Windows 10: Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected?

Discus and support Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using an HP Probook 470 G2 and an Intel 3160 wireless adapter inside. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 1903 and domain-joined it (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Paolo Celati, May 4, 2019.

1. Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected?

I am using an HP Probook 470 G2 and an Intel 3160 wireless adapter inside. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 1903 and domain-joined it (I previously had 1803). Whenever I plug in an Ethernet cable or start my OpenVPN client, the WiFi adapter turns off. I know this is not a hardware/BIOS issue because I haven't had this problem in a live Ubuntu Desktop. I've also tried Intel's latest drivers (18.33.15.1) and Microsoft's stock driver (17.15.0.5) but I've had the same issue with both of those. If there is anything I should clarify, please do let me know and thanks in advance.

:)

Paolo Celati, May 4, 2019
  2. cheetahfm Win User

Windows 10 wifi not turning on Acer Aspire laptop

In order to get the list of available wireless networks, you have to:

1. Switch on Connect to suggested open hotspots (see the screenshot in question);
    2. Click on Wifi icon in the right corner. Now you have your networks back.

After that the parameter from Step 1 can be turned off, networks will be listed normally after restarting Wifi.

P.S. I feel rather stupid at the moment. I thought that open hotspots are passwordless hotspots and so are presumably not very safe. So of course I've turned that off during installation.
    Really hard to see any logic in this case.

cheetahfm, May 4, 2019
  3. Turn of push notice 'action required Wifi' Lumia 950

Hi, Kittyvan H.

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Turn WiFi search off, when you don’t need it, by taping on WiFi quick action button or by managing your
    WiFi notification by following these steps:

• Slide your finger downwards on the screen.
    • Press All settings.
    • Press Network & wireless.
    • Press WiFi. and then select Wi-Fi Sense.
    • Turn on/off "Connect to suggested open hotspots".
    • Uncheck "Show a notification banner when action is needed from me".

Let us know if it works.

Marcel Dio, May 4, 2019
  4. Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected?

Wifi turns off automatically when a device is connected to my hotspot

Whenever a device is connected to my hotspot the wifi is turning off automatically thereby stopping the hotspot.

To turn the Windows 10 hotspot on, in first step I have turned on the Wireless Network Connection as shown in the below image.

Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected? [​IMG]

After that I did following steps in Command Prompt(Admin) for hotspot
    1. netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MyWiFi key=mypassword
    2. netsh wlan start hostednetwork

In netsh wlan show hostednetwork command, it shows the hotspot had started successfully as shown in the below image.

But whenever a device is connected to this hotspot the wifi is turning off automatically thereby stopping the hotspot.

I have unchecked the Power management option i.e, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    All driver are updated to the latest versions.

Please help

luck pradeep, May 4, 2019
Thema:

Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected?

1. Why does WiFi turn off when another interface is connected? - Similar Threads - Why does WiFi

2. windows keeps turning screen off when connecting another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows keeps turning screen off when connecting another: i currently have 4 screens connected and whe i connect a 5th screen windows turns one of the 4 other screens off.when i go to display settings my pc has detected al 5 screens and when i put all screens to extend display it keeps turning 1 random screen offdo you have any idea...
  3. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  4. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my wifi keep turning off?: My Wifi keeps turning off specifically at midnight, and i do not know why, and it is ethernet. at 12:00 everything cuts off on my pc where as my ps5 and everything else is fine and i dont know why....
  5. Why does my wifi keep turning off?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Why does my wifi completely turn off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my wifi completely turn off?: Hello I own a gateway loptop along with my mother and sister and for some reason all of our laptops tend to turn the wifi off completely and the only way to turn it back on is for reset the laptops wifi settings now I wouldn't mind if it did it once in a while but for me I...
  7. Why does my wifi completely turn off?

Why does my wifi completely turn off?: Hello I own a gateway loptop along with my mother and sister and for some reason all of our laptops tend to turn the wifi off completely and the only way to turn it back on is for reset the laptops wifi settings now I wouldn't mind if it did it once in a while but for me I...
  8. why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off: why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-bluetooth-turn-off-when-windows-updates/937151b1-7468-4c43-80b3-e6c307153569
  9. why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off: why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-bluetooth-turn-off-when-windows-updates/937151b1-7468-4c43-80b3-e6c307153569
  10. why does bluetooth turn off when windows updates turn off