Windows 10: Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

Discus and support Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 delivered and installed 29 July, replacing Windows 7, but when I go to MS sites, it identifies my version of Windows as 8.x, so that, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

Windows 10 delivered and installed 29 July, replacing Windows 7, but when I go to MS sites, it identifies my version of Windows as 8.x, so that, for example, I cannot download MS Maps, which I apparently deleted in my early use of Windows 10.

What do I need to change so that MS corrrectly recognizes its own software?

Later: I found a command, wsreset, which clears the store, so I visited that location, which then informed me that the Maps app was installed, so I opened it, and, yes, it now works. I closed the app, returned to the store, which informed me that I am using Windows 8.1, and again offered to let me update to Windows 10, the version of Windows that I am using. The "New Math" is now quite a few years old, but apparently has not yet penetrated Fortress Microsoft, which believes that, under the Old Math, 10 is 8.1.

And, the next day, I got an answer on the MS Answers site: It is the User Agent Stings on both of our computers are what are identifying us as using Windows 8 (my machine,) Windows 7 (my wife's infernal device. Nice to see that I am slightly more advanced than she is, 8 to 7....

I've posted a request on mozillaZine as to how to change the string.

A Day Later

Tuned out that the answer was not the User Agent String. Somewhat out of desperation, I restarted Fx with all extensions disabled. In that state, MS Windows Support showed that I am using Windows 10, so I restarted Fx, which re-enables all extensions. Before starting the standard procedure of manually disabling groups of extensions, restarting testing, until the culprit is found, I went back to the MS site, which again showed that I am using Windows 10. Just to be sure, I restarted Fx, and all is well.

Starting Fx with all extensions disabled though its help system is known to sometimes fix problems; in fact, I read a mozillaZine thread this morning about that happening; a moderator commented that, yes, this does take place, and no, why it takes place is unknown.

I suspect that my instance may well be the first time that doing what I did fixed whatever it fixed in terms of the browser misidentifying the version of Windows in use.

:)

Not Myself, Aug 2, 2015

2. Why does Windows 10 identify my network as "Network 4" instead of its proper name?

Hi all:

2 computers connected to a router via Ethernet.

On the "Network and Sharing Center" page the Windows 8.1 computer properly identifies the network as a Private Network named "HOME-D94B." On the "Network and Sharing Center" page the Windows 10 computer identifies the network as a Private Network named
    "Network 4."

The Windows 10 computer can connect to the Internet and see other computers in the network, but I'm having "Homegroup" issues with the computer - probably caused when it got converted from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - which need to be corrected, so I thought
    I'd start the process by asking about this obvious difference between the two computers.

TIA.

Tom Young99, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Why does Windows 10 identify my network as "Network 4" instead of its proper name?

Commander Keen: (that's a blast from the past!):

Thanks for the reply. It didn't seem like the naming of the network really was important to the bigger problem of "HomeGroup" issues, but I was curious as the other computer on the network - a laptop connecting via WiFi, also upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win
    10 and having the same Homegroup issues - does properly identify the network.

I've run the homegroup troubleshooter on both Win 10 machines without success but haven't tried it on the remaining Win 8.1 machine. I'll give that a whirl.

Thank you.

Tom Young99, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

1. Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8? - Similar Threads - Why does Identify

2. Why does Windows identify the file as a completely different file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Windows identify the file as a completely different file?: Here, the file is supposed to a screensaver that should've been installed, but instead, it's being opened in notepad, file type being identified as "AutoCAD LT Script"....
  3. Why does Windows identify the file as a completely different file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows identify the file as a completely different file?: Here, the file is supposed to a screensaver that should've been installed, but instead, it's being opened in notepad, file type being identified as "AutoCAD LT Script"....
  4. Why does Windows identify the file as a completely different file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does it correctly identify my new monitor as # 2 and original as #1. But windows is not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does it correctly identify my new monitor as # 2 and original as #1. But windows is not...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PplOfRedditArePansys [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/x6zra6/why_does_it_correctly_identify_my_new_monitor_as/
  6. Why does my windows 10 taskbar flicker to a windows 8 one

Why does my windows 10 taskbar flicker to a windows 8 one: This isn’t a problem or anything but I just want to know, I was unfulscreening a window and it flickered to the windows 8 topbar the one with the minimize full screen and X button and that left me curious. I could recreate it every time....
  7. Why does my windows 10 taskbar flicker to a windows 8 one

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does my windows 10 taskbar flicker to a windows 8 one: This isn’t a problem or anything but I just want to know, I was unfulscreening a window and it flickered to the windows 8 topbar the one with the minimize full screen and X button and that left me curious. I could recreate it every time....
  8. Why does my windows 10 taskbar flicker to a windows 8 one

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Why Does System Config Identify My B Drive as \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows and Is it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Does System Config Identify My B Drive as \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows and Is it...: I've rebuilt my B Drive's bootfiles and changed values in Registry MountDevices. Neither worked. What does this B Drive in my System Configuration signify? Os it omportant?...
  10. Why Does System Config Identify My B Drive as \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows and Is it...

Why Does System Config Identify My B Drive as \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows and Is it...: I've rebuilt my B Drive's bootfiles and changed values in Registry MountDevices. Neither worked. What does this B Drive in my System Configuration signify? Os it omportant?...