Windows 10: Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a...

Discus and support Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, sometimes I notice that the folder layout in Windows Explorer doesn't look the way I set it up. For example, these are screenshots of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MeUser3, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MeUser3 Win User

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a...

Hello,

sometimes I notice that the folder layout in Windows Explorer doesn't look the way I set it up.

For example, these are screenshots of the Download folder opening it in two different ways:

This PC > Downloads

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a... 3e276a13-6e76-46cf-8e72-824c89d2e450?upload=true.png

This PC > C: > Users > User.Account> Downloads

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a... 15140e68-17d8-40ae-8a21-04817d002696?upload=true.png

User.Account> Downloads opening Windows Explorer, opening the left most drop down menu in the URL bar, selecting my account folder from the drop down menu

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a... 1cbca5c7-e714-4fa3-8233-33f886114620?upload=true.png

As you can see above, there are at least three different layouts for the Downloads folder.

There are many buttons, shortcuts and ways to open Windows Explorer or a specific folder in Windows Explorer. So I am wondering, which way do I have to open a folder f.e. Downloads to see layout 1, which way to see layout 2 and which way to see layout 3? How many different layouts are there and is there a general rule on how they are seperated by the way you open the folder?

This behaviour can be quite disturbing because it makes things harder to find, especially in open file dialogues. Is there a reasonable purpose for the different layouts? Why does the layout look different when it is exactly the same folder?

I hope someone can explain this extraordinary behaviour to me. This is just a small detail I've noticed but I'm curious about it. In practice it can be annoying at times at least if you are an aware user and you notice that the folder looks different and that this makes you waste more time on looking for a specific file.

Best regards!

:)

MeUser3, Aug 1, 2020
  2. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a...

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does the folder layout in Windows Explorer look different depending on which way a... - Similar Threads - Why does folder

2. Why does my Explorer look and act different in the same version of windows on two different...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my Explorer look and act different in the same version of windows on two different...: I have two computers running the same version of windows 11. On computer A the explorer looks like this. On computer B the explorer looks like thisThe difference is suttle but on computer A the path is below the tool bar and there is no Preview button and on Computer B the...
  3. Why does my Explorer look and act different in the same version of windows on two different...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Explorer look and act different in the same version of windows on two different...: I have two computers running the same version of windows 11. On computer A the explorer looks like this. On computer B the explorer looks like thisThe difference is suttle but on computer A the path is below the tool bar and there is no Preview button and on Computer B the...
  4. why does my file explorer toolbar look different now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does my file explorer toolbar look different now?: so, today i've installed an app called "Classic Shell" and now my file explorer toolbar looks completely different, is white, and has less options, i don't know if the app that i installed caused that but when i installed that app it just changed the file explorer toolbar to...
  5. why does my file explorer toolbar look different now?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my file explorer toolbar look different now?: so, today i've installed an app called "Classic Shell" and now my file explorer toolbar looks completely different, is white, and has less options, i don't know if the app that i installed caused that but when i installed that app it just changed the file explorer toolbar to...
  6. why does my file explorer toolbar look different now?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Why does Windows 10 look different on different monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Windows 10 look different on different monitors?: I have a new laptop, and Windows 10 looks somehow more modern on it - not sure if that's a great way to describe it. The typeface seems different or something, I'm not sure, I don't know design principles, but it looks great. I plugged it in to a monitor (full disclosure: a...
  8. Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Different columns in FileExplorer depending on folder name?: I setup the following columns as default for all (new) folders: Name, Size, Date modified Now I created a new folder with the name "work". Yes, all columns are set accordingly. Now I rename the folder to "_work" and the shown folders are automatically changed to Name,...
  9. Why does File Explorer look different depending on where I open it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does File Explorer look different depending on where I open it?: For example, when I click Unpack Extension my Downloads Folder is blank despite having hundreds of files. And when I rightclick Chrome and click See in Folder the folder looks different with an icon for all of the browsers, though I can’t find the browsers when I open File...
  10. Why does file explorer show different files depending on how/where I open it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does file explorer show different files depending on how/where I open it?: I'm trying to open a file with Word but I can't find it.... however if I click see file location on the Word app I see it in the same place I'm looking for it Also once I save as'd a picture and I could only see it in the file explorer there, I never could find it in any...