Windows 10: Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"?

Discus and support Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I first installed Win 10, I found this whole programs and appz thing confusing. I've always thought the two words were synonymous. A button for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jacatone, Oct 14, 2015.

1. jacatone Win User

Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"?

When I first installed Win 10, I found this whole programs and appz thing confusing. I've always thought the two words were synonymous. A button for the weather or the news isn't an app, it's a link. I had to install Classic Shell so I could unclutter this thing and finally make sense of it. God I miss XP.

:)

jacatone, Oct 14, 2015
  2. Witchmann Win User

How to create a System Restore point in Windows 10.

Windows 10 does have System Restore the same as earlier versions of Windows and can be found in exactly the same place as earlier versions of Windows. How do I know? Because I used it just a few weeks ago !

Witchmann, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Toshposh Win User
    1 HD with 2 partitions, 1 with Win 10 & 1 with Win XP. Is this possible? No rollback or system restore, just want to use 1 old program on Win XP & go back to Win 10. Thanks.

I currently have WIN 10 for over a year now and can't roll back to win7. I want to partition my hard drive with WIN XP SP3 to run 1 small old program that only works with XP & vista. It's a "PL2303 Prolific driver" to make a USB port into a serial com
    port with NO DB9 male connector or RS232 cable. I have tried installing this driver in Win 10 installs fine but when I open utility program to use it does not recognize it. Don't know why it only works in XP & Vista & not Win 10 just doesn't. In the end dual
    boot back to Win10. Trying to avoid buying another HD or separate laptop. Would this work? Thanks for any help available.

Toshposh, Oct 14, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Apps are from the Windows Store. Programs are Win32 that you get and install independently, commonly referred to as Desktop Apps. Like Ccleaner, Avast, Malwarebytes, AVG. Any other prog you download from a third party and install. You can pin them to the Start Menu, or as you have use Classic Shell. It's a blend of MS supplied, and sponsored, applications and your choice of other programs. XP is history.

f14tomcat, Oct 14, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    You can also unpin or uninstall all those APPs and have just alphabetized menu.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Win 10 have "programs and appz"? - Similar Threads - Why does programs

2. Why does this program keep crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does this program keep crashing?: Faulting application name: radiant_modtools.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5df45023Faulting module name: ispc_texcomp64r.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53a4c86bException code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x00000000000a1787Faulting process id: 0x0x2548Faulting...
  3. Why does this program keep crashing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does this program keep crashing?: Faulting application name: radiant_modtools.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5df45023Faulting module name: ispc_texcomp64r.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53a4c86bException code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x00000000000a1787Faulting process id: 0x0x2548Faulting...
  4. Why does win 10 suck so much ****

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does win 10 suck so much ****: Ur **** always has issues all 6 of my computers will now and forever use Linux mint.P.s go **** itself microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-win-10-suck-so-much/b9a6adbc-f510-40bc-9328-ecba65d4b868
  5. Why does win 10 suck so much ****

Why does win 10 suck so much ****: Ur **** always has issues all 6 of my computers will now and forever use Linux mint.P.s go **** itself microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-win-10-suck-so-much/b9a6adbc-f510-40bc-9328-ecba65d4b868
  6. Why does Win 10 keep changing files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Win 10 keep changing files?: It appears that Win 10 changes things to the way it thinks you should have them. Internet history gone, excel files to older copies, or just disappearing files in the middle of working on them, and moving email files sometimes to "draft" while you are typing or just...
  7. Why does my win key have no function?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does my win key have no function?: As the title says, my win key (the one with the windows logo on it) doesn't have any functionality, I can't do shortcuts using it, I have to open the start menu using CTRL = ESC. Any fix to this or any reason as to why I can't use the win button submitted by...
  8. Windows 10 Error Message: This program does not have a program associated with it for...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Error Message: This program does not have a program associated with it for...: Good Afternoon I have tried to solve the following problem on and off for a week or so. The problem is: I am unable to open PowerPoint attachments in AOL when using either Firefox or GoogleChrome. The error message I get is a follows: "This file does not appear to have...
  9. Why does Win 10 keep crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Win 10 keep crashing: Installed Win 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude and the thing keeps crashing along with Firefox. I can't believe how unreliable this POS OS is. Is there a fix for this somewhere? Thanks. 152094
  10. Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo

Win 10 "This file does not have a program associated with it for perfo: this is NOT the first time win 10 has given this issue for me when it updates: " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. ....." it is NOT my fault that i can no longer open folders via right click or double click! (as that's what...