Windows 10: Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...

Discus and support Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I've just bought a new laptop and thus switched from good old Windows 10 to not-so-good Windows 11. For some reason the sleep mode doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by .Marysia, Feb 5, 2023.

1. .Marysia Win User

Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...

Hello,I've just bought a new laptop and thus switched from good old Windows 10 to not-so-good Windows 11. For some reason the sleep mode doesn't activate when I close the lid. The thing is, I've searched this forum and I've done all the things suggested - I opened the control panel and changed the functions of power buttons I picked 'shutdown' for the main power button and 'sleep mode' for closing the lid, I've restarted the power plan etc. and the problem still persists. Please, help me fix it, I've run out of options.Kind regards,Mary

:)

.Marysia, Feb 5, 2023

2. Sleep mode when lid is closed

When I close the lid of my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7, the computer doesn NOT go to sleep. The settings in Control Panel are correct: When I Close The Lid I have put SLEEP for battery and plugged in mode. How can I get it to go back to working normally
    and putting my laptop to sleep mode when I close the lid? I already had Windows 7 re-installed, but the problem is still there. Thank you Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the... :)

louisalouisa, Feb 5, 2023
  3. heartsg Win User
    Closing the lid will only enter into sleep by chance

I have a thinkpad X1 carbon, and upgraded to Windows 10.

Everything worked fine including sleep.

Suddenly one day ( well I can't really recall which day, just recently), I noticed that when I close the lid, it won't enter into sleep.

If I open the lid, and close the lid again in short time, it will enter into sleep then.

I then started testing, and close and open close and open.

Generally, the behaviour is like this:

1. If I close the lid, 9 out of 10 will not sleep, and there's some chance that it will sleep.

2. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid again, and close the lid again in shor time, 9 out of 10 it will sleep at the second close.

3. If I close the lid (no sleep), open the lid, and do some operation (browsing etc), then close the lid, it will not sleep (see step 1)

4. If I change the settings to : close the lid then hibernate, then it works everytime, closing the lid will hibernate the computer.

5. In battery mode, the sleep works when lid is closed, only in plugged-in mode, the sleep doesn't work!

My attempts:

1. I tried to see the system event log, and found that, if I close the lid, and the comuter is not in sleep mode, it enters into Away mode. So it did detect the closing action, and tried to do something, but decided to go to away rather than sleep, which
    is really rediculous.

2. I tried to seach on the forum, and found some media sharing stuff, I tried all settings, including disable media sharing, they didn't solve my problem.

3. I also tried to use "powercfg -requests" in cmd window and found there are none applications that is preventing the system from entering into sleep.

4. I tried to set every single power settings of plugged-in mode to be as same as "battery" mode, no use. Battery still works and plugged in mode still not working most of the time.

5. System restore is not an option because I disabled system restore (harddisk is too small for system restore).

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

heartsg, Feb 5, 2023
  4. Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 5, 2023
Thema:

Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...

1. Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the... - Similar Threads - Why does does

2. Is there any way where the laptop does not go to sleep when the lid is closed and it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way where the laptop does not go to sleep when the lid is closed and it is...: I work in hybrid schedule where I want the laptop to stay awake when the lid is closed and it is connected to external monitor my WFH set-up and go the sleep when the lid is closed and the external monitor is not closed for when I am in office. Is there any way I can do this?...
  3. Is there any way where the laptop does not go to sleep when the lid is closed and it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way where the laptop does not go to sleep when the lid is closed and it is...: I work in hybrid schedule where I want the laptop to stay awake when the lid is closed and it is connected to external monitor my WFH set-up and go the sleep when the lid is closed and the external monitor is not closed for when I am in office. Is there any way I can do this?...
  4. Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Windows 11 does not go to the sleep mode when I close the lid, despite the...: Hello,I've just bought a new laptop and thus switched from good old Windows 10 to not-so-good Windows 11. For some reason the sleep mode doesn't activate when I close the lid. The thing is, I've searched this forum and I've done all the things suggested - I opened the control...
  5. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  6. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  7. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  8. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  9. Why does my laptop shutdown when I close the lid?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my laptop shutdown when I close the lid?: Why does my laptop always shutdown when I close the lid? I always have to restart my work and it is super annoying.[ATTACH] These are my settings....
  10. Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing lid does NOT put pc to sleep mode.: I've verified the correct Settings, even run hardware troubleshooter. Any suggestions? DELL Inspiron 5555 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-lid-does-not-put-pc-to-sleep-mode/aed5d80b-574d-4547-8b9a-f41a99e6030d