Windows 10: Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button?

Discus and support Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rpham2234 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rpham2234, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button?

/u/rpham2234, Jan 31, 2021
  2. OldAussie Win User

How to drag and drop programs to desktop

I don't use Edge, but I have read that it gives no option about where to save downloads - they are always saved into your Downloads folder. So it would be a two step process. (1) download it (2) drag and drop from Downloads to Desktop.

By the way, it's a good habit to always use the right mouse button for drag and drop. Then you can choose between move or copy or create shortcut.

OldAussie, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Antilope Win User

Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button?

Windows 10 TP Modern Desktop Shortcuts

Here's how I add a Desktop Icon:

For Tiles:

You can drag a Program Tile to the Desktop and it will change to a Desktop shortcut icon (hold down left mouse button on tile icon and drag tile icon, release button when over the Desktop) .

For apps on the Apps list:

You can drag an App Icon from the Apps list to the Desktop and it will change to a Desktop shortcut icon (hold down left mouse button on App icon and drag App icon, release button when over the Desktop) .

The original Tile or App list icon stays in place, and a shortcut copy is dragged to the Desktop. You can also drag Tiles or Apps list icons directly to the Task bar in the same way.

Some of the Desktop icons created in this way are small and lack color. You can also fix this, right click on the Desktop icon, select Properties, then select the Change Icon button. Choose a new, larger, more colorful icon.

Antilope, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button?

1. Why does my desktop do this when I drag the mouse button? - Similar Threads - Why does desktop

2. Mouse Button Drag Lag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse Button Drag Lag: In Win 10, I select files in a folder, by holding down the mouse button, and dragging the arrow cursor over the files that I wish to select, but there is a serious delay or lagging of the blue shading, as the files are selected. How can this lagging be rectified? I appears to...
  3. Mouse Button Drag Lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Button Drag Lag: In Win 10, I select files in a folder, by holding down the mouse button, and dragging the arrow cursor over the files that I wish to select, but there is a serious delay or lagging of the blue shading, as the files are selected. How can this lagging be rectified? I appears to...
  4. Mouse Button Drag Lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Middle mouse button drag with the touchpad: Good morning, This might be an age old question but I need to find a way to perform this if I dont have a mouse with the notebook. CAD software traditionally use middle button drag for panning a drawing sheet or rotating the 3D model. Currently the left button drag mode...
  6. My mouse is double clicking when holding the mouse click button to drag pls help me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My mouse is double clicking when holding the mouse click button to drag pls help me: In adobe illustrator i were using pen tool to create curves but it was acting erratically then i thought it was software problem but when i select something in google by dragging the same thing is happening so pls help me is it the mouse problem or the driver i thought it was...
  7. My mouse is double clicking when holding the mouse click button to drag pls help me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My mouse is double clicking when holding the mouse click button to drag pls help me: In adobe illustrator i were using pen tool to create curves but it was acting erratically then i thought it was software problem but when i select something in google by dragging the same thing is happening so pls help me is it the mouse problem or the driver i thought it was...
  8. my wireless mouse will not drag and drop a usb mouse will why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my wireless mouse will not drag and drop a usb mouse will why?: My wireless mouse will not drag and drop. A usb mouse will. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wireless-mouse-will-not-drag-and-drop-a-usb/a524903c-a771-46a4-89a3-17f40e13768a
  9. I can't seem to save anything to my desktop...when I drag it to the desktop or do file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't seem to save anything to my desktop...when I drag it to the desktop or do file...: I follow the advice on another thread on making the "save to computer" the default but when I wanted to choose a place i clicked on DESKTOP and a message came up "no moniker for desktop" When I right click a file to see the properties the location is always...
  10. Right button drag bug on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right button drag bug on desktop: So when you right click and drag on desktop, the pop up menu appears on the position you clicked, instead of the position you released the mouse button. You have to then move all the way back to choose an option from the menu. I am amazed after decades this bug hasn't fixed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. My mouse is creating a shortcut when i drag folders

2. when i drag my mouse it creates a shortcut folder