Windows 10: Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM?

Discus and support Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have noticed that on a machine upgraded from 16 to 32 GB it stays around 16GB, no matter what I do (to use more ram), whereas on a machine upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by riccardo.l, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM?

I have noticed that on a machine upgraded from 16 to 32 GB it stays around 16GB, no matter what I do (to use more ram), whereas on a machine upgraded from 8 to 16 it stays around 8GB.

I assume it's not by accident, and hope somebody else noticed it as well...and came up with a piece of an explanation..and what to do to let windows be aware of the available ram.

:)

riccardo.l, Nov 7, 2019
  2. SossaA4 Win User

Windows 10 Home 64 - Half of 8GB RAM Available? [Taskmanager]

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and i searched already in a few threads, but i couldn't find the right solution for me. I have 8GB installed as RAM, but in taskmanager my Lenovo Flex2-14 is only finding 4GB.
    How can i let my computer find it's full RAM of 8GB, instead of half..
    Is there anyone who can help me with this problem? Thanks in advance!

Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM? [​IMG]

SossaA4, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Hodakiin Win User

Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM?

Win10 won't activate after RAM change

Hey! I replaced my old RAM cards with two new ones, and now I'm stuck with a "activate windows" prompt in the bottom right corner of my screen. The troubleshooter does not seem to do anything (tried checking the changed hardware option + chose my device
    in the list of devices + it said win10 was now activated.... but the prompt won't leave.)

I got win10 during the free upgrade period, and thus I don't have a product key... Any suggestions?

Hodakiin, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM?

1. Why does win10 use one half of the available RAM? - Similar Threads - Why does win10

2. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM: Hey, I have installed 16GB RAM, the entire RAM is 15,9GB but only 9,4GB is available. Is this "normal"? Picture is in german sorry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-only-the-half-of-my-physical-memory/0b58de63-bbe5-4198-9cdb-d47fa456fa68
  3. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM: Hey, I have installed 16GB RAM, the entire RAM is 15,9GB but only 9,4GB is available. Is this "normal"? Picture is in german sorry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-only-the-half-of-my-physical-memory/0b58de63-bbe5-4198-9cdb-d47fa456fa68
  4. Why is only the half of my physical memory available? RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?: I have very little apps open and 7.7 GB of ram is being used? Task manager doesn't tell me what is so hungry for ram. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-half-of-my-16-gb-of-ram-being-used-up/8da8b3af-37ed-471d-b212-c5a0515405df
  6. Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is half of my 16 GB of ram being used up?: I have very little apps open and 7.7 GB of ram is being used? Task manager doesn't tell me what is so hungry for ram. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-half-of-my-16-gb-of-ram-being-used-up/8da8b3af-37ed-471d-b212-c5a0515405df
  7. Only half Ram available?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Only half Ram available?: Hello, in the PC information I am shown that I only have half of my ram available. I also notice in various games that the FPS start to fluctuate, I think this is also due to it. Does anyone know how I can fix this? CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x GPU: Radeon RX580 RAM: 16GB DDR4 Nur...
  8. Win10 only see half of ram installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 only see half of ram installed: Hi I have a problem with my new build. Win10 only sees half of my ram installed. I have Corsair vengeance Rgb Pro 16gb installed but Win10 only says i have 8gb 7,95. Bios show all 16gb, Cpu-z show all 16gb and says they dual channel Corsair iCue sees both ram, and i...
  9. Why can't my computer use half of my ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why can't my computer use half of my ram: i've tried ticking the maximum allocated box found in "msconfig" and it still doesn't work [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-my-computer-use-half-of-my-ram/25980efc-1440-43f7-8be9-2a621d8d2f5e
  10. Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why does my computer only read half of my RAM?!: Hello. My computer displays that I have 8gb of ram. However, when I got the computer, it had 16. Are the ram cards fused or broken, or is it something to do with unactivated Win 10 Edu? Thanks for any help yall can provide. 74766