Windows 10: Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat?

Discus and support Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've reinstalled all of my old stuff, but it's almost as if the drive hasn't indexed anything. For example, I downloaded Sea of Thieves from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat?

I've reinstalled all of my old stuff, but it's almost as if the drive hasn't indexed anything. For example, I downloaded Sea of Thieves from the windows Store, and this program is literally in my start menu. But, for whatever reason, windows search can't find it.. I downloaded chrome, it can't find it. I downloaded discord, it can't find it. What's going on here? Any ideas? THanks!

For a little more info, I reformatted/reinstalled using the windows cloud "Rest this PC" feature, so I have a windows.old folder.

submitted by /u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChipsAhoiMcCoy, Dec 24, 2020
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working Easily (2020 Guide) | Geek's Advice

MattCorey, Dec 24, 2020
  3. Recover or Reformat?

The reformat won't budge?

I did what you said and then was told to remove the CD from the CD-Rom Drive, put in the recovery CD and then press the 'OK' button to continue

So I changed to the next disk but the OK doesn't appear to be being 'pressed'. Yes I have pushed enter on the keyboard which is what I have been using to get me through the other steps..

Any suggestions?

Kymberly_S, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat?

search function

Hello,

A possible cause of this issue is a corrupted index. To help you resolve the issue, we suggest rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index. Rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index will get rid of corruptions. For the steps on how to perform this procedure, please follow the steps below.

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Indexing Options.
    • Select Indexing Options.
    • Click Advanced. Click Yes, if prompted or enter the administrative password.
    • Go to Index Settings tab.
    • Click Rebuild.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    The process may take a while to finish depending on your PC.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat?

1. Why does my windows search function not find hardly anything after a reformat? - Similar Threads - Why does search

2. Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...: Search in C:\Users\Komninos\Downloads not showing any results in Windows Explorer.Same issue for Pictures, Documents, Downloads.I recently moved them from D , but I doubt that was it.They have the files in the, it just won't quick search.The quick search is not working for...
  3. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  4. why does the search function not find tagged files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does the search function not find tagged files?: in explorer i use the tag function under file properties. however the search function in explorer fails to find the tagged files. this problem has only newly arisen - worked fine before a few days ago....
  5. Reformatting A Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reformatting A Hard Drive: I have an issue with a hard driveIt needs do be reformatted buy its on read only but but I cant set it to read only thehard drive was used so i tried to change the setting of security. It greyed out...
  6. Search function in windows 10 does not react after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search function in windows 10 does not react after update: Hello from GermanyAfter I installed Windows 10 pro on a Lenovo SL 510 laptop I did the first set of updates and thereafter the search window at the bottom left stopped its functions.I cannot type anything...
  7. Windows search feature not finding anything

Windows search feature not finding anything: Hello, I am using the windows search function quite a lot, especially for pdfs and other documents and it has always been working fine. A few weeks ago, my PC Win 10 Pro did an automated update. Since then, my windows search function does not work at all. It does not even...
  8. reformatting my hard drive

reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  9. Windows Search Not finding anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Not finding anything: In my taskbar my SearchUI.exe file is showing suspended. I am not able to solve it from any method I have tried alot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-not-finding-anything/26db598e-e2b2-40a3-98a7-84d9c1e38ec5
  10. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...