Windows 10: Why does System Restore never work for me?

Discus and support Why does System Restore never work for me? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have no restore points. I'm just wondering why. Note: There's no panic. System restore has never worked for me since (and during XP). The only times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by OldGrantonian, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Why does System Restore never work for me?

I have no restore points. I'm just wondering why.

Note: There's no panic. System restore has never worked for me since (and during XP). The only times it has ever worked was for minor recovery that I could have done myself manually - in less time. For major recoveries, I use system images. Computers have been Amstrad, a series of Dells, and now Asus.

I'm fairly certain that since (and during) Win XP, restore points were created just before the old, self-selected Windows Updates.

Anyway, here is my System Restore configuration:

Protected drives:
    - OS (CWhy does System Restore never work for me? :) (System)
    - ProgramsOverflow (DWhy does System Restore never work for me? :)

Here are the settings after pressing "Configure" button:

- Turn on system protection

- Current Usage: 54.44 MB

- Max Usage 10% (9.77 GB)

With these settings, for my own amusement, I made a restore point just now. I made NO changes, then restored that same restore point (there was only one in the list). I got the message:

Why does System Restore never work for me? [​IMG]

Thanks

:)

OldGrantonian, Feb 17, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Pinchy Win User
    windows xp duel boot with vista restore points

Turn off system restore in XP altogether...or if you dont want to, AsRocks suggestion should work :\

Pinchy, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Why does System Restore never work for me?

System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Why does System Restore never work for me?

1. Why does System Restore never work for me? - Similar Threads - Why does System

2. Why system restore not working in boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why system restore not working in boot?: Whenever I start my PC, there is a notification of please wait and it quickly switches to troubleshoot. I am not able to reset my pc in boot mode. Neither startup repair is working nor Restore recovery and System restore is missing from troubleshoot or not working. Only...
  3. Why system restore not working in boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why system restore not working in boot?: Whenever I start my PC, there is a notification of please wait and it quickly switches to troubleshoot. I am not able to reset my pc in boot mode. Neither startup repair is working nor Restore recovery and System restore is missing from troubleshoot or not working. Only...
  4. Why does Keep Me Signed In never work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Keep Me Signed In never work?: Every time I open a new tab I have to sign in again. Does this feature work at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-keep-me-signed-in-never-work/049d0fbf-f006-4982-afc4-2808b4a35f82
  5. Why does Keep Me Signed In never work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Keep Me Signed In never work?: Every time I open a new tab I have to sign in again. Does this feature work at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-keep-me-signed-in-never-work/049d0fbf-f006-4982-afc4-2808b4a35f82
  6. System Restore does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not work: [ATTACH] So, I keep getting this particular error message every time I try to do a system restore, how do I fix it? I tried using different restore points , but no solution obtained. Can someone help me out? Thanks!...
  7. Why does System Restore always fail for me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does System Restore always fail for me?: System Restore, just doesn't work, no matter how many times I've reinstalled Windows, it throws up an error saying that it failed to extract the contents of my iCloud Drive folder in the Users directory, I can't post a screenshot of the error because I've just reinstalled...
  8. Why does System Restore never work for me?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why does System Restore never work for me?: I have no restore points. I'm just wondering why. Note: There's no panic. System restore has never worked for me since (and during XP). The only times it has ever worked was for minor recovery that I could have done myself manually - in less time. For major recoveries, I use...
  9. Why does restore not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does restore not work: I have recently had cause to use the Restore function to overcome problems. But is goes through the motions but ends with a failure message saying restore did not work....
  10. Never any System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Never any System Restore Points: Whenever I check there are NEVER any system restore points. I seem to have had this for years and years over many variants of windows. From what I read Windows should regularly save some. Of course when I desperately need one when I have a problem there is rarely one there....