Windows 10: Why does the Library Move Location feature not create a junction or anything that redirects?

Discus and support Why does the Library Move Location feature not create a junction or anything that redirects? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; You cannot rely on the integrity of your file system when using the Move Location feature in Windows for any of your Libraries, as any program that has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Gr3atsaga, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Gr3atsaga Win User

Why does the Library Move Location feature not create a junction or anything that redirects?

You cannot rely on the integrity of your file system when using the Move Location feature in Windows for any of your Libraries, as any program that has hard coded a location will not be redirected to the new location.

For example, moving the Documents Library to D:\Documents. Typing C:\Users\{User}\Documents in the Windows Explorer *will* redirect to D:\Documents. So obviously some functionality is there that knows the true location. My guess is Windows Explorer recognizes I am looking for the Documents Library and uses the correct procedures to get the location which is variable. However, if I create a simple C# program that wants to write a file to Documents, but hardcode the location to C:\Users\{User}\Documents, this directory is not found and has to be created.

What I would expect is that when a query to C:\Users\{User}\Documents is made, the caller receives the true location which is actually D:\Documents.

Essentially I expected the Move Location functionality to work similar to symbolic links. Otherwise, this feature seems to be almost useless unless the programs you are using are all properly getting the location of your libraries dynamically rather than hardcoding them. I know that's what a well written program would be doing, but there are tons of programs out there that don't. And tons of other programs where I have to manually change default locations because they will create the directories in the default locations that are not found because they have been moved.

What this causes is a desync in the data I expect to be in D:\Documents, when in reality there might be data in both directories. I have to periodically check C:\Users\{User} to see if any programs have placed data there, and sometimes I will find directories recreated.

Why does the Move Location feature not work more like a symbolic link? Can't rely on it when programs are hardcoding locations.

:)

Gr3atsaga, Mar 28, 2021
  2. Brink Win User
  3. GDavid Win User
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Mar 28, 2021
  4. harrymc Win User

Why does the Library Move Location feature not create a junction or anything that redirects?

7zip force ignore NTFS junctions

I would suggest to go in two steps :

1. Generate a list of all the junctions in the folder
    2. Create a 7Zip archive from the folder while excluding the files in the list.

For the first step, you may use the following command in a Command Prompt :

Where :

• /A displays all files with a specific attribute, and L specifies reparse points (symlinks and directory junctions)
    • /S makes the command recursive
    • /B specifies the bare format of only file names.

When zipping the folder use the
    -x (Exclude filenames) switch :

harrymc, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Why does the Library Move Location feature not create a junction or anything that redirects? - Similar Threads - Why does Library

2. Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.: .I cannot move a folder to another partition and the message is shown in the picture. How to solve it!!!!!!!Initially the folder 'Pictures' was in C drive, after i change the location to drive D it shows this Access denies message....
  3. Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant move a folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.: .I cannot move a folder to another partition and the message is shown in the picture. How to solve it!!!!!!!Initially the folder 'Pictures' was in C drive, after i change the location to drive D it shows this Access denies message....
  4. Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can’t be redirected: [ATTACH]If you are trying to change the location of the default folders such as Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and receive an error, then this post will help you resolve the problem. The error message shows as Can’t move the folder because there is a folder in the same...
  5. Why should I use `move` feature of `Settings-App` to move program location rather than just...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why should I use `move` feature of `Settings-App` to move program location rather than just...: I move program location time to time. However, It's not easy to move program location without using certain software tool. I want to achieve it by using Powershell, but it's not ahievable with only `mv` command. What can I do for it?...
  6. Default Library location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Library location: How do I restore the libraries to their default location. I have tried bringing up properties on the default library folder and changing location to the default but it says it can't continue because the destination location already gas a folder by that name. Why doesn't it...
  7. Redirecting location of libraries

in Windows 10 Support
    Redirecting location of libraries: I installed my SS, put OS on it. Now I need my HDD to contain the libraries: pictures, documents, videos etc... I need a tutorial on that. 90134
  8. Junction move app data to sd card

in Windows 10 Support
    Junction move app data to sd card: Got a nice new windows 10 tablet, got a 128gb micro sd card in it, and have been installing most stuff to it but there are some apps that give you no choice where there can be store and in my case I got two app that runs from my appdata, and look up if there was any way to...
  9. Creating a library question...

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a library question...: Folks, I'm enjoying customizing my Windows 10 install. However, I have a question... My 500GB SSD C drive is getting full. According to WinDirStat, the biggest folder is "Downloads", at over 100GB. Now, I like having "Downloads" easily accessible and where it is:...
  10. Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions: My system has a secondary drive (E:, with the main Public folders on it, and I use Libraries to access it. Under Libraries\Documents, there are 2 folders: My Documents points to C:\Users\bbon\Documents, and Documents points to E:\Users\Public\Document. In the process of...