Windows 10: Why does the Sleep option not work for me?

Discus and support Why does the Sleep option not work for me? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Okay so here's what happens - my laptop is plugged in, I open start, I hit sleep, the screen goes black - my laptop keyboard and mouse are still lit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RogerV95, Jul 4, 2020.

1. RogerV95 Win User

Why does the Sleep option not work for me?

Okay so here's what happens - my laptop is plugged in, I open start, I hit sleep, the screen goes black - my laptop keyboard and mouse are still lit up. The fan is still going full speed. Basically the only thing that happened is that my screen went black - if I move the mouse slightly it'll light back up and show the desktop it never even signed me out / locked the screen!. This is really frustrating because if I want to the computer to go to sleep I have to sign out first and then hit sleep. Every now and then I change the power settings I reset them all to default, and it fixes it but then after a while it goes back to being unresponsive even though the power settings seem to be unchanged. It seems that resetting them to default even though I don't modify the settings works only for a while. I'm thinking there might be an app or program that might be modifying my power settings but I have no idea which it is or what settings it would be modifying... also, I have another account on the device for my girlfriend, and her sleep option works just fine.

Anyone know what may be happening?

:)

RogerV95, Jul 4, 2020

2. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Why does Power Options -> Sleep -> Allow wake Timers -> Disabled not work?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

• How do you think that Spotify is causing this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps

• Go to device manager.
    • Click on network adapters.
    • Right on the network adapters.
    • Click on power management.
    • Uncheck the option Allow this device to wake this computer.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Why does the Sleep option not work for me?

Sleep option

Hi Remon,

I tried what you suggested, but I did not see a sleep option listed in the settings for the power options. There was a "hibernate" option, but I don't think that is the same as the sleep option which I had prior to the last update. Also, since the update,
    my graphics, images, and fonts are slightly distorted.

Thanks,

John

JohnBuckley_016, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Why does the Sleep option not work for me?

1. Why does the Sleep option not work for me? - Similar Threads - Why does Sleep

2. Sleep does not work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep does not work: Something is changed on this PC. My cousin borrows this and now my sleep is not working anymore. It turns on even when its sleep. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-does-not-work/bef28fc8-b452-4fa6-b160-e694cfe53c1e
  3. Sleep does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep does not work: Something is changed on this PC. My cousin borrows this and now my sleep is not working anymore. It turns on even when its sleep. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-does-not-work/bef28fc8-b452-4fa6-b160-e694cfe53c1e
  4. Sleep does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does my new computer sleep when sleep option is set to "never sleep"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does my new computer sleep when sleep option is set to "never sleep": I have a new laptop computer and I have set the sleep option to "Never" when plugged into power. However, it appears to ignore this setting and sleeps anyway. It is a problem because it prevents my printer from working with other computers that share printing.Note that I have...
  6. "Sleep" option not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Sleep" option not working: Hi all,When I try to put my laptop to sleep, the screen becomes blank for few seconds, and then if I move mouse, it becomes live again.Earlier, when I used to click on "Sleep" option, it will go into sleep mode, and require pressing of power key to become active again.It is a...
  7. sleep does not work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sleep does not work: Hey all, Recently, when requested to sleep, my computer locks, the monitors turn off, then seconds later the monitors turn back on to the login screen without my computer even reacting (fans still spinning, lights still on) I have tried using powercfg -lastwake and...
  8. Sleep does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sleep does not work: Sleep function in Windows 10 does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-does-not-work/316c65a8-c849-4793-99e8-8b6c1a765294
  9. Why does Realms chat not work for me?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Realms chat not work for me?: My wife just started a Realm on Minecraft Bedrock Edition, taking advantage of the thirty-day free trial. We invited some friends, but despite a lot of time logged in, everybody was very quiet on the chat. Turns out, nobody is able to message each other. Entering and leaving...
  10. Sleep options do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep options do not work: Hi everyone, I set 'turn off the display' to 'Never' and 'put the computer to sleep' to 'Never' for both 'on battery' and' plugged in'. The computer goes to sleep after 5 minutes. I will appreciate any help. Thank you, Domma 59097