Windows 10: Why does the Windows 10 Programmer mode have the decimal point grayed out?

Discus and support Why does the Windows 10 Programmer mode have the decimal point grayed out? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Again I see that the Programmer Mode is crippled by dropping the decimal point for Windows 10. Why? Can you release a fix in the next patch? And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TimConrad, Oct 8, 2018.

1. TimConrad Win User

Why does the Windows 10 Programmer mode have the decimal point grayed out?

Again I see that the Programmer Mode is crippled by dropping the decimal point for Windows 10. Why? Can you release a fix in the next patch?

And please, let's start off with: don't reply "you can only use integers in non-decimal number systems". That's a ridiculous starting answer and shows the person has no knowledge of basic math. In decimal systems, the subsequent digits refer to 1/10th, 1/100th. In binary it's 1/2, 1/4th, etc. Nothing special. Oh but irrational numbers would be rounded off! Again, same in any number system. If you're bothered with "decimal" point, call it a "universal point" or whatever. Why does the Windows 10 Programmer mode have the decimal point grayed out? :)

This question pops up every generation, so let's try to get an intelligent discussion going on why it's still disabled in Windows 10? The button is there. The program already has to do the underlying math in binary (which by extension is the same as hex and octal). Someone had to cripple the calculator by making sure the decimal point is grayed out and ignored (while functional in other modes).

What seems to be absent from the previous discussions is why does this matter? The answer is that people who design hardware (me) or write firmware need to deal with this on a daily basis. The real world doesn't operate only in integers and if you have to calculate what constants to code into hardware registers, you need to use a calculator.

My suggestion - just put the decimal point in. The "integer only" people don't suffer at all. The "real" people can get their work done. There are less non-functional keys on the screen taking up space and teasing the people who need it. I struggle to see a benefit to disabling a key that the app programmers don't use. I'm surprised they didn't drop cosine's and log's while they were at it. These "real" people are fellow programmers, just like them (though slightly more bound to the physical world of hardware registers).

Lastly, don't suggest multiplying all the numbers by some big number, doing the math, and then dividing back. Nobody would really do that. You'd just find another calculator.

:)

TimConrad, Oct 8, 2018
  2. phanfab Win User

Windows 10 Calculator Decimal Point Grayed Out

Sorry folks! I just realised that I had it defaulting to "Programmer" mode for some reason. This grays out the decimal point. Setting it back to "Standard" or "Scientific" mode brings back the decimal point

phanfab, Oct 8, 2018
  3. phanfab Win User
    Windows 10 Calculator Decimal Point Grayed Out

I just noticed my Window 10 calculator has the decimal point grayed out. I can't click it and also the keypad full stop and numeric keypad decimal point do nothing. I can't say for sure that this has ever worked since I upgraded to Windows 10 but I suspect
    it was working at some point. Has anyone else suffered this? Restarting and Regional settings don't seem to help. Is there a solution?

phanfab, Oct 8, 2018
  4. BC888 Win User

Decimal point in Windows 10 Calculator (standard mode) doesn't work!!!!

My computer just upgraded itself from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When using the calculator in Standard mode, hitting the "." key doesn't register on the calculator. In fact in Standard mode clicking the physical "." key or pushing the "." decimal point
    button on the button on the calculator itself doesn't work!!!!

It works in scientific mode, but not standard mode. Someone fix this bug!!!!

BC888, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does the Windows 10 Programmer mode have the decimal point grayed out? - Similar Threads - Why does Programmer

2. Security settings in grayed out. Why ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security settings in grayed out. Why ?: Hello. Could you help me explain why the memory integrity and firmware protection options are grayed out and the text message in red saying that these settings are handled by the system administrator. Is there any way to change this? Thank you very much in advance for your...
  3. Decimal point . not working on numberpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decimal point . not working on numberpad: Hello,I purchased a USB numberpad. At first, the decimal point would work, then it stopped, only functioning as a Del key, which is its function when not in NumLock. The numbers still print in NumLock. Only the decimal point . is no longer functional. If I turn NumLock off...
  4. Decimal point . not working on numberpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decimal point . not working on numberpad: Hello,I purchased a USB numberpad. At first, the decimal point would work, then it stopped, only functioning as a Del key, which is its function when not in NumLock. The numbers still print in NumLock. Only the decimal point . is no longer functional. If I turn NumLock off...
  5. Decimal point . not working on numberpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. airplane mode on and grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    airplane mode on and grayed out: airport mode on and grayed out. cannot access wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/airplane-mode-on-and-grayed-out/c6606e1d-8b05-4d3d-afd1-edccea90379d
  7. decimal point in windows calculator

in Windows 10 Customization
    decimal point in windows calculator: I have read the various help articles and I need it explained to me how to set up the windows ten microsoft calculator to write numbers like this: 12.34 instead of 1234. or 123.45 instead of 12345. which is default. Can someone please explain this to me in simple terms. I...
  8. Decimal point replaced by comma

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decimal point replaced by comma: In calculator, instead of a decimal point, I see a comma. [ATTACH] Also, in Microsoft Word, I see a comma - again in place of a decimal point. [ATTACH] Moved from: Microsoft education/ Office / Word...
  9. Airplane mode is grayed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Airplane mode is grayed out: Just bought a refurbished Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 and it is stuck in Airplane Mode. The problem is that it is grayed out so you can't turn it on or off. Consequently no wifi. Help! Thanks...
  10. Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?: Hey all, Windows Defender shows being on but it's grayed out. I can't change it, and the downloadable .reg file to turn it on or off does nothing. I run AVG antivirus, and I tried turning it off to see if it was getting in the way...didn't help. This is Windows 10...