Windows 10: Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update?

Discus and support Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After Windows has updated, some calculated values have changed in the last digit, e.g. from -0.0776529085243926 to -0.0776529085243925. The change is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jaroslav Ka, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update?

After Windows has updated, some calculated values have changed in the last digit, e.g. from -0.0776529085243926 to -0.0776529085243925. The change is always down by one and both even and odd numbers are affected. This seems to be related to KB4486153, as reverting this update changes the values back to the previous ones. (It may also be related to KB4512192 which was installed at the same time.)

This change can be seen already when debugging in Visual Studio and the value is later written to an output file and changes therein as well (without running the debugger).​

I know about loss of precision in floating-point calculations, but why does this change happen after an update and how can we guarantee that future updates don't change the representation of values?

Minimal reproducible example

The printout below changes from -0.0776529085243926 to -0.0776529085243925 after the update.

var output = -0.07765290852439255;
    Trace.WriteLine(output); // This printout changes with the update.

This question was also posted to StackOverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57593059/rounding-of-last-digit-changes-after-windows-net-update

:)

Jaroslav Ka, Aug 21, 2019
  2. ste2425 Win User

ordering strings alphanumerically

Hi all

I have a question for you all.

Im trying to order a set of input data. Its a list of strings some containing just number, some just letters and some a mixture. Im coding in c# using i believe asp.net. Its a .net technology. Sorry for the vagueness there but i have only been using it for half a week and my dam windows has died and im writing this from a Ubuntu live cd (gotta love linux).

Any who ive currently managed to split the input list into three seperate list using some regex and converted the numbers into int using int.Parse(). Then ordered the numbers using .order() so that side of things is grand. I now have a list of strings containing just numbers which i order again using .order() and it orders them alphabetically, then using .addrange() i can combine the two together listing all the numbers then all the letters alphabetically at the end. However ive come a bit unstuck with the strings that contain letters and numbers.

for example i have

2test
    3test
    11test
    4ab
    1ab
    32ab

which i then need listed as

1ab
    4ab
    32ab
    2test
    3test
    11test

the issue is the number could be on the end or at the front. I want them to be ordered primarely alphabetically then if theres many words starting with T for example they are block together and run numercially.

So when its all finished i end up with a list like this

a
    abc
    bhg
    2bh
    bh4
    bh5
    h
    j
    3j
    j5

Hope all this makes sense im in the process of fixing windows 8 AGAIN so should be able to provide more info if needed. Hope you all can shed some light onto this. Im stuck on ordering the string containing both letters and numbers

ste2425, Aug 21, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Intel to Start Shipping B3 Stepping Cougar Point Chipset from February 14

Intel seems to have fast-tracked its Cougar Point chipset flaw rectification. The silicon giant claims that it will be in a position to start shipping B3 stepping of Cougar Point chipsets (Intel P67, H67, etc,) from 14 February, to OEM partners. According to the latest PCN (product change notification), number 110456-00 dated 2/9/2011, Cougar Point B3 will carry the following changes/features:
    • Revision ID will change from 04h to 05h
    • BIOS Update (Revision 1.1.4 of the BIOS Specification Update and Reference Code)
    • B3 stepping package is pin compatible with B2 stepping package
    • Minor metal layer change from B2 to B3 improving lifetime wear out with no changes to functionality or design specifications
    Of the above, the last bullet point affirms that the SATA 3 Gb/s port defect issue, which caused physical parts of the chipset to wear out abnormally fast, degrading performance, is resolved.

Source: Intel

btarunr, Aug 21, 2019
  4. malware Win User

Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update?

Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update?

1. Why does the string representation of floating-point numbers change after .NET update? - Similar Threads - Why does string

2. Files with random strings of letters and numbers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with random strings of letters and numbers.: I don't know what Data Base Files do, but I just want confirmation on whether or not these files are safe. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-with-random-strings-of-letters-and-numbers/3f456c01-dfa6-4e67-bddf-6e3fd21df0ca
  3. Part number change after updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Part number change after updating: When upgrading Windows 10 64bit Pro FQC-08929 to 20H2, does the part number or license number change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/part-number-change-after-updating/485cb0e7-154b-4424-9293-09211f5fa89a
  4. Part number change after updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Part number change after updating: When upgrading Windows 10 64bit Pro FQC-08929 to 20H2, does the part number or license number change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/part-number-change-after-updating/485cb0e7-154b-4424-9293-09211f5fa89a
  5. Part number change after updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Repeating string of numbers/letters keeps popping up after an update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Repeating string of numbers/letters keeps popping up after an update: Hi, I have a Dell laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10, and since the computer updated, a string of letters and numbers like 2n. n2/b 2n/ b.2n keeps appearing in search bars, both in the Windows search bar and web pages. Any help to solve this would be greatly...
  7. Why does "NET USE" command fail ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does "NET USE" command fail ?: No matter how I code this command (Entered password, encoded password, or PASTED password), if fails with "The specified password is not correct". [img] Yet I can fire up file explorer and MAP the drive and it works. The second command listed is to show that a...
  8. floating start menu after resolution change

floating start menu after resolution change: After getting a higher-resolution monitor many windows menus etc. don't scale properly anymore. Start menu: [IMG] The search box is floating on the desktop, and the start menu is floating somewhere in mid-air. Furthermore, many other menus are not scaling at all:...
  9. invalid floating point operation in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    invalid floating point operation in windows 10: Hi, I ran a program in win10 (LORETA; https://www.uzh.ch/keyinst/NewLORETA/Software/Software.htm) and encountered an error: "invalid floating point operation". The program was written by PASCAL (using an academic version of “CodeGear Delphi 2007 for Win32”). May I ask is...
  10. 6002 floating point error

6002 floating point error: message on desktop win 10 floating point support not loaded (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library) How is this fixed? gdr1032 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/6002-floating-point-error/4e0f03a0-7cd2-4c7e-b82f-37054264d12d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4512192