Windows 10: Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?

Discus and support Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know what happened but my OS wants to open all URL file types with the same program, even after I reset the associations back to default with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Omega Initiate, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?

I don't know what happened but my OS wants to open all URL file types with the same program, even after I reset the associations back to default with this: Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 For example Runescape launcher, Steam game shortcuts, and Bethesda game shortcuts are all URL file shortcuts; I have Runescape launcher set to open with Runescape launcher so my OS sets all the other game URL shortcuts to open with Runescape launcher. How do I make my OS allow me to set what URLs are opened with independently?

Windows Version: 1809 (OS Build 17763.1039)

:)

Omega Initiate, Feb 28, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 28, 2020
  3. DCnewbie Win User
    Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?

When clicking the files getting error that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Hello,

I understand that when you try to open the file, you are prompted that the files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. We will certainly help you.

• What file are you trying to open?
    This issue is caused if the file is not associated with any of the application or program to open it.

If those files are the pictures as I can see that you are trying to access the picture folder. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves.

• Right click on the file and select Open with.
    • Select Photo App or Photo Gallery.
    • Double click and check if you are able to open that file.
    Keep us posted if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?

1. Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program? - Similar Threads - Why does open

2. I want to open a file and change the default program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to open a file and change the default program: I want to open a file but my default program is paint and my only other choice is to download one from the store but the program I would like to use is not on the store...
  3. Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's: Hi all - Have this strange problem. Take a peek - just an example of the error not the application type: [img] This occurs with all desktop shortcuts to URL's after I reset my Default Apps in PC Settings. Checked and made temporary changes to UAC, Smart Screen, Group...
  4. Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's: Hi all - Have this strange problem. Take a peek - just an example of the error not the application type: [img] This occurs with all desktop shortcuts to URL's after I reset my Default Apps in PC Settings. Checked and made temporary changes to UAC, Smart Screen, Group...
  5. URL file not opening correctly

in Browsers and Email
    URL file not opening correctly: Could someone tell me how to get a .url file to open correctly with a shortcut to chrome.exe instead of just chrome.exe? When I ask for the URL to open (app chosen is shortcut to chrome) I get this in the pic attached. [img] I need it to open from the shortcut because I...
  6. URL file not opening correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    URL file not opening correctly: Could someone tell me how to get a .url file to open correctly with a shortcut to chrome.exe instead of just chrome.exe? When I ask for the URL to open (app chosen is shortcut to chrome) I get this in the pic attached. [img] I need it to open from the shortcut because I...
  7. Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my OS want to open all URL files with the same program?: I don't know what happened but my OS wants to open all URL file types with the same program, even after I reset the associations back to default with this: Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 For example Runescape launcher, Steam game shortcuts, and Bethesda...
  8. Why does one of my programs open then disappear

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does one of my programs open then disappear: Why does one of my programs open then disappear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-one-of-my-programs-open-then-disappear/f76b9443-64fe-40fa-8910-a1266d11bed3
  9. After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or...: Hi, This has happened to me recently on two occasions after updating software, and I haven't managed to solve it. I would update a program, then not be able to use the program afterwards. Occasion 1 - Flowjo I performed an update. The program was installed, click on the...
  10. Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?

in Browsers and Email
    Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?: One things that regularly upsets me with Edge is that it does not offer a quick and easy way to grab and save a URL from the address field. With IE and all other browsers I know you can grab the URL (or the icon to the left of it) and drag it to your desktop, to some folder,...