Windows 10: Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer

Discus and support Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello I cannot use my keyboard or any USB device when I am setting up my computer. can someone please help?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by UnabatedLynx307, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer

Hello I cannot use my keyboard or any USB device when I am setting up my computer. can someone please help?

:)

UnabatedLynx307, Apr 20, 2020

2. USB keyboard disconnects when holding any button down

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• The USB connection may be loose. Try unplugging the keyboard, and then plugging it back in.
    • Plug the keyboard into a different USB port.
    • If your keyboard is plugged into a USB hub or USB switch box, try removing it and plugging the keyboard into the computer.
    • Unplug other USB devices that are not in use.
    • Try the keyboard on another computer to verify it is working correctly

Method 2: Also I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the usb keyboard drivers as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+X and go to device manager.
    • Then expand keyboards and right click on the driver.
    • Then click on uninstall and restart the computer.
    • It will be reinstalled automatically and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 20, 2020
  3. _JP_ Win User
    Computer Randomly Turns on From Sleep

I only saw this thread now, otherwise I would have suggested this sooner.
    I had that same problem you are having, my computer was waking-up from S3 and the culprit was my X7 mouse.
    powercfg -lastwake also listed the HID keyboard device which was an extension of the mouse.
    Besides going in device manager and setting everything to not being able to wake-up the computer from S3, I also did this to the power profiles:

Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer nousbwakeup.jpg

Worked for me.

4. Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer

Reset computer to factory settings

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the helps.

Step 1: Remove all the external devices (except keyboard and mouse) connected to the computer and check if it helps.

Step 2: I suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Automatic Repair.

Refer to the following link:

Download Windows 10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool " in the above article for creating the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps:

• Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to
      change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
    • In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.
    • Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'Automatic Repair'.
    • After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer

1. Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer - Similar Threads - Why does computer

2. Why does my computer think there is an organisation managing my account when I am using a...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why does my computer think there is an organisation managing my account when I am using a...: I am trying to set up a Windows Hello PIN but I am unable to because I keep getting prompted to sign-in to a work/school account, even though I am only using my personal Microsoft account. I have a PIN set up already but due to this I am not able to use it to verify myself...
  3. Why does my computer think there is an organisation managing my account when I am using a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer think there is an organisation managing my account when I am using a...: I am trying to set up a Windows Hello PIN but I am unable to because I keep getting prompted to sign-in to a work/school account, even though I am only using my personal Microsoft account. I have a PIN set up already but due to this I am not able to use it to verify myself...
  4. Why does my computer think there is an organisation managing my account when I am using a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows won’t let me set up my PIN to log into my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won’t let me set up my PIN to log into my computer.: It is my brothers computer that I’ve used for a while now and decided to logout of his Microsoft account that windows uses. Now I can’t login as when I click on “Set up my PIN” it shows I’m clicking yet doesn’t register as nothing happens. Can’t create a Password either as I...
  6. Windows won’t let me set up my PIN to log into my computer.

Windows won’t let me set up my PIN to log into my computer.: It is my brothers computer that I’ve used for a while now and decided to logout of his Microsoft account that windows uses. Now I can’t login as when I click on “Set up my PIN” it shows I’m clicking yet doesn’t register as nothing happens. Can’t create a Password either as I...
  7. My computer is not letting me change the Keyboard settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is not letting me change the Keyboard settings.: Hello,I know how to propertly chabge the keyboard to US International, so that I can do spanish accents and add the other spanish characters, but, when I go time & language on the settings, go to the selected language, and hit the optons button where I can change the QWRTY...
  8. My computer is not letting me change the Keyboard settings.

My computer is not letting me change the Keyboard settings.: Hello,I know how to propertly chabge the keyboard to US International, so that I can do spanish accents and add the other spanish characters, but, when I go time & language on the settings, go to the selected language, and hit the optons button where I can change the QWRTY...
  9. My keyboard does not let me use the numbers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My keyboard does not let me use the numbers?: My keyboard works except the numbers on the side does not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-keyboard-does-not-let-me-use-the-numbers/dd70e13b-9d34-4bd8-b040-e6545edd71c4
  10. Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my computer not let me use my USB keyboard when I am setting up my computer: Hello I cannot use my keyboard or any USB device when I am setting up my computer. can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-not-let-me-use-my-usb/3f02c504-9bfc-4bcd-9084-073a68320d2d