Windows 10: Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens?

Discus and support Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Camera App closes as soon as it opens on my Sony Vaio laptop. Camera works fine on Skype and Zoom. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Geoff285, May 8, 2020.

1. Geoff285 Win User

Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens?

Camera App closes as soon as it opens on my Sony Vaio laptop. Camera works fine on Skype and Zoom. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the camera app, and it still does it.

:)

Geoff285, May 8, 2020

2. Camera app closes immediately on opening in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

I appreciate if you could simplify your issue along with the below details.

What are all apps stopped working?

Are you able to see the Cam listed in Device Manager? I.e. Under Imaging devices

What do you mean by "camera gets hijacked by the Store" from your description?

Did you tried the troubleshooting steps that are suggested in the link I have provided?

Navigate to Start /> Settings /> Privacy /> Camera, and see what the status of the Camera and let me know are all device listed under
    Choose apps that can use your camera.

Give us more information to assist you better in this regard.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Camera opens, shows nothing, then closes

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    It could be due to missing/corrupt drivers or missing updates.

I suggest you to try the steps provided in the link below and check.

Fix Windows Camera app problems with USB web cameras

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows-10/fix-windows-camera-app-problems-with-usb-web-cameras

For reference: Camera app and webcams help
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/camera-app-faq

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, May 8, 2020
  4. Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens?

Camera app closes immediately on opening in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

What is the make and model of your PC?

Does it gives any error message?

Is that Camera built-in or external?

From your description, I suspect that the problem might lies with the Camera app or might with the drivers. Suggest you check and install the latest camera drivers for your device from device Manufacturer website. Most probably this will fix the issue.

Check for Camera app update in Windows Store.
    Launch Windows Store, click on your Profile on top right of Windows Store, and select
    Download and Updates. Now click
    Check for updates, to see if any update available for Camera app.
    Once update is installed, open Camera app to see if problem still persist.

Try to run built in Windows Store Apps troubleshooter

* First Shutdown your PC completely, restart it after a moment.

* When you reach desktop screen, press Windows Key then type ‘troubleshoot’ and select the same from the list

* Select “View all” on the left panel and run “Windows Store Apps” troubleshooter from the list

* Click Advanced, ensure to check Apply repairs automatically
    and also select Run as administrator

* Click Next and finish the troubleshooting by following the on-screen instructions. Now check if the problem still persist.

Suggest you to check with the below articles, which provides troubleshooting steps when Camera app fails to start and to update drivers.

How to fix Windows
    10 issues with cameras when the Windows Camera app fails to launch

Fix Windows Camera app problems with USB web cameras

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens?

1. Why does the Windows Camera app close as soon as it opens? - Similar Threads - Why does Camera

2. why is ms store and its installed apps closing as soon as i open them?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    why is ms store and its installed apps closing as soon as i open them?: every Microsoft store installed app and Microsoft store itself closes as soon as i open themI've tried a few online tutorials on how to make ms store work but they dont work for me.there was an error code when i try to open a file with ms store apps:the error code is...
  3. why is ms store and its installed apps closing as soon as i open them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is ms store and its installed apps closing as soon as i open them?: every Microsoft store installed app and Microsoft store itself closes as soon as i open themI've tried a few online tutorials on how to make ms store work but they dont work for me.there was an error code when i try to open a file with ms store apps:the error code is...
  4. why is ms store and its installed apps closing as soon as i open them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Store closing as soon as i open it

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store closing as soon as i open it: This has happened twice to me now, the first time I had to wipe my whole pc after trying every "fix". Don't feel like doing this again after losing all my stuff, can somebody help? This is really stressing me out.BTW i have done wsreset, deleting directories, reseting...
  6. Camera App does not open on Child Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Camera App does not open on Child Account: In response to "Camera App does not open on Child Account" originally posted here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-app-does-not-open-on-child-account/4eb57152-5ef4-46d0-bdd8-3d0ee7c66b72 I had the same issue. Turns out, i had to change the age...
  7. Cortana closes as soon as she opens

in Cortana
    Cortana closes as soon as she opens: hen itap the mic she closes automatically https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-closes-as-soon-as-she-opens/e17f19b6-af63-43cc-a98b-7dd3f3313591
  8. Camera does not open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera does not open: How do I "attach the device to the computer"? I have an error code 45 on my camera/web cam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-does-not-open/fa0dd05a-e938-437c-b4f3-d53d662b2aef
  9. Why does Cortana open and then close again immediatly?

in Cortana
    Why does Cortana open and then close again immediatly?: Whan I click on the Cortana 'circular' botton next to the type here to searchbutton, Cortana opens making the usual sound but then closes again immediately; Making it impossible for me to use Cortana. How do I prevent this? Many thanks!...
  10. CMD window closing as soon as opened

in Windows 10 Support
    CMD window closing as soon as opened: This just started about two weeks ago. As soon as use the CMD command the window closes right away. Doing some research, I think possibly it occurred after my computer got infected with a miner. My antivirus killed it right away and dozens of full scans indicate I am virus...