Windows 10: Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?

Discus and support Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi! I have a MSI laptop with Windows 11, it remains closed all the time and the monitor it's connected via hdmi to an external usb-c hub. It works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Emanuele Vinci, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?

Hi! I have a MSI laptop with Windows 11, it remains closed all the time and the monitor it's connected via hdmi to an external usb-c hub. It works perfectly but every 20 minutes the monitor says "No signal". I've to disconnect and reconnect the cable every time, or to press monitor's power button to wake it up.What I've tried:sleep settings are set on Neverlid settings are set on Do nothingMy monitor is this:https://www.samsung.com/it/monitors/gaming/odyssey-crg9-49-inch-120hz-freesync-curved-lc49rg90ssrxen/My usb-c hub is this:https://www.amazon.it/dp/B087QZVQJX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_p

:)

Emanuele Vinci, Apr 6, 2023
  2. dessieval Win User

laptop hard drive turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity with external monitor, all times set on 30 minutes in settings

Hi, my laptop keeps going to sleep mode after only 2 minutes of inactivity when connected to an external monitor. I have Windows 10 Home, and in my power and sleep settings all of the turn off times are set to 30 minutes, same as in the advanced power
    settings. Also, it makes no difference if I have Multiple Displays on 'extend' or 'duplicate', or if I'm showing only on my external monitor. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, as this is beyond annoying. Thank you!

dessieval, Apr 6, 2023
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Apr 6, 2023
  4. mhansen2 Win User

Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?

Computer goes to sleep 2 minutes after last command

Despite performing the steps above, the 2 minute sleep problem has resurfaced. I use a HP laptop with external keyboard and monitor. Just for the fun of it, I left the laptop's lid open just enough for the display to illuminate and the sleep problem has disappeared. I have no idea why, but I'll live with it.

mhansen2, Apr 6, 2023
Thema:

Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?

1. Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes? - Similar Threads - Why does external

2. Why does my desktop not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my desktop not go to sleep?: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.”However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Why? What can I do to accomplish this simple task?...
  3. Why does my desktop not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my desktop not go to sleep?: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.”However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Why? What can I do to accomplish this simple task?...
  4. Why my computer does not go to sleep?

Why my computer does not go to sleep?: When i press sleep button on keyboard,my computer goes to sleep but it goes out in sleep and turn on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-does-not-go-to-sleep/1116b08a-5c37-4ca4-88cd-ea0fe3ad2cfe
  5. Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?

Why does my external monitor go to sleep after 20 minutes?: Hi! I have a MSI laptop with Windows 11, it remains closed all the time and the monitor it's connected via hdmi to an external usb-c hub. It works perfectly but every 20 minutes the monitor says "No signal". I've to disconnect and reconnect the cable every time, or to press...
  6. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  7. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  8. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Laptop “locks” 20 minutes after I connect it to an external monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop “locks” 20 minutes after I connect it to an external monitor: My laptop works completely fine without plugging it into the external monitor. However, once I plug it into my monitor using a HDMI cable, everytime I play a game like Valorant, it “locks” heard ppl say this is just the new hibernate after 10 mins of gameplay mid-game. I’ve...
  10. monitor sleeps after 10 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    monitor sleeps after 10 minutes: so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 the other day (clean install) and my monitors go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity i have my screen and computer set to never sleep everything is set to never no screensaver i have set system unattended sleep to never (ive set...