Windows 10: Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected?

Discus and support Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am working with my IT administrator to solve a problem with one of our school computers. We had to upgrade one computer setup from one monitor to two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WardWC, Aug 27, 2020.

1. WardWC Win User

Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected?

I am working with my IT administrator to solve a problem with one of our school computers. We had to upgrade one computer setup from one monitor to two monitors. Everything worked great except the projector because that is only connected by VGA and the monitors were connected via displayport to displayport. We got an adapter so one monitor would be plugged directly into the computer and the other monitor is plugged in to the displayport to VGA adapter. However, now the projector works fine but the second monitor isn't displaying what's on Windows. I have my main monitor and my other monitor is the one that is able to be projected. That monitor says no signal but it shows up on the projector with no problem. I can drag a window from my main monitor to the right and it should appear on the blank monitor but instead it appears onto the projector. I know Windows recognizes my main monitor and the projector as the second monitor. But my actual second monitor says no signal when the projector is connected. We have confirmed that all hardware is good and it must be an issue with Windows. How can we get our second monitor to show what the projector is showing?

:)

WardWC, Aug 27, 2020

2. issue with second monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to download the display driver from the manufacturer's website. If there are no driver for windows 10, download the latest driver and install it in compatibility mode by following the steps below:

After you have downloaded the driver:

a) Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select "Properties".

b) Select "Compatibility" Tab.

c) Place a check mark next to "Run this program in Compatibility mode" and select the

appropriate operating system from the drop down list.

d) Let the driver install and then check the functionality

I would also suggest you to refer to the link below for steps to set up dual monitor in your system.

Connect a second monitor or projector (Applies to windows 10)

You can also refer to the suggestion by Karthik from this link
    for more information.

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Wungraileng1709, Aug 27, 2020
  3. HDMI to monitor but not projector

Thanks. Drivers are up to date. Dell are now suggesting I need a new motherboard, which seems a bit extreme! I have now discovered that if I switch on either laptop or projector when connected by HDMI, it will owrk. But there is no 'plug and play' with the
    projector, though there is with a monitor.

So at least I have a workaround, and that's good enough, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Richard.

RichardSeel, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected?

I accidentally hit the update button instead of postpone and now my second monitor does not work.

Hello,

I suggest you to unplug the cable from the monitor and connect to the second monitor, and check if it works.

Also, suggest you to follow the below steps, and check if it helps.
    1. Press Windows + X, and select Device manager.
    2. Check if the second monitor is listed under Monitor.

Also, recommend you to refer below link answered by

KelvinNikkel , and check if it helps in resolving the issue.
    Why Does My Second Monitor Not Work With The Windows 10 Update?

Do let us know with the update of the issue.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected?

1. Why does my second monitor not work when my projector is connected? - Similar Threads - Why does second

2. Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor?: Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor? My display shows all three screens, my laptop screen and two other monitors. But my curser won't move over to the third monitor....
  3. Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor?: Why won't my curser show on my second connected monitor? My display shows all three screens, my laptop screen and two other monitors. But my curser won't move over to the third monitor....
  4. Projector as a 2nd monitor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Projector as a 2nd monitor not working: I have a projector hooked up to be a 2nd monitor. When I go to 'Advanced Monitor settings", I am able to see two minitors: 1 the computer monitor, 2 projector and I am able to see the Desktop on the projection screen. I'll walk away for half an hour or so, and the display is...
  5. My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC: My updates are not updating for windows and this is causing my 2nd monitor to not connect to my PC. Ive tried to get a hold of an agent and no reply and nothing has worked....
  6. My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC: My updates are not updating for windows and this is causing my 2nd monitor to not connect to my PC. Ive tried to get a hold of an agent and no reply and nothing has worked....
  7. My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my laptop run slower when it's NOT connected to my external monitor?: I feel stupid. I'm starting to think because it's so used to running with the monitor hooked up that it's now slow running without it. Logically speaking now: Could it be since my laptop's screen is 4k and the monitor is a standard 1920x1080? I do not know the refresh rate...
  9. Why does my PC not connect to Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my PC not connect to Monitor: Purchased new monitor but my PC will not connect tried a new driver but sill need a new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-pc-not-connect-to-monitor/ccc8235d-a01c-4282-819e-febd4c8b0976
  10. My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works: For some unknown reason the HDMI connection between my laptop and my second monitor no longer works. The monitor itself is working fine, but it now gets no connection from my laptop. Worse, because I had set it to the #1 display, when I connect the two, the control panel and...