Windows 10: Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ?

Discus and support Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since moving to Windows 10, I find my USB thumb drive continuously gets set to read-only somehow and would like to know why and how to stop the setting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Betsy Riggins, May 24, 2019.

1. Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ?

Since moving to Windows 10, I find my USB thumb drive continuously gets set to read-only somehow and would like to know why and how to stop the setting from getting changed.

I correct the access by modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect and setting it to 0 so I do not need to know how to correct the setting but want to know how to stop it from being changed again since modifying the registry requires a reboot to take effect and is disruptive.

Is there a way to find out why is changing the drive access ?

How do I stop the USB drive from getting set to write-protect ?

Thanks for any assistance.

:)

Betsy Riggins, May 24, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, May 24, 2019
  3. Usb disconnects and recoonects repeatedly

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions.

• Is the issue particular to connecting phone or Hard drive?
    • Does the issue occur with both (3.0 & 2.0) the USB ports?

I suggest you to update the drivers by following the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert with necessary information to assist you better.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 24, 2019
  4. wags1 Win User

Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ?

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Thanks again for helping. Yes, I've found and tried those instructions prior to posting. Nothing seems to work. It is ridiculous that Windows basically trashes a perfectly good USB stick when it creates a recovery disk. Their should be a way to clear it off so you can use it again but I guess not. Probably going to just give up and toss it....they are cheap enough these days.

wags1, May 24, 2019
Thema:

Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ?

1. Why does my USB drive repeatedly get set to Read only ? - Similar Threads - Why does USB

2. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  3. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  4. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  5. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  6. USB not working (read-only)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB not working (read-only): [ATTACH] Please can someone Enlighten me just WHAT THE HELL am I supposed to do here. how to clear current read-only state!! At first it started giving error during format then I cleared read-only but I did not pay attention to (CURRENT READ-ONLY STATE : YES) then when I...
  7. why are my files read-only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why are my files read-only: This morning, I tried to update a file I opened yesterday, but was unable to because it was read-only. I checked, and all of my folders and files are now read-only. I changed all of them on one of my external drives, but when I restarted all were again read-only. I found a...
  8. USB drive has become "read only"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive has become "read only": USB drive has become "read only". Cannot format, delete, anything. How can I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-has-become-read-only/803fd445-e7f5-468b-990f-c11c955d38d8
  9. Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!

Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!: Hello. My computer displays that I have 8gb of ram. However, when I got the computer, it had 16. Are the ram cards fused or broken, or is it something to do with unactivated Win 10 Edu? Thanks for any help yall can provide. 74766
  10. USB drive having SSD shows read only

USB drive having SSD shows read only: Recently, I connected a new SSD as a USB drive. It shows "Write Protected" in windows 10. However, same one if I connect to Windows 8.1, then the write protection is not there. Can not do driver update under windows 10 as it is write protected. Has anyone faced similar...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why usb drive set to read only

2. key usb readonly w10