Windows 10: why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

Discus and support why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by fredfarmer, Aug 30, 2019.

1. why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

:)

fredfarmer, Aug 30, 2019
  2. LeonLaude Win User

Microphone & Speaking

Hi tlcadieux2,

There are a number of reasons why you are having challenges in using the Microphone while talking to Cortana.

Below are the different methods on how to get this resolved.

Method 1: Turn on the Microphone in Settings.

This is the most common reason why the Microphone is not working. You can turn on the Microphone by following these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Privacy.
    • Click Microphone.
    • Under Let apps use my microphone, slide the toggle button to turn it on.

Method 2: Set up Microphone from the Control Panel.

Modifying the Sound Settings may help in resolving your concern. Follow the steps below:

• Type Sound in Cortana Search.
    • Choose the first search result.
    • Click the Recording tab.
    • If you can’t find the Microphone from the list, right-click on the list then select Show Disabled Devices, otherwise proceed to step 5.
    • Right-click the Microphone.
    • Select Enable.
    • Click Properties.
    • Choose the Levels tab.
    • Set the Microphone volume to a higher value.
    • Choose the Enhancements tab.
    • Tick the box beside the Disable all sound effects option.
    • Hit OK.

Method 3: Update the Microphone driver.

Here’s an article that would walk you through the steps on how to update drivers
    in Windows 10. It also includes steps in case you would have to uninstall and reinstall the Microphone driver.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 30, 2019
  4. why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

Headset/Microphone background reduction; suggestions

There's a solution to this out there, but I cannot pinpoint the right search terminology to get accurate results.

When I speak into my microphone, whatever sound is being sent into my headphones, is also directly sent to the microphone and outputted upon transmit.

This means that it's not a case of the sound coming out of the headphones, then travelling to the microphone, it's actually going straight to the microphone instead.

All I've come up with so far, is a suggestion to mute the microphone input via Windows. Though that seems to render the microphone useless.

newconroer, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone

1. why does one have to have the microphone turned on when one is not using any microphone - Similar Threads - why does microphone

2. Any one have the solution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any one have the solution?: My windows 10 i5 dell laptop have some problems with the keyboard. I even used am external keyboard thinking the problem is with the laptop keyboard, but even the external keyboard have the exact problem when connected with my laptop. So the problem is with the keyboard...
  3. Any one have the solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any one have the solution?: My windows 10 i5 dell laptop have some problems with the keyboard. I even used am external keyboard thinking the problem is with the laptop keyboard, but even the external keyboard have the exact problem when connected with my laptop. So the problem is with the keyboard...
  4. Any one have the solution?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. why have you turned my microphone off

why have you turned my microphone off: why have you stopped me being able to use a microphone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-have-you-turned-my-microphone-off/fd290be4-a465-4581-8fcd-b5be570306d8
  6. How can I use my desktop audio and microphone and one whole microphone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I use my desktop audio and microphone and one whole microphone?: I'm looking for a way to have my microphone and my desktop audio to be on the same line. Like they are both counted as one input. I have a Shure SM7B connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen. Does anyone know? Win10 submitted by /u/EchonYT [link] [comments]...
  7. How does one set an audio device as a microphone?

How does one set an audio device as a microphone?: I have an input device plugged in to the audio jack on my computer. It should be recognized as an input. It is considered a speaker by my computer, and therefore I cannot input any audio. How might I set this device as an input/microphone?...
  8. Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?

in Cortana
    Any way to set the microphone to the internal one while using wired headphones?: (Topic is set to Cortana because that was the closest to Microphone related questions) I'm using my headphones which don't have a microphone, but I can't use my internal microphone because windows thinks I have an external microphone connected....
  9. Camera light turning on when microphone is in use

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Camera light turning on when microphone is in use: Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer this thread! I like to know what is going on with my computer all the time. One of my hobbies is calling scammers and wasting all there time, saves scamming the at risk. I like how the standard of having a light illuminating...
  10. Directory Utility Does MS have one, an approved one?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory Utility Does MS have one, an approved one?: I still find it hard to believe that MS has not provided us a nice Directory Utility (a File Explorer upgrade) to look at all of the sizes of your files AND FOLDERS, in the File Explorer format, particularly a Tree format - as part of the File Explorer. I am still looking....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turning microphone pff whilst camera is running