Windows 10: Why does my win key have no function?

Discus and support Why does my win key have no function? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says, my win key (the one with the windows logo on it) doesn't have any functionality, I can't do shortcuts using it, I have to open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AwesomeBros132, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Why does my win key have no function?

As the title says, my win key (the one with the windows logo on it) doesn't have any functionality, I can't do shortcuts using it, I have to open the start menu using CTRL = ESC. Any fix to this or any reason as to why I can't use the win button

submitted by /u/AwesomeBros132
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AwesomeBros132, Jan 29, 2021

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Inverting Function Keys

Hi Daeri,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Are you able to use function keys using on screen keyboard?

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to try using on screen keyboard and check if you are able to use the functionality of function key.

To open on screen keyboard, type on screen keyboard in the
    search box on the taskbar and select on screen keyboard.

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Why does my win key have no function?

Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Why does my win key have no function?

1. Why does my win key have no function? - Similar Threads - Why does key

2. Why have my function keys changed?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why have my function keys changed?: Recently I've been having problems with my Fn keys with my keyboard I'm using a PC with windows 10.Both today and yesterday my Fn keys have changed to what I believe to be the keyboard manufacturers settings rather than the default windows settings, i.e. F11 no longer goes...
  3. Why my laptop function keys are not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my laptop function keys are not working?: My laptop function keys are not working. @MiCrOsOfT please respond with a solution. I have done all troubleshooting. But still facing same issue....
  4. Why my laptop function keys are not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my laptop function keys are not working?: My laptop function keys are not working. @MiCrOsOfT please respond with a solution. I have done all troubleshooting. But still facing same issue....
  5. WHY DOES WIN11 HAVE SO MANY BROKEN FUNCTIONS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHY DOES WIN11 HAVE SO MANY BROKEN FUNCTIONS?: WIN11 has drive issues: it drops drives; it cannot see drives even as I navigate them in another window; in goes into some kind of infinite loop read process when some drives are attached, where that 'some drive' can change from day to day. And of course iPhones used to...
  6. WHY DOES WIN11 HAVE SO MANY BROKEN FUNCTIONS?

WHY DOES WIN11 HAVE SO MANY BROKEN FUNCTIONS?: WIN11 has drive issues: it drops drives; it cannot see drives even as I navigate them in another window; in goes into some kind of infinite loop read process when some drives are attached, where that 'some drive' can change from day to day. And of course iPhones used to...
  7. Why does the new 11 have so many issues and does not function well?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the new 11 have so many issues and does not function well?: How can you send out 11 when you knew drivers would be affected? Every 30 minutes my computer asks me to shut down and is due to driver issues after the new version was loaded. WHY do you now have to go through so many steps to just print a pdf when right clicking, you now...
  8. Why does the new 11 have so many issues and does not function well?

Why does the new 11 have so many issues and does not function well?: How can you send out 11 when you knew drivers would be affected? Every 30 minutes my computer asks me to shut down and is due to driver issues after the new version was loaded. WHY do you now have to go through so many steps to just print a pdf when right clicking, you now...
  9. Change what the Function key does

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change what the Function key does: How do we change the function the 'fn key' is doing? I wanna add a function on a key to change to the next song on Groove. There was a key for that in the older versions of Dell Laptops, but now there is no key for it....
  10. Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"?: When I first installed Win 10, I found this whole programs and appz thing confusing. I've always thought the two words were synonymous. A button for the weather or the news isn't an app, it's a link. I had to install Classic Shell so I could unclutter this thing and finally...