Windows 10: Why does "search for updates" never return?

Discus and support Why does "search for updates" never return? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 1709 on one of my laptops. I know it's overdue for an update so I tried to deal with that today; I went into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RhinoCan, May 21, 2019.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Why does "search for updates" never return?

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 1709 on one of my laptops. I know it's overdue for an update so I tried to deal with that today; I went into Settings/Update and Recovery and then searched for updates. Unfortunately, it never comes back; after 15 minutes and more, it is still searching. I've got a 35mpbs fibre optic connection so it should have returned long ago, in my opinion.

How do I get a list of updates so that I can actually begin the update process?

:)

RhinoCan, May 21, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 21, 2019
  3. fussybob Win User
    IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?

Since the last Win 10 update my Google Toolbar won't list any search suggestions as I type and there is no search history listed. The Google tool bar will allow a search, but after a few searches no search history shows and no "clear search" button is listed either.

I have turnd on "Suggest searches as you type", and "store search histroy on my computer" in the Google Toolbar options.

Any suggestions to fix this?

fussybob, May 21, 2019
  4. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, May 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Why does "search for updates" never return? - Similar Threads - Why does search

2. Win11 - Why does File Explorer *.psd search return files with psd1 extension? And why so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 - Why does File Explorer *.psd search return files with psd1 extension? And why so slow?: If I enter *.psd in the Search, I get results with .psd1 extension as well as .psd. Why? * is the file prefix only wildcard NOT extension?In addition, when not searching, if I just open up a folder I get a green progress bar and very slow results displayed even with only a...
  3. Win11 - Why does File Explorer *.psd search return files with psd1 extension? And why so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 - Why does File Explorer *.psd search return files with psd1 extension? And why so slow?: If I enter *.psd in the Search, I get results with .psd1 extension as well as .psd. Why? * is the file prefix only wildcard NOT extension?In addition, when not searching, if I just open up a folder I get a green progress bar and very slow results displayed even with only a...
  4. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search menu never search anything: My search menu never works. You will be able to type and search for anything but it will never find a result. It will load forever and nothing happens. You can close it and type again but issue goes on. Why this functionality is faulty anyway? Before I have some major issue...
  5. Why I left Windows 10 and will probably never return

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why I left Windows 10 and will probably never return: This is really just a rant against the current state of Windows 10 and why I recommend you ditch it in favor of another operating system. Please hear me out, because you might be pleasantly surprised by the results I got.So it all started when I got a new laptop. Right out of...
  6. never get return call

never get return call: i have been trying for 3 days to get win 10 finally installed, and need MSN support, but promised phone calls never arrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/never-get-return-call/ed2809fd-06be-4587-a679-61c9e0760926
  7. Why Does My windows Update Keep Returning Me To The Previous Version

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why Does My windows Update Keep Returning Me To The Previous Version: Windows keeps prompting me with a mandatory update that must be scheduled. However, when I let it update, not only does it take nearly 30 minutes to complete, but it reverts me back to the previous version of windows at the end... Then, once I use my computer again, it...
  8. Why does "search for updates" never return?

Why does "search for updates" never return?: I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 1709 on one of my laptops. I know it's overdue for an update so I tried to deal with that today; I went into Settings/Update and Recovery and then searched for updates. Unfortunately, it never comes back; after 15 minutes and more, it...
  9. Why does Powershell return an error for Get-MpComputerStatus ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Powershell return an error for Get-MpComputerStatus ?: Instead it returns "Get-MpComputerStatus : The extrinsic Method could not be executed. at line:1 char:1 + Get-MpComputerStatus + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + Categorylnfo : MetadataError: (MSFT_HpComputerStatus:ROOT\Microsoft\...pComputerStatus) [Get-MpComputer Status],...
  10. Windows key search never returns applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows key search never returns applications: Hey all, I cannot figure this one out. In the past I have used the windows key and then would type the name of the application and it would find it and I could run it that way. However, with Win10 that appears to have vanished. I only get options to search the web. Anyone...