Windows 10: Why does storage shows incorrect file size?

Discus and support Why does storage shows incorrect file size? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH][ATTACH] So I installed adobe flash from some shady website, but after I install it, I immediately uninstall it cause it wasn't working at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NotAniki, Sep 29, 2020.

1. NotAniki Win User

Why does storage shows incorrect file size?

Why does storage shows incorrect file size? b5cc464c-753a-49e2-8cfc-d8d7ee8186d9?upload=true.png Why does storage shows incorrect file size? 41e08b17-75b7-4053-ae13-eaee0a4fa7d0?upload=true.png

So I installed adobe flash from some shady website, but after I install it, I immediately uninstall it cause it wasn't working at all. But after I uninstall it, there is this huge file added that I don't know of and it took 18GB of my storage, it was 148GB before this and it changed to 130GB

Why does storage shows incorrect file size? 2c12ad06-8cb6-4cf1-ad21-d85715b870a4?upload=true.png

Does anybody know why this happened and how I could fix it?

:)

NotAniki, Sep 29, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

JPG files from phone show incorrect file size (18GB) although size on disk shows (4KB).

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you see incorrect file size for JPG files on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• How were the files imported on the computer?
    • Does the file show as compressed (blue file name)?
    • Are you able to re-import the files?
    • Are the folders connected to OneDrive?

Meanwhile, you may want to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Right click on the JPG files and select Properties.
    2. Under General tab, click on
      Advanced
    3. Check if the option for compress is checked or unchecked.
    4. Toggle the option and click on OK and check if there is any difference.

We await your response.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 29, 2020
  3. j_007_k Win User
    Storage Spaces not showing increased size..

Hello, Size was increased via storage spaces. I was able to fix the issue. It seems like size increase via storange spaces is not working. I manually have to reboot and then use following command to show the correct size.

C:\ > DISKPART

DISKPART> List Volume

DISKPART> select volume # (this is the number of the volume listed by the above ‘List Volume’ command)

DISKPART> extend filesystem

DISKPART> exit

This fixes the storage pool to show the correct size. But its really annoying to do that every time you increase the size of the pool.

Thanks

j_007_k, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does storage shows incorrect file size? - Similar Threads - Why does storage

2. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  3. Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why storage settings> Installed Apps not showing same storage sizes for the apps as...: I am having a problem with Windows 11 Pro storage settings as I have installed my software " Ableton" which is showing 8.03 gb on Settings> Storage > Installed Apps but the problem is as the software is installed on " ProgramData " Folder Windows C > ProgramData > Ableton...
  4. Windows showing incorrect storage usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows showing incorrect storage usage: My valorant app in control panel programs shows it uses 2.74terabytes of storage usage but my pc only has 500+ gb storage I dont know how to fix this...
  5. Showing Incorrect Storage Usage

Showing Incorrect Storage Usage: When I go to storage settings, it says that Valorant takes up 328GB of storage, which it obviously doesn't, it takes up around 10GB of storage. Also, I tried to uninstall Valorant to see if the '328GB' is gone, but when it said 'Valorant has been uninstalled" my PC crashes...
  6. JPG files from phone show incorrect file size 18GB although size on disk shows 4KB.

JPG files from phone show incorrect file size 18GB although size on disk shows 4KB.: In December I transferred photos on two occasions from my android phone to my Surface laptop and the files will not open. It says an unknown error has occurred. The JPG files from the phone show incorrect file size 18GB although size on disk shows a reasonable size 4KB. I can...
  7. Why does storage space show incorrect used space?

Why does storage space show incorrect used space?: Storage Space is telling me I'm using 7.26 TB of 7.26 TB on Storage space E: but everything else is telling me I'm only using 1.66 to 1.7 TB. Below is a collage of various utilities reporting storage usage as well as the result of a CHKDSK command. Based on other guidance...
  8. File Explorer incorrect size.

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer incorrect size.: [ATTACH]I recently got a new laptop and when i started it the search bar in file explorer/control panel was the wrong size does anyone know where this setting is? a screenshot is linked bellow....
  9. File sizes not showing in settings storage.

File sizes not showing in settings storage.: I am going through my storage to see whats taking up all the room so I can delete some stuff and I keep coming across games that don't have a size next to them. Most of these are from games on Steam and they used to show how much space they took up. Is this a serious issue or...
  10. Windows 10 Storage glitch shows incorrect storage size numbers on fresh install.

Windows 10 Storage glitch shows incorrect storage size numbers on fresh install.: I have been reading many post about this and I also chatted with Microsoft techs. They had to manually go in and clear folders to clear space. Many times I was reading that it was due to corrupt files but I just did a fresh install and there are no corrupt files. Microsoft...