Windows 10: Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?

Discus and support Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a near-6-year-old PC which is about to be replaced by a new one, but while I'm just in the process of installing software I need which I use on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DVDfever.co.uk2, May 17, 2021.

1. Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?

I have a near-6-year-old PC which is about to be replaced by a new one, but while I'm just in the process of installing software I need which I use on the current one, the current one is trying to force the 20H2 update on me. This is a PC which - when I tried to just Restart, in February - it was forced to try and update from 1903 which it's currently on to 1909. For reasons best known to itself, it tried to install it, then did a BSOD three times, rebooted again, said 'uninstalling updates' I've had that a few times over the years, then did a BSOD again, then rebooted, then finally u

:)

DVDfever.co.uk2, May 17, 2021
  2. Arrakis9 Win User

Random restarts

when you start the computer up press F8 repeatedly until you get a list of how to start windows, choose do not automatically restart on system failure. if your getting bsod's list what your getting here so we can further help you. IF the system is not getting bsod's and still restarting as you say then i would look into getting a line conditioner for your computer as you might be having power issues.

Arrakis9, May 17, 2021
  3. Agility Win User
    Computer mysteriously restarts....

You mean before the restart started, you updated your motherboard drivers and video card drivers?

Agility, May 17, 2021
  4. Terrypin Win User

Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart? [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart? [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, May 17, 2021
Thema:

Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart?

1. Why does Restart mean the same as Update & Restart? - Similar Threads - Why does Restart

2. why does my windows not restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does my windows not restart: whenever i restart my system it just gos black screen but pc is running and a light pops up on the the corner of the motherboard. i find that if that light goes off only then it sucessfully restarts otherwise it doesnt restart. so sometimes it restarts sometimes that light...
  3. why does my windows not restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my windows not restart: whenever i restart my system it just gos black screen but pc is running and a light pops up on the the corner of the motherboard. i find that if that light goes off only then it sucessfully restarts otherwise it doesnt restart. so sometimes it restarts sometimes that light...
  4. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?: My 9 years Satellite L55-A5226 I restared it yesterday after it appears: almost time to restart.... But after a few hours it appear it again then I restarted it. Now today for the third time, it appears again. What happens?????...
  5. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?: My 9 years Satellite L55-A5226 I restared it yesterday after it appears: almost time to restart.... But after a few hours it appear it again then I restarted it. Now today for the third time, it appears again. What happens?????...
  6. Why does "almost time to restart" still appear after I restarted it and updated?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows Updater does not restart

Windows Updater does not restart: During these weeks, when I first sit down in the morning, I get a blue window telling me to restart for Windows Updater to complete the update. Why is it updated so frequently? Sometimes three times a day....
  8. Why does Windows restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows restart?: I was working on something yesterday evening and it got late. So, I paused the VM I was working in and put the computer to sleep. The next morning, the computer is running and it did restart fully at some point during the night. My question is: what the ****? I'd say that's...
  9. Why does the Windows Automatically restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does the Windows Automatically restart?: Just bought a new All-inOne Desktop (HP425Z) and when I am working online, for no apparent reason the computer restarts. Went to Google to lookup resolution and then to Control Panel and unchecked the automatic restart button. Thought that solved the problem. But once...
  10. ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?

ISO Install - What does "restart the upgrade" mean?: Thanks to some help I got here recently I am into the ISO install/upgrade procedure (from Win7). But now (during "collecting information") there is a large popup saying ... Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. I'm ok...