Windows 10: Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?

Discus and support Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I feel stupid. I'm starting to think because it's so used to running with the monitor hooked up that it's now slow running without it. Logically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MrktngDsgnr, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?

I feel stupid. I'm starting to think because it's so used to running with the monitor hooked up that it's now slow running without it.

Logically speaking now: Could it be since my laptop's screen is 4k and the monitor is a standard 1920x1080? I do not know the refresh rate of the external monitor but my laptop is 59Hz.

submitted by /u/MrktngDsgnr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MrktngDsgnr, Mar 5, 2020
  2. AJMazza Win User

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Mar 5, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

LemP, Mar 5, 2020
  4. Chrise Win User

Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?

Laptop External Monitor Problem

Thank you once again, I will explain:

• Today 10th November 2016 - After monitor eventually successfully connects to my HP laptop, in my absence when the laptop/monitor powers off, I get NO re-connection problems during the day
    • Tomorrow 11th November 2016 - After laptop and monitor has been restarted following, shut-down, power offs(laptop + monitor) I will be stuck once again with exactly the same problem

In my display settings each morning, my HP laptop shows it is connected to my external monitor, however there is no display on the external monitor for a vast amount of time, just randomly suddenly appears.?

Chrise, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?

1. Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor? - Similar Threads - Why does laptop

2. Why can't my laptop suddenly connect to my external monitors.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't my laptop suddenly connect to my external monitors.: Was working Friday and now Monday nothing. I have 2 monitor set ups - one at work and one at home and neither are now connecting. I have restarted, disconnected and reconnected....
  3. Why can't my laptop suddenly connect to my external monitors.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't my laptop suddenly connect to my external monitors.: Was working Friday and now Monday nothing. I have 2 monitor set ups - one at work and one at home and neither are now connecting. I have restarted, disconnected and reconnected....
  4. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  5. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?: Everytime i connect my external monitor to my laptop by usb my laptop screen goes black and my external monitor freezes. When I disconnect it and reconnect it my laptop stays on a black screen and my external screen too.To fix it ive been shutting down my computer and...
  6. Why does my laptop go black after connecting to external monitor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  8. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  9. My laptop runs slower when plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop runs slower when plugged in: About a year ago, my laptop started running considerably slower when plugged in to power when running games that were running perfectly fine earlier. I've tried going to other people's similar posts on this issue, but nothing I've tried has worked, and I'm finally at the...
  10. Laptop running slower & slower

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop running slower & slower: I have a Toshiba S75-A7270 with a 700Gb Hard drive with only 164GB used and 8Gb memory. Running Windows 10 build 17134. It has an intel i5-3230M processor. Bios version is 2.7 and Bios mode is UEFI. This machine has been getting slower and slower. It boots up slowly and...