Windows 10: Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations?

Discus and support Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've noticed that Super+searching when the taskbar is located at the bottom of my screen works fine with a fixed or auto hide taskbar. When I try the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TylerGillispie, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations?

I've noticed that Super+searching when the taskbar is located at the bottom of my screen works fine with a fixed or auto hide taskbar. When I try the same on either side or the top, only a fixed taskbar allows searching.I've also noticed some other interesting behaviour. If I am using an auto hide taskbar on anything but the bottom edge, and the mouse is oriented over the taskbar, superkey and typing works as expected.I'm curious if there is a configurable setting that can affect this behavior?Regards,Tyler

:)

TylerGillispie, Aug 16, 2021
  2. APG6 Win User

my taskbar search is working sporadically

My taskbar search bar is working some of the time. For example, if I type in "TaskMgr", it will list taskmgr, and when I click on it, it opens my Task Manager, as expected.

But if I type in a file name or an app, like WinMerge, it will list them properly in the Search list, but if I click on them, either nothing happens or it takes me to the root window of File Explorer, instead of to the file or the app.

I ran through all the steps on this page, to no avail: How to fix search problems in Windows 10 | Windows Central

Any ideas?

3. Taskbar search

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly send us a screenshot and provide more details by answering the following questions:

• When you say "taskbar search function", do you mean the Start menu search field?
    • Are you getting any error messages upon accessing the taskbar search?
    Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, we suggest that you run the System file checker and DISM tool to fix issues with corrupted system files that may be causing the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

• Press Windows Key + X on your keyboard.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type or copy these commands followed by hitting Enter:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Do let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Aug 16, 2021
  4. D. Joe Win User

Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations?

Taskbar search

Did not do anything to help. The search in File Explorer works fine. The first and last screen shot shows a search leading to no results but the file explorer finds them just fine. The last one shows my indexing options.

Thank you

PS: can't get the screenshots to upload....

D. Joe, Aug 16, 2021
Thema:

Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations?

1. Why does my Super key Windows + typing to search only work in certain taskbar configurations? - Similar Threads - Why does Super

2. Web Search does not work when typing into Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web Search does not work when typing into Windows Search: This issue has been troubling me for a long time. Whenever I try to look for something on the web in the Windows search bar, I always get an "Open In Browser" option. No search results whatsoever.https://ibb.co/fM6Jq5t https://ibb.co/5YRSSJ9Had to upload images to ibb because...
  3. Web Search does not work when typing into Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web Search does not work when typing into Windows Search: This issue has been troubling me for a long time. Whenever I try to look for something on the web in the Windows search bar, I always get an "Open In Browser" option. No search results whatsoever.https://ibb.co/fM6Jq5t https://ibb.co/5YRSSJ9Had to upload images to ibb because...
  4. Why does my windows key only work until I open a game?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my windows key only work until I open a game?: I have tried many things, game mode is off, both on the computer and on the keyboard. I have a logitech g213 if that's relevant. It works fine on any application, but it automatically stops working when I open a game. The games I have tried are Minecraft and Valorant....
  5. HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP - type search in start / search from taskbar not working: Typing in my start menu and search box from the taskbar doesn't work. Search within explorer works fine, I have tried reindexing but to no avail. Symptom: Press start key (or click menu) type gimp only g appears in the search box, pause for a second no search results and...
  6. My windows taskbar search and windows button does not work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows taskbar search and windows button does not work: So I have an old laptop that I like to bring around with me to use and play video games on and recently I can not click left click anything on my taskbar or the windows button. Pressing the actual windows key does not work either and when I go to change the sound or connect...
  7. taskbar search does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar search does not work: Taskbar search block come up, but any entry gets a blank screen - no results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search-does-not-work/5f5d7bac-ad3d-40b6-8813-71f3ea0b867d
  8. search does not work in certain folders

in Cortana
    search does not work in certain folders: Idk why but search just doesn't work in certain folders mostly a user folder for a non hotmail account that can no longer be logged into how do I fix this?...
  9. USB only works with certain type of usb devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB only works with certain type of usb devices: after upgraded to Win10 Ver1809. the usb port with a "ss" mark on my HP OMEN 2gen laptops can only work with usb thumb drives and usb HDDs. none of usb extension hub, keyboard, mice, webcam and even iPhone wont be able to get connected or charged on the usb port. I tried...
  10. keys on my key board only work when my laptop is at a certain angle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keys on my key board only work when my laptop is at a certain angle: I need help with this, some keys wont work, unless my laptop is at an angle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keys-on-my-key-board-only-work-when-my-laptop-is/cf117b29-f764-4426-b972-50d095e8d986