Windows 10: Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

Discus and support Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 delivered and installed 29 July, replacing Windows 7, but when I go to MS sites, it identifies my version of Windows as 8.x, so that, for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

Windows 10 delivered and installed 29 July, replacing Windows 7, but when I go to MS sites, it identifies my version of Windows as 8.x, so that, for example, I cannot download MS Maps, which I apparently deleted in my early use of Windows 10.

What do I need to change so that MS corrrectly recognizes its own software?

Later: I found a command, wsreset, which clears the store, so I visited that location, which then informed me that the Maps app was installed, so I opened it, and, yes, it now works. I closed the app, returned to the store, which informed me that I am using Windows 8.1, and again offered to let me update to Windows 10, the version of Windows that I am using. The "New Math" is now quite a few years old, but apparently has not yet penetrated Fortress Microsoft, which believes that, under the Old Math, 10 is 8.1.

And, the next day, I got an answer on the MS Answers site: It is the User Agent Stings on both of our computers are what are identifying us as using Windows 8 (my machine,) Windows 7 (my wife's infernal device. Nice to see that I am slightly more advanced than she is, 8 to 7....

I've posted a request on mozillaZine as to how to change the string.

A Day Later

Tuned out that the answer was not the User Agent String. Somewhat out of desperation, I restarted Fx with all extensions disabled. In that state, MS Windows Support showed that I am using Windows 10, so I restarted Fx, which re-enables all extensions. Before starting the standard procedure of manually disabling groups of extensions, restarting testing, until the culprit is found, I went back to the MS site, which again showed that I am using Windows 10. Just to be sure, I restarted Fx, and all is well.

Starting Fx with all extensions disabled though its help system is known to sometimes fix problems; in fact, I read a mozillaZine thread this morning about that happening; a moderator commented that, yes, this does take place, and no, why it takes place is unknown.

I suspect that my instance may well be the first time that doing what I did fixed whatever it fixed in terms of the browser misidentifying the version of Windows in use.

:)

Not Myself, Aug 2, 2015

2. Why does Windows 10 identify my network as "Network 4" instead of its proper name?

Hi all:

2 computers connected to a router via Ethernet.

On the "Network and Sharing Center" page the Windows 8.1 computer properly identifies the network as a Private Network named "HOME-D94B." On the "Network and Sharing Center" page the Windows 10 computer identifies the network as a Private Network named
    "Network 4."

The Windows 10 computer can connect to the Internet and see other computers in the network, but I'm having "Homegroup" issues with the computer - probably caused when it got converted from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 - which need to be corrected, so I thought
    I'd start the process by asking about this obvious difference between the two computers.

TIA.

Tom Young99, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Why does Windows 10 identify my network as "Network 4" instead of its proper name?

Commander Keen: (that's a blast from the past!):

Thanks for the reply. It didn't seem like the naming of the network really was important to the bigger problem of "HomeGroup" issues, but I was curious as the other computer on the network - a laptop connecting via WiFi, also upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win
    10 and having the same Homegroup issues - does properly identify the network.

I've run the homegroup troubleshooter on both Win 10 machines without success but haven't tried it on the remaining Win 8.1 machine. I'll give that a whirl.

Thank you.

Tom Young99, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8?

1. Why does MS Identify my Windows 10 as Windows 8? - Similar Threads - Why does Identify

2. Why does windows 10...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does windows 10...: I'd like to ask why does windows 10 suck for gaming? Why does every game I try work better on xp than windows 7, 8.1 or 10. Everything from Ark to World of Warcraft and everything in between. Candy Crush saga sure runs well though. So do all these bad games that come with or...
  3. Why does windows 10....

Why does windows 10....: I'd like to ask why does windows 10 suck for gaming? Why does every game I try work better on xp than windows 7, 8.1 or 10. Everything from Ark to World of Warcraft and everything in between. Candy Crush saga sure runs well though. So do all these bad games that come with or...
  4. Why Does File Explorer Say Windows 8 under This PC when I'm Running Window's 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why Does File Explorer Say Windows 8 under This PC when I'm Running Window's 10?: Why is there only a Windows 8 file under This PC in File Explorer when I'm running windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-file-explorer-say-windows-8-under-this-pc/106d2d96-44cb-45d5-b93e-d15fa6be53c2
  5. Why does my Disk Cleanup app state my OS is Windows 8 when I have Windows 10 Home? (See...

Why does my Disk Cleanup app state my OS is Windows 8 when I have Windows 10 Home? (See...: Please see screen shot below. The Disk Cleanup is calling the OS Windows8, yet the Windows Specifications is saying the edition is Window 10 Home. Why is this? It looks like Windows 10....
  6. Why does my Windows 10 suddenly become inoperable?

Why does my Windows 10 suddenly become inoperable?: For no apparent reason, suddenly I am unable to open I.E. or close it for a restart. With no open windows, it just freezes up entirely. This has happened several times recently. The only way I can remedy it that I am aware of is by forcing my laptop to shut down by...
  7. How does Windows identify 16 bit apps

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How does Windows identify 16 bit apps: My question is: how do I make windows run a program when it knows its a 16 bit app on a 64 bit PC. I know it reads the exe pe header, but instead of displaying the "This app cant't run on your PC" banner. I would like it to load another program - like in the attached...
  8. Why can't I access my Windows 8 personal folder from Windows 10 ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why can't I access my Windows 8 personal folder from Windows 10 ?: Hiyas, I'm aware that I more times changed ownership of my Windows 8 profile folder (incl. subtree). Currently it's set to (Windows 8)SYSTEM. By looking at other account profile folders I suppose it's right and access rights should be set to profile user (full control),...
  9. why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?: i upgraded to 10 from windows 7, but i recently got some windows 8/8.1 updates for the malicious software removal tool. anyone have some idea as to why? thank you in advance... 50020
  10. Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Windows keep rearranging my window positions?: I have four monitors, and have my windows arranged in specific places. On a regular basis, usually after a Windows upgrade, after restarting, I find that Windows has "helpfully" moved my windows around. They are always in the same place on the monitor, but are often on the...