Windows 10: Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound

Discus and support Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; at that time i was setting the startup sound to windows 11's one cuz for cosmetic purposesbut then it defaults back to windows 7's start up sound,i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarioGaming1326, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound

at that time i was setting the startup sound to windows 11's one cuz for cosmetic purposesbut then it defaults back to windows 7's start up sound,i tried to do anything im confusedplease help me.

:)

MarioGaming1326, Jul 28, 2021
  2. JakeM858 Win User

No startup sound in Windows 10

I believe there is a registry hack that must be done in order for the windows start audio file will load when the system starts. I have personally hacked the registry to get the windows startup audio file to play. In saying that, once the registry has been
    modified to support Windows Startup sound, the audio is a Windows default audio file. As far as I know, there is no way to force Windows 10 Startup audio file to play anything other than the default Windows Startup file.

Here are the steps to take to get the Windows 10 logon sound.

To changing the logon sound in Windows 10

If changing the Logon sound is enough for your needs, this will do the trick. For this you need to make Windows reveal the "Windows Logon" sound entry in the Sounds dialog as it is hidden by default. I assume you already
    have the sound file itself downloaded or already on your system, if not you can use websites like keepvid.com or other ways to download the sound from the video.

Recommended steps below:

• Open Registry Editor (Win+R, then type regedit and confirm with Enter key).
    • Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WindowsLogon.
    • Double-click on the ExcludeFromCPL value and then
      change it from 1 to 0. (1 is the default) You can also delete the value directly.
    • Close the Registry Editor and
    • Open the Windows Sounds dialog (right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar on the right then
      select "Sounds").
    • Search for the Windows Logon sound in the list.
      Edit it as if you would change any other sound.
    • Click [OK]
    Explanation:

By default some of the sounds in Windows are hidden from the dialog.

The "ExcludeFromCPL" value is responsible for the hiding - 1 means Windows will hide the entry from the Sounds dialog, deleting or zeroing it will unhide the entry.

One could change the value for every other sound in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels as well if you want to.

Let us know if you decide to try this procedure.

This works only for the logon sound if you do the same to system exit and windows logoff it will work but there is no windows 10 startup sound

JakeM858, Jul 28, 2021
  3. wvlucas Win User
    No startup sound in Windows 10

I believe there is a registry hack that must be done in order for the windows start audio file will load when the system starts. I have personally hacked the registry to get the windows startup audio file to play. In saying that, once the registry has been
    modified to support Windows Startup sound, the audio is a Windows default audio file. As far as I know, there is no way to force Windows 10 Startup audio file to play anything other than the default Windows Startup file.

Here are the steps to take to get the Windows 10 logon sound.

To changing the logon sound in Windows 10

If changing the Logon sound is enough for your needs, this will do the trick. For this you need to make Windows reveal the "Windows Logon" sound entry in the Sounds dialog as it is hidden by default. I assume you already
    have the sound file itself downloaded or already on your system, if not you can use websites like keepvid.com or other ways to download the sound from the video.

Recommended steps below:

• Open Registry Editor (Win+R, then type regedit and confirm with Enter key).
    • Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\WindowsLogon.
    • Double-click on the ExcludeFromCPL value and then
      change it from 1 to 0. (1 is the default) You can also delete the value directly.
    • Close the Registry Editor and
    • Open the Windows Sounds dialog (right-click the speaker icon in the taskbar on the right then
      select "Sounds").
    • Search for the Windows Logon sound in the list.
      Edit it as if you would change any other sound.
    • Click [OK]
    Explanation:

By default some of the sounds in Windows are hidden from the dialog.

The "ExcludeFromCPL" value is responsible for the hiding - 1 means Windows will hide the entry from the Sounds dialog, deleting or zeroing it will unhide the entry.

One could change the value for every other sound in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels as well if you want to.

Let us know if you decide to try this procedure.

wvlucas, Jul 28, 2021
  4. Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound

Windows 10 startup and shutdown sounds

In that case please create a local account and perform the steps to change the Startup sound normally.

Control Panel > Sound > Sound tab > Select "Windows Logon Sound" from the list > Browser and select the media

ArifAhmed2, Jul 28, 2021
Thema:

Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound

1. Why does when i try to set a custom logon sound and it defaults to the windows 7 startup sound - Similar Threads - Why does try

2. Custom windows logon and logoff sounds not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom windows logon and logoff sounds not working...: I have done everything correctly like changing the regedit so windows logon and logoff shows in the change system sounds, and the custom sounds are a wav file which is the only file you can use to have custom sounds... But still just uses the default logon sound and no logoff...
  3. Custom windows logon and logoff sounds not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom windows logon and logoff sounds not working...: I have done everything correctly like changing the regedit so windows logon and logoff shows in the change system sounds, and the custom sounds are a wav file which is the only file you can use to have custom sounds... But still just uses the default logon sound and no logoff...
  4. Customize Startup Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Startup Sound: Hi, It would be cool if you were able to customize your startup sound. All the way back to v. 3.1. Can include any, but I will give a list of ones I think should be included. 3.1 95 4.0 5.0 98 2000/Me Whistler/XP Server 2003 Longhorn Vista/7 8/8.1 10 Cool if...
  5. How to make a custom startup sound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make a custom startup sound?: So after 4 hours, trying the "sounds" way, trying the "create a task" way I get nothing at all. And when I do the "sounds way" and enable windows startup sound I get the windows 8 sound no matter how much I change it submitted by /u/WesternRollsRoyce [link] [comments]...
  6. custom logon/logoff sounds does not play

custom logon/logoff sounds does not play: As the attached picture shows that I have designated custom sounds for such purpose but it will not play as intended. These sounds are in .WAV format which is acceptable by format. Windows build version is 1903 (OS Build 1836.175), I have not updated windows as it would...
  7. Why does Windows 10 Have the Windows 7 startup sound as default and how do i change it?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does Windows 10 Have the Windows 7 startup sound as default and how do i change it?: Hello! I was wondering why my windows 10 laptop plays the windows 7 startup sound rather than the actual windows 10 startup sound. And how can i change it?...
  8. Custom sound set not syncing

Custom sound set not syncing: Hi, I like to use my own sound effects for Windows and keep them in My Documents. So I right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner and select sounds. Then find and select my own wav files for each event I'd like to use. If works for a while, but then...
  9. Custom Startup Sound Plays on "RESTART" but not "STARTUP"

Custom Startup Sound Plays on "RESTART" but not "STARTUP": Most mysterious: I've tried everything I know, but the personal startup sound (.wav) I want (to complement my personalized LockScreen) shows as the selected WindowsLogon sound on the select screen, and plays when [>TEST] button pressed. The "Play Windows Startup sound" is...
  10. Why is it not possible to set Windows Logoff/Logon sounds?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is it not possible to set Windows Logoff/Logon sounds?: So in Windows 8, MS removed the ability to have a login/logoff sound. In Windows 10, the same problem persists. Interestingly enough, under the C:\Windows\Media folder, there is a file called "Windows Logon" which is a brand new sound from Windows 8, also in 10. The...