Windows 10: Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available?

Discus and support Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available? in Cortana to solve the problem; For example, if I search for "VPN", the search results offer me "VPN Settings", but when I click on this, it just takes me to Windows Settings, and... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Leumasid, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Leumasid Win User

Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available?

For example, if I search for "VPN", the search results offer me "VPN Settings", but when I click on this, it just takes me to Windows Settings, and because the machine is provided by work, I don't have access to VPN settings. It's happened to me a lot already, and I'm only on Day 3 with W10. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to show search results I can't access? Extremely frustrating. Am I missing something?

:)

Leumasid, Oct 12, 2020
  2. diego Win User

Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available? [​IMG]

The native apps from the system are all showing this strange square instead of the normal icons. Please help resolve this problem. Thanks

diego, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Skofab Win User

I have lost the search facility

I thank you all for your time and interest - the two suggested alternatives have their merits, BUT, as Dalchina says - I really would like to restore the search facility that is commensurate with windows 10 - its simple and does the job.
    Thanks again. but keep the ideas coming
    Thanks
    C

Skofab, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Why does the search facility offer me options that aren't available? - Similar Threads - Why does search

2. Why my sign in options are not available for me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my sign in options are not available for me: Hello, It's been a while since I couldn't sign in to my computer with these options. Once I click on one of them, I can't do anything Below the screenshotCan anyone help me, please? I am having issues opening my laptop because of this. Thanks...
  3. Why my sign in options are not available for me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my sign in options are not available for me: Hello, It's been a while since I couldn't sign in to my computer with these options. Once I click on one of them, I can't do anything Below the screenshotCan anyone help me, please? I am having issues opening my laptop because of this. Thanks...
  4. Why my sign in options are not available for me

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Power Button Options aren't available.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Button Options aren't available.: Hi, So I suddenly stopped getting options like restart, shut down and sleep when I click on the power button. It says "There are currently no power options available". Can someone please help me out? I have already updated all the pending hardware/driver updates....
  6. Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 magnifier does not match up to Win7 search facility: For 10 years I have been running my W7 desktop. It's been the best system I have ever run. Rock solid (I cant remember when I last had a BSOD several years ago), and a totally reliable host for all my apps. However the system has been slowing and pausing increasingly...
  7. Why cant I use the search facility?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why cant I use the search facility?: Following a number of oddities and quirks, I decided to reset one of my laptops (including knocking out the files) The laptop is running 32 bit system. Version 1909 (OS build 18363.476) Reset went well with no apparent hitches. Added the programs I wished to use etc, and sent...
  8. Why cant I use the search facility?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why cant I use the search facility?: Following a number of oddities and quirks, I decided to reset one of my laptops (including knocking out the files) The laptop is running 32 bit system. Version 1909 (OS build 18363.476) Reset went well with no apparent hitches. Added the programs I wished to use etc, and sent...
  9. Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered?

in Browsers and Email
    Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered?: Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered for particular web site? In the screenshot below, I couldn’t figure out why the “continue to this website” option is not offered for “g1” web site while it is available for “L1” site. What could be the issue here?...
  10. Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered?: Why the “continue to this website” option is not offered for particular web site? In the screenshot below, I couldn’t figure out why the “continue to this website” option is not offered for “g1” web site while it is available for “L1” site. What could be the issue here?...