Windows 10: Why does my PC keep restarting with BSOD or just plain turns off?

Discus and support Why does my PC keep restarting with BSOD or just plain turns off? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently my PC has been either randomly restarting, randomly turning completely off with only the power light on, or randomly turning off, rebooting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JasonWren, Aug 26, 2020.

1. JasonWren Win User

Why does my PC keep restarting with BSOD or just plain turns off?

Recently my PC has been either randomly restarting, randomly turning completely off with only the power light on, or randomly turning off, rebooting and then not displaying anything. Every so often there is also a visual static that flashes for a fraction of a second

:)

JasonWren, Aug 26, 2020
  2. Binge Win User

Random Restarts, No BSOD

He mentioned that he had done that above. Also I provided a BSOD details app. There were no BSODs to report.

Binge, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Random Restarts, No BSOD

Reboot and hit F8 to get into the Windows Diagnostic Settings before Windows boots. Turn off "Automatic Restart on System Failure." This way we can completely rule out BSODs. Sometimes a PC will BSOD but the PC will restart so quickly that the BSOD is not even rendered.

Random Murderer, Aug 26, 2020
  4. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does my PC keep restarting with BSOD or just plain turns off? - Similar Threads - Why does keep

2. My pc keeps turning off and restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps turning off and restarting on its own: For the past couple days my computer has been experiencing random shutdowns, it restarts right away and there is no BSOD, also while its restarting most of the time i gotta hold down the power button to completely shut it down because its not entirely powering on after the...
  3. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  4. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  5. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself: why does my computer keep turning on and off by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-does-my-computer-keep-turning-on-and-off-by/eae71674-2474-407b-acea-848b26542461
  7. Why does my PC constantly turns off and on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my PC constantly turns off and on?: When I click the power button it boots up then after sometime it shuts down, boots up again and does the same thing for 5+ more times then shuts down but it can charge my phone, it can light up a lamp using the usb ports, my speaker indicates that the speaker is on but the...
  8. Why does my pc just turn off rather than restarting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my pc just turn off rather than restarting?: My cpu is overheating and im going to change the thermal laste but im not sure if thats the problem Gpu: gtx 1060 3gb Cpu: core i7 8700k submitted by /u/NachoSeventeen [link] [comments]...
  9. Why does the volume keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does the volume keep turning off?: I use a Sony VAIO laptop. For some reason, the volume keeps muting when it is in sleep mode. How do I disable this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-the-volume-keep-turning-off/4df52b74-0539-4140-bba4-1a80452016cd
  10. why does it keep turning my internet off?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why does it keep turning my internet off?: when I start my laptop after like 1hour it randomly turns off my internet and when I try to reconnect to it it doesn't let me so I have to restart my laptop every time. why does it do that?...