Windows 10: Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors?

Discus and support Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Dell Latitude from work. Before it was an 5560. I have two HD monitors plugged into the docking station. I have a docking station at both home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DavidSchwartz2, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors?

I have a Dell Latitude from work. Before it was an 5560. I have two HD monitors plugged into the docking station. I have a docking station at both home and work. For a while, it would switch my monitors at both locations and always display the main screen in the right-hand monitor, and the other side in the left-hand monitor. What is so crazy about this is that if I switched the cables, it would STILL display them backwards! How in the heck does Windows know which monitor is "right" or "left"? And why does it keep switching them after I switch the cables? One time I even tried physically swapping the monitors without changing the cables, and when I restarted, it *STILL* put the main screen in the RIGHT-HAND monitor!

The IT guys installed an update for the docking station to fix another problem, and this magically fixed the issue with the screens swapping. But it didn't help with my docking station at home. So I swapped docking stations and then for whatever silly reason, they both started working. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen.

Now this week they replaced my 5560 laptop with a 5580, and gave me a different type of docking station (with a single USB-C connector) and I'm back to the old problem of having it switch monitors again.

I can switch cables, physically swap the monitors, and the damn thing REFUSES to keep the settings I give it. I don't know how, but no matter what I do, it keep setting the right-hand monitor as the main screen!

Both are the same monitors: Samsung S27E330 27" HD monitors. (In fact, the system also decided these monitors have speakers in them as well, and then kept switching them to be the default output device until I deleted them from the audio profile. They have no speakers in them, nor do they even have a headphone plug.)

Anyway, it seems impossible to get Windows to keep the settings I select for which monitor is which. It always resets them, and always select the right-hand monitor as the main monitor. I do not know how it can tell, because I've swapped cables with two other cables, and I can switch them, and even move the monitors, and it STILL sets the right-hand monitor as the main screen.

How the heck can I fix this?

:)

DavidSchwartz2, Jul 27, 2018
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jul 27, 2018
  3. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    • Click the Expand button.
    • Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Jul 27, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors?

external monitors switch off randomly - possibly connected to Skype for Business usage?

Hi Robert,

It is possible that you're experiencing issues with your external monitors due to corrupted or outdated drivers. To assist you better, I'd like to gather more information:

• Are you using the same device when connecting your laptop to your external monitors?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?

Meanwhile, if not, I suggest that you follow the steps in this article about updating drivers in Windows

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors?

1. Why does Win 10 keep switching my monitors? - Similar Threads - Why does keep

2. Why does the symbols on my keyboard keep switching places

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the symbols on my keyboard keep switching places: I'm on a hp gaming laptop with windows 10 and the symbol keys or any key that has a symbol option keeps switching places with other symbols at random times, which requires me to restart my laptop, It's getting annoying and I can't find anything online about it, I would...
  3. Why does the symbols on my keyboard keep switching places

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does the symbols on my keyboard keep switching places: I'm on a hp gaming laptop with windows 10 and the symbol keys or any key that has a symbol option keeps switching places with other symbols at random times, which requires me to restart my laptop, It's getting annoying and I can't find anything online about it, I would...
  4. Why does the symbols on my keyboard keep switching places

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why does my Time Zone keep switching back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Time Zone keep switching back?: I used to be Central Time, now I am Mountain Time. I changed everything in my PC under Locations and everywhere I could think of, but today when the Time Sprung ahead my PC automically went back to Central Time and so to solve this, I changed my Time manually, then click...
  6. Why does my Time Zone keep switching back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my Time Zone keep switching back?: I used to be Central Time, now I am Mountain Time. I changed everything in my PC under Locations and everywhere I could think of, but today when the Time Sprung ahead my PC automically went back to Central Time and so to solve this, I changed my Time manually, then click...
  7. Why does my Time Zone keep switching back?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. My monitors keeps switching to the wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My monitors keeps switching to the wrong monitor: Hi i have tow monitors one is an lcd with dvi going to the graphics card and the other is an old crt one withe vga and i convert it to hdmi and its connected to the graphics card too the main one is the dvi when the system start the main one starts normaly and i can use it...
  9. Why does Win 10 keep crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Win 10 keep crashing: Installed Win 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude and the thing keeps crashing along with Firefox. I can't believe how unreliable this POS OS is. Is there a fix for this somewhere? Thanks. 152094
  10. Why does my controller keep switching players?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my controller keep switching players?: I have an Afterglow Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 10. Every once in a while, it decides to switch to player 4. I've tried unplugging, removing it through Device Manager and nothing works except for a reboot. Is there any way to switch it without rebooting, and is there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows keep switching between monitors