Windows 10: Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?

Discus and support Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I'm not done using my laptop for the day, I put it in sleep mode so it starts up faster when I turn it back on. When I do this when the laptop is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delly10, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Delly10 Win User

Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?

When I'm not done using my laptop for the day, I put it in sleep mode so it starts up faster when I turn it back on. When I do this when the laptop is plugged into an electrical outlet, this seems to work alright, but if it's not plugged in and just running on battery, it only stays in sleep mode for maybe a half hour or so, and then seems to go to hibernate. I say this because when I turn the computer back on any later than that after being in sleep on battery power, the black "DELL" screen pops up first for awhile, just as if I had hibernated the computer. Normally after being put to sleep, the lock screen comes up right away.

Is there a setting to change so that it stays in sleep mode?

:)

Delly10, Jun 22, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile? 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Yo_Wattup Win User
    sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?

Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?

1. Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile? - Similar Threads - Why does sleep

2. Why does my desktop not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my desktop not go to sleep?: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.”However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Why? What can I do to accomplish this simple task?...
  3. Why does my desktop not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my desktop not go to sleep?: Under “Power and sleep,” my desktop is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes. Under “additional power settings” it is set for “high performance.”However, the desktop does not go to sleep after 15 minutes. Why? What can I do to accomplish this simple task?...
  4. Why does my desktop not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my computer go to sleep when I click on "Hibernate"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does my computer go to sleep when I click on "Hibernate": Instead of going directly to hibernation or Locking > Hibernate, my Windows 10 computer goes Locking > shut down. Another person asked a similar question and the MVP person replied that before a computer goes into hibernation it goes into locking. But my computer doesn't...
  6. Why does my computer go to sleep when I click on "Hibernate"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my computer go to sleep when I click on "Hibernate": Instead of going directly to hibernation or Locking > Hibernate, my Windows 10 computer goes Locking > shut down. Another person asked a similar question and the MVP person replied that before a computer goes into hibernation it goes into locking. But my computer doesn't...
  7. Why does my computer go to sleep when I click on "Hibernate"

8. Why my computer does not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my computer does not go to sleep?: When i press sleep button on keyboard,my computer goes to sleep but it goes out in sleep and turn on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-does-not-go-to-sleep/1116b08a-5c37-4ca4-88cd-ea0fe3ad2cfe
  9. Why my computer does not go to sleep?

Why my computer does not go to sleep?: When i press sleep button on keyboard,my computer goes to sleep but it goes out in sleep and turn on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-does-not-go-to-sleep/1116b08a-5c37-4ca4-88cd-ea0fe3ad2cfe
  10. DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after trying to go Sleep or Hibernate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after trying to go Sleep or Hibernate: I have DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after trying to go Sleep or Hibernate. It may caused by PlexTurbo ver.3.0.0.8, it uses 1Gb of 4 Gb RAM to optimize SSD write operations, but don't know exactly. Sometimes Sleep succeeds, I think when available RAM is > 2 Gb. Virtual Memory...