Windows 10: Why does my computer run so many svchost.exe and what does it do?

Discus and support Why does my computer run so many svchost.exe and what does it do? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I haven't bothered to count them but as you can see i have 20+ of these running. None of them are really using much cpu, but im just a bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaco9307, Jan 26, 2019.

1. jaco9307 Win User

Why does my computer run so many svchost.exe and what does it do?

Why does my computer run so many svchost.exe and what does it do? 14e2033a-7b1a-45b5-b5bf-cc1975429da9?upload=true.png

I haven't bothered to count them but as you can see i have 20+ of these running.
    None of them are really using much cpu, but im just a bit concerned that there are so many.

Is it normal and i should i just ignore them, or is this something i need to look into?

:)

jaco9307, Jan 26, 2019

2. What does the svchost do?

Lots of Windows services are tied to the SVChost, and /or are listed as SVChost in the process list(s).

Unfortunatley with Vista, there's a lot more dependencies between the services, and thus you'll be FORCED to run more instances of SVChosts; unlike XP where things were more independent and you could disable more features resulting in less SVChost instances. That and XP and Vista are different.

Regardless of your Windows version, you can check out some service slimming guides or goto Black Viper's website and take his advice. Depending on your needs you may be able to cut down the amount of SVChost running, and save some RAM.

XP should never have an SVChost using 50mb. Vista however can.

newconroer, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Svchost virus?

Did your antivirus provider identify the malware? If so, did you seek their advice?

You may want to send a copy of the file to VirusTotal for analysis. VirusTotal

Recommend you scan with the Emsisoft Emergency Kit (a free program): How to find and clean malware infections with Emsisoft Emergency Kit If
    necessary boot into Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking to download and run the scanner or use another computer, put the EEK file on a flash drive and insert the flash drive in the infected computer...you can run the scanner from the flash drive. Other scanners
    (some of which may be run in Safe Mode or from a flash drive) that may help with this issue are listed in List
    of Malware Removal Tools

OR

IF this is what you are seeing, suggest you follow ALL of the steps (until the issue is resolved) in
    this free removal guide https://malwaretips.com/blogs/svchost-exe-virus-removal/

But if you have this malware issue sometimes it will be necessary to reset your computer or do a clean install of the OS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Clean Install Windows 10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them.

Le Boule, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Anna Bol Win User

SvcHost Virus

Hello Alex,

The real svchost.exe is a legitimate Windows process that performs services for other Windows programs. It's normal to have half a dozen or more of them running at once.
    Svchost always runs under one of the three usernames SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE or NETWORK SERVICE. Running under any other username, especially yours or another user's username, could be a symptom of a malware infection.
    To isolate the issue, kindly provide us the following information:

• Have you made any changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you recently modified a software or hardware on your computer?
    • Can you tell us the troubleshooting steps that you have done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you put your computer in a clean boot state and check if there are any software conflicts. To place your computer in a clean boot state, kindly go to this

link

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Anna Bol, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Why does my computer run so many svchost.exe and what does it do? - Similar Threads - Why does computer

2. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update: I just installed the latest cumulative update and restarted my Windows 10 22h2 PC, to see that AggregatorHost now runs in Task Manager at all times, even through multiple restarts; it doesn't consume many resources and behaves similarly to the AggregatorHost on my Windows 11...
  3. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update: I just installed the latest cumulative update and restarted my Windows 10 22h2 PC, to see that AggregatorHost now runs in Task Manager at all times, even through multiple restarts; it doesn't consume many resources and behaves similarly to the AggregatorHost on my Windows 11...
  4. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Why does my computer do this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer do this: Why does my computer keep geting stuck on the uapdate screen but not saying update in progress or do not turn of you computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-do-this/71d8b1d0-bd5f-4438-9866-e8d9778b2378
  6. Why does my computer do this

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does my computer do this: Why does my computer keep geting stuck on the uapdate screen but not saying update in progress or do not turn of you computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-do-this/71d8b1d0-bd5f-4438-9866-e8d9778b2378
  7. Why does my PC crash so many times?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my PC crash so many times?: Hello,As i already mentioned in the headline, my pc is crashing very often, it can be up to 3 times a day. I installed the Windows bluescreenviewer to see where the problem is, but this also cant help me.I resetet my PC a few days ago, then there werent any crashes in 2...
  8. Why does my PC crash so many times?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my PC crash so many times?: Hello,As i already mentioned in the headline, my pc is crashing very often, it can be up to 3 times a day. I installed the Windows bluescreenviewer to see where the problem is, but this also cant help me.I resetet my PC a few days ago, then there werent any crashes in 2...
  9. What does RtkAudioService64.exe do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does RtkAudioService64.exe do?: When I check RtkAudioService64.exe to be run whenever user login, I would like to know on what RtkAudioService64.exe is doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I need it or not? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  10. Why does Microsoft do what it does?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Microsoft do what it does?: I realize this is a user forum and that most of the users are far more conversant with Microsoft talk than me but are generally not MS employees; maybe someone could explain a couple of things to me having to do with updates. What I need in an OS is that it works, is...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have 20 svchost.exe running why so many