Windows 10: Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

Discus and support Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have 3 routers as access points with a laptop and a tv connected via ethernet cables. Periodically the laptop's ethernet connection stops working and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by webbrewers, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

I have 3 routers as access points with a laptop and a tv connected via ethernet cables. Periodically the laptop's ethernet connection stops working and I have to reboot the main router - even though wifi is still working and the ethernet line to the tv still works. The router is obviously still working fine, so what is Window's issue with the laptop line?

:)

webbrewers, Mar 4, 2023
  2. netuser78 Win User

Ethernet Connection Occasionally Drops

On occasion my ethernet connection drops and an auto-configuration address gets assigned by Windows 10. I purchased an ethernet card thinking the problem with the ethernet that is built into the motherboard, but the ethernet connection still randomly drops. The ethernet connection will randomly start working again. Yes, I disabled the onboard ethernet in the BIOS, so conflicts would not be an issue. I have no idea if the issue can be fixed or not. I have had this issue since I purchased this used computer in 2019. If it is the motherboard, then I will just live it with until the computer is replaced. I realize the issue is probably not easily fixable, but any suggestions will be appreciated. The DNS shown is the DNS of my VPN provider. Let me know if you need any other information.

Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't? 349372d1634940435t-ethernet-connection-occasionally-drops-ethernet1.png

Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't? 349375d1634940486t-ethernet-connection-occasionally-drops-ethernet2.png

netuser78, Mar 4, 2023
  3. laptop can't find wifi but connects with ethernet cable

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

1. Make sure the router SSID broadcast is on.
    2. Change the wifi channel to see if it resolves the problem.
    3. Enter the SSID and WPA2 password manually and see if the laptop connects.
    4. Temporarily turn off the encryption.
    5. We go into device manager & check updates for wifi drivers, we may need to simply update the driver.
    6. We go to Settings - Network & Internet - Status - Change Adapter Options, then right-clicked 'Ethernet' and disabled it. We do the same with wifi. Then we (with Ethernet still disabled) enabled wifi. It should re-connect to your wifi after a while.
    7. We have to disconnect our Ethernet cable from our laptop and follow the steps:
      Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the wifi networks.
      Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, we will be asked to give a password for our wifi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to our wifi network via wireless.
    8. First is to disconnect the internet cable from the laptop then uninstall/reinstall the wifi adapter.
      Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
      Once uninstalled, reboot the laptop and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
      After the reboot do try connecting to your wireless network again.
      If all these will not work, do also make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled. Depending the model of your laptop there should be key combinations on how to enable/disable it.

Daisy Zhou, Mar 4, 2023
  4. Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

Windows 10 No Longer Connects to Ethernet and WiFi

This week brought Win10 ver 1903 and I can no longer get WiFi to connect if the ethernet cable is plugged in. If I boot with ethernet, manually trying to connect WiFi silently fails. If I boot without ethernet, WiFi is automatically connected yet drops
    if I plug in the ethernet cable. Both the WiFi and the ethernet work fine by themselves, just not at the same time so I don't think it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

PrestonClark4, Mar 4, 2023
Thema:

Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

1. Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't? - Similar Threads - Why does laptop

2. Ethernet not connecting to WIFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not connecting to WIFI: Does anyone know why my ethernet is not connecting to my WIFI. I have disabled the drivers and restarted my router and modem. It no longer shows the same SSID....
  3. Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?: I have 3 routers as access points with a laptop and a tv connected via ethernet cables. Periodically the laptop's ethernet connection stops working and I have to reboot the main router - even though wifi is still working and the ethernet line to the tv still works. The router...
  4. Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my laptop ethernet connection drop but wifi and ethernet connected tv don't?: I have 3 routers as access points with a laptop and a tv connected via ethernet cables. Periodically the laptop's ethernet connection stops working and I have to reboot the main router - even though wifi is still working and the ethernet line to the tv still works. The router...
  5. ethernet & WIFI connections

ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  6. ethernet & WIFI connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  7. Ethernet or Wifi connection

Ethernet or Wifi connection: If I am connected to the internet with both the ethernet and WIFI connections, how can I tell which one is in use?Is it possible that they are both being used?Will my PC automatically choose the better one?...
  8. OpenVPN connection causes Wifi/ethernet to drop

OpenVPN connection causes Wifi/ethernet to drop: The problem appears to be the TAP interpreted by my computer as an ethernet connection stealing the connection away from my Wifi or ethernet internet connection. Then my wifi/ethernet keep reconnecting/disconnecting, but never establishing an internet connection more than a...
  9. Ethernet connection drops

Ethernet connection drops: I am having problems with my internet connection for my PC. The connection is via an Ethernet connectiion to the modem, not via Wi-Fi. Occasionally, the connection will drop and the only way I can re-connect is by restarting the PC. The problem is not with the modem (which...
  10. Connected by Ethernet and WiFi

Connected by Ethernet and WiFi: Right now my computer is connected by 1.0 Gbps Ethernet and 1.3 Gbps WiFi. Can Windows 10 take advantage of this or should I disable one these connections? 83525