from your task bar, it still runs in the background.

!

storageman, Dec 20, 2016
  9. Agree I'm not op.

Mega10user asked the question "If I could find the update troubleshooter, what would that tell me if no updates are there and no failed updates are 'retrying'? He also said he didn't use Cortana.

I was trying to answer why I had suggested running trouble shooter.

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2016
  10. As I have previous posted - Its not updates that are causing the OP's issuses. Why don't you fix your quote color since I can't see The quotes that you post ! My quotes are clear as a bell !

storageman, Dec 20, 2016
  11. Why don't you and I try to fix the Op's issue, instead of U & I debating what is causing the problem !!

storageman, Dec 20, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    It's not happening to me but could be it's synchronizing with something, phone, another computer or even OneDrive.

CountMike, Dec 20, 2016
  13. Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

Hi Ken, That part of my reply was only as an answer to your original reply. Just this evening, it did it again (20 plus minutes downloading so far 400+MB data and there are no updates in windows or defender. This ex win8.1 NEW HP was completely wiped and the free win 10 clean install was done (HP bloatware AND the 8.1/10 update left me with a LOOOOOONG bootup and slow system so I found the post on wiping the HDD and clean installing this win 10). Although I HAD to have the MS account (according to the prompts) I do not use cloud, MS (any more than I have to), nor want or care to use 'cortana'. I would like to explore the possible 'cortana' automatic downloading thing because of the MANY IP's in the resource monitor (network window) leads to a large number of (searched) MS controlled IP's. It is so annoying to log in wanting to do some surfing, emails but having the laptop locked up doing this HUGE download. This isn't my primary system so it isn't turned on as often as my win 7 machine (which does not have this quirk). Lets please see if it is this auto-Cortana non-prompted force-ware download is causing this, and stop it from locking my system?

Storageman, your idea sounds logical, can I just find that file and delete it, or can I just 'disable' (simply) this 'cortana' unwelcome demand of my time and system?

Hi Mike, it isn't sync-ing with anything in my house. You see, I am too dumb for a 'smart' phone and I have no 'smart' or 'wifi' devices/appliances in my home. The large list of IP's that I look up mostly come back as a MS owned/leased IP. I don't 'cloud', or use a MS account, and don't know how too anyway. I just want to be able to log on and search/email (and sometimes 'smurf' the net). Not 'connected' in the way many are today.

mega10user, Feb 9, 2017
  14. *Wink Adding to my prior, was not feeling well the last 1 1/2 months, I do apologize that I was not in the forum and responding sooner. Although it is extremely annoying, it catches me every time I do start this laptop up (you would think I would learn to 'start' it up and go eat breakfast or something until it is done). I figure why does MS 'stress' the system (and my nerves). I also do not understand why MS seems to be so invasive? Sign of the times, I suppose. Please excuse me in advance, if I do not get back for a couple of weeks, for any responses posted? I do hope it is an easy task, to disable this 'cortana' application (if factually it is causing this). *Wink

*Confused OK, done some reading (some of which I actually understood), and ask what portion of 'cortana' is needing all this data? Is it data that 'helps' by having it locally, or what? I cannot see how so much data can be useful for every machine. Not only does it take all my bandwidth until it is done (cannot IE search or do anything else that would use my connection), but does it 'stay' on my system? Why does MS/win 10 want/need all this data when I start/connect? *Confused

mega10user, Feb 9, 2017
  15. vram Win User
    Is Windows Defenders disabled? It's definitions can be that large sometimes.

Go to the control panel and click on Windows Defender. It'll say it's off if it's off.

Thema:

Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon?

1. Why does MS download such LARGE files when logon? - Similar Threads - Why does download

2. Internet disables when downloading large files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet disables when downloading large files: Summary of the problem:Browsing the internet, watching movies, and chatting works fine.Playing online games usually doesn't cause an issue, but sometimes do.The main issue starts when I download large files over the internet.For example, a large video file via Google drive or...
  3. Internet disables when downloading large files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet disables when downloading large files: Summary of the problem:Browsing the internet, watching movies, and chatting works fine.Playing online games usually doesn't cause an issue, but sometimes do.The main issue starts when I download large files over the internet.For example, a large video file via Google drive or...
  4. Blue Screen when downloading large files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen when downloading large files: Hi there!I've recently noticed my router which is connected via ethernet cable to my pc was limiting my download speed due to its specifications, and so decided to connect my PC directly to the modem instead the modem used to be in bridge mode beforehand. The new download...
  5. Blue Screen when downloading large files

Blue Screen when downloading large files: Hi there!I've recently noticed my router which is connected via ethernet cable to my pc was limiting my download speed due to its specifications, and so decided to connect my PC directly to the modem instead the modem used to be in bridge mode beforehand. The new download...
  6. Blue Screen when downloading large files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Why does my PC crash when downloading large files

Why does my PC crash when downloading large files: Ever since I've got a new SSD using SSD as primary and a HDD as secondary, I will try to download for example a large game, or really anything over 2GB, and I've noticed that the network bar in task manager drops to 0kbps for a few seconds and restarts, this process will...
  8. Why does my PC crash when downloading large files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my PC crash when downloading large files: Ever since I've got a new SSD using SSD as primary and a HDD as secondary, I will try to download for example a large game, or really anything over 2GB, and I've noticed that the network bar in task manager drops to 0kbps for a few seconds and restarts, this process will...
  9. Why does my PC crash when downloading large files

10. Intense Lag when Downloading Large Files

Intense Lag when Downloading Large Files: Hi, I am using Windows 10 on an Acer Predator 17 laptop. I use a gigabit wired internet connection. When I download a large file, like an .iso file, my computer experience horrible lag. Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?...