Windows 10: Why does my PC lag after I update windows?

Discus and support Why does my PC lag after I update windows? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, First of all, let me list my PC specs so you guys know what my PC can and cannot do: MSI B150 PCMATE motherboard, 16GB DDR4 ram, MSI RX480... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jawad_157, Jul 28, 2019.

1. jawad_157 Win User

Why does my PC lag after I update windows?

Hello,

First of all, let me list my PC specs so you guys know what my PC can and cannot do:

MSI B150 PCMATE motherboard, 16GB DDR4 ram, MSI RX480 8GB, 600W EVGA PSU, Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler, i5-6500 cpu

My problem has been happening for the past 2 years and I have yet to find a solution. Here's what happens:

After I update windows, my mouse starts lagging a little bit anytime my CPU usage reaches a high enough level. What's weird is that this problem only occurs with some updates. I am pretty sure the problem is that on certain updates, my CPU handles things differently which causes my CPU usage to reach higher levels than usual.

Some applications show this mouse "lag" a little more than others. Let's take Google Chrome as an example. My Chrome has 4 browsers opened each with 15-25+ tabs opened. I know what you guys are thinking. That is quite a bit. However, my PC seems to handle it just fine on some days and terribly on days when I update windows. When the problem exists, the lag happens right as I open Chrome. My CPU usage goes to 100% and then decays after 5 seconds. When everything is good, I can open Chrome up without my mouse lagging at all.

Another example is in games. For example, in shooter games such as Apex Legends and Rainbow Six Siege, it feels like my sensitivity drops suddenly (the sensitivity dropping is an indication of the mouse lag where instead of the cursor lagging, my ability to turn the character is decreased).

I observed another thing that might be a coincidence: updating graphics drivers right after windows updates fixes the issue (sometimes). I have had instances where my mouse lag exists after a windows update but goes away if I update my graphics card driver. However, I recently had a windows update that caused the mouse lag and updating the graphics card driver right after did not fix the issue. Now, this was not a major update. Rather, this update was one of AMD's "Optional Updates", so maybe that's why it didn't work. I haven't paid much attention to whether the lag resolves after major graphics updates, so I will make sure to do that next time I have a major update.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an easy way to fix this inconsistent lag.

Can someone help me find a source for this problem? Why is the problem so inconsistent and why does it occur after windows updates? I am almost 100% sure that updating windows causes the mouse lag to reappear, but I am not sure as to why on some days it goes away after a windows update whereas on other days, I have to wait for a new windows update just to hope for the problem to go away. Why would certain windows updates cause my CPU to behave differently towards applications that I usually have no problems on? Chrome seems to be the most weirdest example. Why is it that if a windows update goes well, I can open my Chrome (with 70+ tabs split between 4 windows) for the first time and no mouse lag happens and when a windows update goes "bad" (as in the mouse lag is there), my CPU usage goes to 100% right as Chrome opens up?

Thanks,

J

:)

jawad_157, Jul 28, 2019
  2. Jose Est Win User

Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 28, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Why does my PC lag after I update windows? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 28, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Why does my PC lag after I update windows? - Similar Threads - Why does lag

2. why does my pc lag whenever I get onto a game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does my pc lag whenever I get onto a game?: whenever I open a game my ping spikes and goes to sometimes 1000 ping or more. its only when i open a game too, I'm pretty sure it's a pc problem because my brother whenever he plays on his pc it doesn't lag....
  3. why does my pc lag whenever I get onto a game?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my pc lag whenever I get onto a game?: whenever I open a game my ping spikes and goes to sometimes 1000 ping or more. its only when i open a game too, I'm pretty sure it's a pc problem because my brother whenever he plays on his pc it doesn't lag....
  4. Why does PC lag until I restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does PC lag until I restart: When I boot my gaming PC and type in my pin. It takes about 15 seconds to get into Microsoft account it loads forever. Then when I open a video game, mostly Valorant my game is super laggy and unplayable. But when I restart my PC the problem fixes....
  5. Why does PC lag until I restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does PC lag until I restart: When I boot my gaming PC and type in my pin. It takes about 15 seconds to get into Microsoft account it loads forever. Then when I open a video game, mostly Valorant my game is super laggy and unplayable. But when I restart my PC the problem fixes....
  6. Why does PC lag until I restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Why is my windows 10 pc lagging so much after I activated it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my windows 10 pc lagging so much after I activated it: So recently I decided to activate windows but then I get this problem where every now and then I get this lag spike that makes all my games unplayable and applications stop responding does anyone know how to fix this?...
  8. Why is my windows 10 pc lagging so much after I activated it

Why is my windows 10 pc lagging so much after I activated it: So recently I decided to activate windows but then I get this problem where every now and then I get this lag spike that makes all my games unplayable and applications stop responding does anyone know how to fix this?...
  9. Why does Windows 10 Lag

Why does Windows 10 Lag: Split from this thread. good day,i have acer windows10.my question is why is it so lag?id check my device if its updated,but it is.i wonder why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-lag/246cbb1b-85de-4518-91d7-9ce3a1a19713
  10. why does my keyboard lag?

in Windows 10 Customization
    why does my keyboard lag?: keyboard occasionally lags especially in taskbar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-keyboard-lag/a0f791ae-af1a-44e0-b284-d325e9aa373c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why after updating windows google is lag