Windows 10: Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points

Discus and support Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi. Just curious. I have an HP Desktop running version 20H2 with a 256GB SSD for system (C:) and a 2TB Hard Drive (D:) for extra storage (which so far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mcd73165, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points

Hi. Just curious. I have an HP Desktop running version 20H2 with a 256GB SSD for system (CWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :) and a 2TB Hard Drive (DWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :) for extra storage (which so far I don't use). On System Restore I have the D: drive turned off. and the C: drive turned on. I have the Max Usage for the C: drive set to 3% which is 7.13 GB. If I create a Restore Point it starts out at about 11MB or something like that and then each time I check it grows larger. Right now it's at 3.28GB Current Usage with just the 1 Restore Point created. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies. By the way I always maintain Macrium Reflect backups so System Restore isn't really that important to me.

:)

Mcd73165, Jan 22, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jan 22, 2021
  3. Compumind Win User
    Restore points being deleted

Hi.

If you have a complete backup image, I would clear all your restore points first.

The deletion of restore points are generally caused by any one of the following by-design conditions:

1) You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.
    2) You manually turn System Restore off. (not in your case.)
    3) A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

To resolve this, adjust the maximum storage allocation. Follow the steps listed below:

1) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard to search Settings, type “System” in the Search box and then click System from the list of results.
    2) Click System protection in the task pane.
    3) Under Protection Settings click to select Local Disk (CWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :) (System) and then click Configure.
    4) Under Disk Space Usage, move the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System Restore points.

Note: If the protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Does this help you?

*Think

Compumind, Jan 22, 2021
  4. Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points

Windows 10 Restore point issues (Restore point missing)

Hi Amos,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

The deletion of restore points may be caused by any one of the following by-design conditions:

- You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.

- You manually turn System Restore off.

- A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

To resolve this issue, adjust the maximum shadow storage allocation. To do this, follow the steps listed below:

1. Press
    Windows key + W
    on the keyboard to search Settings, type “System” in the Search box and then click
    System from the list of results.

2. Click
    System protection
    in the task pane.

3. Under
    Protection Settings
    click to select Local Disk (CWhy does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points :) (System) and then click
    Configure.

4. Under
    Disk Space Usage
    , move the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System Restore points.

Note: If protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Also refer to the link given below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points

1. Why does System Restore Current Usage grow w/o additional Rest. Points - Similar Threads - Why does System

2. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  3. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...: I reinstalled Windows 10 and made System Restore Points and even i made some hard disk space for Automatic System Restore Points.After few days i found that System Restore Points are all deleted and even the hard disk space which i made for Automatic System Restore Points...
  4. Why System Restore Points Are Deleted And Even The Disk Space For System Restore Points...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System Restore Point Keeps Growing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Point Keeps Growing: Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a...
  7. Restore point grows

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore point grows: I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636
  8. Restore point grows

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore point grows: I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636
  9. Need to find current system restore points

Need to find current system restore points: Hello, How do I find my current Windows 10 Home, version 1803, system restore points? When I searched with this question, and several versions of this question, the results only say how to create system restore points. I'd like to know how to FIND existing restore points....
  10. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...