Windows 10: Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

Discus and support Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Context my nephew dropped it on the carpet and I try turning it on it won't turn on Basically the screen turns kn but in like half a second it turns... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eli Jay, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Eli Jay Win User

Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

Context my nephew dropped it on the carpet and I try turning it on it won't turn on Basically the screen turns kn but in like half a second it turns right back off

:)

Eli Jay, Jan 31, 2023
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 31, 2023
  3. Steve C Win User
    Computer Won't Start Until Motherboard Power Button Pressed

Computer Won't Start Until Motherboard Power Button Pressed

Perhaps I need a new brain, but the purpose of the power button is normally to turn on the PC? Pressing the ON button sends a signal using the +5V standby line always on on the motherboard to the PSU commanding the PSU to power on. If the PC does not start when the ON switch is pressed then you may have a faulty switch, connecting lead or a faulty PSU.

Steve C, Jan 31, 2023
  4. Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

Why does my computer turn on as soon as I put power on? before it did not start until I pressed the on button

why does my computer turn on as soon as put power on? before it did not start until I pressed the on button

it is a all-in-one dell

Moved from Virus & Malware

mike oconnell_975, Jan 31, 2023
Thema:

Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

1. Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button - Similar Threads - Why does computer

2. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  3. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  4. Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button: Context my nephew dropped it on the carpet and I try turning it on it won't turn on Basically the screen turns kn but in like half a second it turns right back off...
  5. Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my computer keep turning off as soon as I press the power button: Context my nephew dropped it on the carpet and I try turning it on it won't turn on Basically the screen turns kn but in like half a second it turns right back off...
  6. why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself: why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-keep-turning-on-and-off-by/eae71674-2474-407b-acea-848b26542461
  7. Power Button - I have to press twice to turn on.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Button - I have to press twice to turn on.: On all of my previous Windows 10 computers I only had to press the power button once to turn it on. On my most recent build, it requires me to double press quickly in order to power on. If I press once it will shut down. I have gone into the power settings to change what it...
  8. Computer does not shut down when I press the power button

Computer does not shut down when I press the power button: Hey So I have set the options to shut down when I press the power button from power option, system settings but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a solution to this?...
  9. Computer does not power on, needs several button presses

Computer does not power on, needs several button presses: My Dell running Windows 10 will not turn back on after shutdown. I press the power button and the keyboard lights come on, but that is all. No logo, no words of any kind. Just blank screen. I have to press the power button, turning off and on the computer, as many as three...
  10. Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

Power down button does not completely turn computer power off: I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I power down the system from the menu, my computer does not completely turn off. The procedure I use is described below: Click Windows_Start_button > Power > Shutdown The system closes applications and appears to...