Windows 10: Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't?

Discus and support Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I downloaded some pictures out of my email then wanted to move them from Downloads to Pictures. If I right click and go to "send to" and select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sQuints71188, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't?

I downloaded some pictures out of my email then wanted to move them from Downloads to Pictures. If I right click and go to "send to" and select pictures then it puts a copy in pictures and leaves one in downloads but if I drag and drop the file/s from downloads to pictures then it literally moves them to pictures and leaves nothing in downloads. Can anybody explain this to me?

Unless I'm just missing something then I can't think of any reason that'd ever be a bad thing besides just annoying but it doesn't make sense and I'm not positive so I wanted to figure it out just in case.

Edit: I am using Windows 10 Home.

submitted by /u/sQuints71188
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sQuints71188, Apr 13, 2021
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't? [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Click and Drag moves file instead of Copying...

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I understand that you want the file to be copied, when you click and drag a file.

The default option when you click and drag a file is “move”, unless the destination is external storage (like pen drive, external hard disk etc.,) in this case the file will be copied, please be informed that this option cannot be changed.

If you are dragging the files from one folder to another which is in same location it will move by default. To copy the files you need to press
    Ctrl key on the keyboard.

When you drag a file or folder, exactly what happens depends upon what you drag and where you drag it. Pop-up windows containing information appear when you drag a file over a destination—pay attention to these to find out what will happen when you
    release the mouse button.

Note: If you press and hold the right mouse button while dragging, a menu appears that lets you choose a specific action, such as copying or moving.

Reference: Moving and copying files by using the drag-and-drop method:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Apr 13, 2021
  4. temp02 Win User

Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't?

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't?

1. Why does using "send to" make a copy of the file but clicking and dragging doesn't? - Similar Threads - Why does using

2. Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?: When I want to move a file elsewhere such as from hard drive to flash drive, I click "Send to" and click the destination without any problem. It appears at the destination, but it is also still there at the source as if it merely copied instead and being dragged. Also if I...
  3. Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Drag and Drop copy rather than actually dragging and dropping?: When I want to move a file elsewhere such as from hard drive to flash drive, I click "Send to" and click the destination without any problem. It appears at the destination, but it is also still there at the source as if it merely copied instead and being dragged. Also if I...
  4. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  5. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  6. Not being able to drag and copy files

7. Right click for send to USB drive and Select & Drag file as attachment on email is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click for send to USB drive and Select & Drag file as attachment on email is not...: I have facing 02 problems till now1. Select the file or folder > Right Mouse Click > Send Option to USB Drive is not available. 2. Select file and drag to attachment in Email or browser to button taskbar is not available these 02 options save my time a lot...
  8. Right click for send to USB drive and Select & Drag file as attachment on email is not...

Right click for send to USB drive and Select & Drag file as attachment on email is not...: I have facing 02 problems till now1. Select the file or folder > Right Mouse Click > Send Option to USB Drive is not available. 2. Select file and drag to attachment in Email or browser to button taskbar is not available these 02 options save my time a lot...
  9. No click and drag?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No click and drag?: I have an Acer Swift 3 with a touchpad. I used to be able to do a simple click and drag to move windows around, highlight text, etc. I can no longer do this for some reason. Can anyone help? I am not sure if this is some kind of intentional update or if I inadvertently...
  10. Can't right click and drag or copy files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click and drag or copy files: I recently lost the ability to right click and copy files to a separate folder or the desktop. I have tried several of the fixes posted online but with no luck....