Windows 10: Why does my active network name change when I connect wirelessly

Discus and support Why does my active network name change when I connect wirelessly in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In my network connections I have an Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection for my Windows 10 computer. Occasionally I connect using wi-fi to my router to test... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marklyn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. marklyn Win User

Why does my active network name change when I connect wirelessly

In my network connections I have an Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection for my Windows 10 computer. Occasionally I connect using wi-fi to my router to test something out but typically then disable that connection when I'm finished testing. Afterwards my ethernet connection's name is changed to the name of the wireless connection I previously connected to. Why is that? If anything I'd expect the wifi connection name to show that name change, not the ethernet connection (I was connected to both at same time though).
    Any ideas on how to keep this changed to my named Ethernet connection?
    See attachment for details.

:)

marklyn, Jul 14, 2019

2. How to change Wi-Fi network connection name

Hi Raphael,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

Let’s try simple steps and check if it helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps.

• Type network connection on the Windows search bar and select
      View network connection.

• Right click on the Wi-Fi network and select
      rename.

• Now try changing the name and check if it helps.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Change name of Network

I am connected to my private network by USB however in the list of networks available there are at least 3 listed as "Network" including mine.

How can I change the network name to, say, the name of my device?

Daniel J White, Jul 14, 2019
  4. A Gray Win User

Cannot Connect Wirelessly to the Internet

My E Machines E732 laptop which was recently upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 7) and has now had the Anniversary update applied. has suddenly ceased to be connectable wirelessly to the internet. I am using a BT Hub 5 and there is no fault with it as it connects wirelessly to several other computers in the house. I can connect the E Machines using an ethernet cable, and this works well, but any attempt to reconnect wirelessly fails. Could this be a result of the latest Windows update or is there some other fault such as a Registry flaw. I have tried renewing the network settings but no joy. Has anyone got any suggestions?*Sad

A Gray, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Why does my active network name change when I connect wirelessly - Similar Threads - Why does active

2. Why does my excel file name change when I download it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my excel file name change when I download it?: I am working on a project for a Data Analytics class and a big part of the assignment is attaching the excel/power query file, and the professor has emphasized that if the file does not have a "LastName_FirstName" title then we get 10 points off. So obviously I made this the...
  3. Why does my excel file name change when I download it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my excel file name change when I download it?: I am working on a project for a Data Analytics class and a big part of the assignment is attaching the excel/power query file, and the professor has emphasized that if the file does not have a "LastName_FirstName" title then we get 10 points off. So obviously I made this the...
  4. Why won’t my PC connect to wireless networks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won’t my PC connect to wireless networks?: So I want to connect to my PC to the Wi-Fi, however my PC hasn’t isn’t showing any wireless internet options to choose from, and it only shows an Ethernet option for my PC....
  5. Why won’t my PC connect to wireless networks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won’t my PC connect to wireless networks?: So I want to connect to my PC to the Wi-Fi, however my PC hasn’t isn’t showing any wireless internet options to choose from, and it only shows an Ethernet option for my PC....
  6. Why won’t my PC connect to wireless networks?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. can't change the name of my bluetooth network connection

can't change the name of my bluetooth network connection: it seems like windows keeps changing the name of my bluetooth network connection if i try to change it back again, it says that it cant be changed because theres already a bluetooth connection with that name? Solved by using this program to clean up unused devices. √ 161424
  8. How do I change my network connection's name

How do I change my network connection's name: How do I change the network connection name?/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-change-my-network-connections-name/1e219d11-3cd1-4a96-9ade-a4b306a3d743
  9. Changing name on my wireless network

Changing name on my wireless network: Im trying to change the name of my wireless network, but it keeps changing it back as well as adding 5ghz at the end of my name, regardless of how many times i change it. I just want to change the name of my wireless network without having anything 5ghz added to it. 110532
  10. How to change name and password of network connection?

How to change name and password of network connection?: I have just set up the "o2 HomeBox 6641". How can one change the name of the network connection: [img] [img] "WiFi" can be changed / renamed, but "o2-WLAN" cannot, I would like to rename it. How / where can I change the WPA2 key, the password for the Internet...