Windows 10: Why does my computer boot faster when rebooting than a cold startup?

Discus and support Why does my computer boot faster when rebooting than a cold startup? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm using Boot Racer and it shows that Windows 10 loads more slowly after a fresh startup than during a reboot. I tried doing a clean boot, but to no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by socklosk, Jul 27, 2016.

1. socklosk Win User

Why does my computer boot faster when rebooting than a cold startup?

I'm using Boot Racer and it shows that Windows 10 loads more slowly after a fresh startup than during a reboot. I tried doing a clean boot, but to no avail. I also tried comparing Fast Startup enabled and disabled, and it made no difference. It's only a 10-second difference (20 seconds compared to 30 seconds), but it does this all the time and I'm curious as to why?

I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, but loading a lot of stuff, like my Outlook email browser.

:)

socklosk, Jul 27, 2016
  2. Ranger318 Win User

Win 10 hangs during KB3081424 update

I appreciate the reply from DAVIDMILLER666 but continuous reboot was not my problem. My computer never reached the reboot stage. All I saw was the continuous "working" circles for hours on end. When I manually cold booted, the computer would resume
    "working." I finally solved my own problem by cold booting into F12 diagnostics and restoring the computer to factory condition. The second upgrade to Win 10 was successful.

Ranger318, Jul 27, 2016
  3. HoKab Win User
    Blocked publisher by windows 10 security

Thanks for the post.

You at Microsoft are id****! No wonder people go to Apple. Why does my computer need to boot for 2 minutes when it was booting up for 30 sec on Windows 7? Shouldn't it be faster than on Windows 7? And I have got a clean install and tried all the tricks online.
    And why do I have to install software using command window? Pros (Y)!

HoKab, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

It's usually about the drivers, reboot keeps some of them loaded but cold boot has to start from the beginning with the HDD platters not spinning. "Back in the day" of MS-DOS and Windows 3.xx the HDDs were slow so a warm boot/reboot didn't allow the HDD platters to fully spin down so the computers did boot faster. The slowest HDD I ever worked with on a PC was the 5.25" Quantum drives, slow and noisy.

Berton, Jul 27, 2016
  5. csenger41 Win User
    It is also related to RAM. While shut down, memory is emptied fully, but when restarted it keeps all of its content and the computer doesn't have to write everything on it again, just read what's already stored and can be used again. Like drivers, CPU cache, etc...

csenger41, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does my computer boot faster when rebooting than a cold startup? - Similar Threads - Why does computer

2. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  3. Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my ethernet only work after a cold boot.: Recently, I made my own pc and noticed that my ethernet driver is "hidden" in device manager and will only work after i unplug the power supply for 10-20 seconds and plug it back in. So far, I have tried-Unchecking the "Allow device to sleep" or something like that in the...
  4. Why does windows restart slower than startup?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does windows restart slower than startup?: Hi,I own a laptop with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD. The startup and boot is fast in the laptop. Even the shut down processes is fast. But, when I restart the laptop, it takes more time to startup and boot. Why does this happen?Is it something to do with Fast Startup? If yes, Fast...
  5. Asks for Passwords on Cold Boot / Reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Asks for Passwords on Cold Boot / Reboot: Again, like dark theme by time, Android and iOS do this already, it's safer than allowing Windows Hello all the time. IIRC there is a Group Policy option for this(?), but this should be a function for all. Cheers. submitted by /u/loyukfai [link] [comments]...
  6. Computer hangs on cold boot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer hangs on cold boot.: Fresh install of Windows 10. The system hangs on boot and just displays the Windows logo every single time! Nothing wrong in device manager and no errors of any kind displaying System specs are: AMD FX 6200 Asus M5A97 R 2.0 motherboard Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB (boot drive)...
  7. Why is restart on Windows 10 way slower than cold boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is restart on Windows 10 way slower than cold boot?: So I've been tweaking things on my system, both hardware and software, and I now have pretty much instant boot on cold startup. Very nice. But restart is much slower, and takes a good 4-10 seconds to get to the login/lock screen. Is this deliberate, and if not, what could...
  8. Update : My Computer is running faster than ever :)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update : My Computer is running faster than ever :): I posted a question last night about Antimalware Service Executable and SysMain . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-executable-and-sysmain-are/d5e810b5-6fb8-4bf3-9c33-8dfbd9c308cb I finally managed to solve the problem. I found...
  9. No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.

in Windows 10 Support
    No Startup Sound at boot from cold start.: Whenever I do a restart boot I get the Windows Startup sound. If I boot from Shutdown I do not get it. Is this the way it should be? Thank you. 131275
  10. Does Windows 10 Run Much Faster Than Windows 7 and Why Does It?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does Windows 10 Run Much Faster Than Windows 7 and Why Does It?: I upgraded from my Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 10 laptop. The new laptop has an i7 processor and a SSD; and the old has an i5 processor and an optical hard drive. The processor clock speeds are not much different. The speed of the new computer however is several times...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 restart much faster than boot from cold

2. winsdows 10 rebooting is faster than cold boot