Windows 10: why does my computer shut down automatically

Discus and support why does my computer shut down automatically in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; this computer shutdown when not use after about 5 minutes even though the power option says never in both locations. It does not completely shut down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joan cantor, Sep 15, 2018.

1. why does my computer shut down automatically

this computer shutdown when not use after about 5 minutes even though the power option says never in
    both locations. It does not completely shut down because the startup screen is still on and I do have reenter
    my password. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Joan

:)

joan cantor, Sep 15, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

My Computer Keeps Shutting Down By Itself But Not Infected Or Hacked.

Hi Ethan,

There several reasons why your computer is shutting down automatically. For us to provide you the proper troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • Are you encountering an error message when your computer automatically shuts down? If so, what is the error message that you're getting?
    • Does the issue occur when you're performing a specific task on your computer or does it occur randomly?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far?

Argel Obm, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Computer (Pc) Automatically shuts off

Hi,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1:

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long
    the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows key + R and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    Method 2:

Check if the issue persists in safe mode. If the issue does not persist in safe mode then check if the issue persists in clean boot.

Step 1: Safe mode

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start
    Windows are installed.

Refer the link.

Get to safe mode and other startup settings in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...mode-and-other-startup-settings-in-windows-10

Step 2: Clean Boot

I suggest you to place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if it helps.

To know how to place the computer in Clean Boot I suggest you to follow the below link.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Reset the computer back to Normal Mode once you are done with the troubleshooting by following the section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the same
    article.

Please reply with the results. I will be glad to help you further.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Sep 15, 2018
  4. why does my computer shut down automatically

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

why does my computer shut down automatically

1. why does my computer shut down automatically - Similar Threads - why does computer

2. Why does my computer shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer shut down: I have set my power option to ''never'' but my computer shuts down if I don't do anything on it. I'm trying to download something large and it will take several hours or more but if I leave my computer on it automatically shuts down after some time....
  3. Why does my computer shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my computer shut down: I have set my power option to ''never'' but my computer shuts down if I don't do anything on it. I'm trying to download something large and it will take several hours or more but if I leave my computer on it automatically shuts down after some time....
  4. Why does my computer shut down on its own?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer shut down on its own?: My Windows 10 used to be someone else's has started to shut down immediately, just turns black when I tilt the screen, even if it's by accident. It hasn't always been like this, and we've been searching for ways to stop it, but it never works. I've tried to scan for viruses,...
  5. Why does my computer shut down on its own?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my computer shut down on its own?: My Windows 10 used to be someone else's has started to shut down immediately, just turns black when I tilt the screen, even if it's by accident. It hasn't always been like this, and we've been searching for ways to stop it, but it never works. I've tried to scan for viruses,...
  6. Why does my computer shut down on its own?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Why laptop automatically shut down?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why laptop automatically shut down?: When attending the meeting, my laptop automatically gets shut down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-laptop-automatically-shut-down/1a96276f-3f06-4595-baae-dae59221e766
  8. My computer is shutting down automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is shutting down automatically: Hey guys I was using windows 8.1 for quite a while but then I decided to upgrade to win 10. I finished the installation perfectly and the computer is working fine but it started to shutdown after approximately 6 or 7 mins. I changed the sleep mode timer to never but still the...
  9. Why does my computer shut down randomly?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my computer shut down randomly?: Hiya, my pc has been shutting down randomly since 2017, when I got the pc. I've been trying to fix it for about a year, and nothing has worked. I've done all the major things such as: Change services changed PSU changed power options Changed and re-downloaded drivers...
  10. why does my computer takes long to start and shut down?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why does my computer takes long to start and shut down?: my computer takes about five minutes to start and shut down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-takes-long-to-start-and-shut/8c4e3efd-71e3-468a-8e73-6be49b824b13