Windows 10: Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown

Discus and support Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why does Window 10 insist on restarting when you select Update and SHUTDOWN!? I have a Dell Latitude 5490 with Windows 10 version 20H2. Restart has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bustech1, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Bustech1 Win User

Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown

Why does Window 10 insist on restarting when you select Update and SHUTDOWN!? I have a Dell Latitude 5490 with Windows 10 version 20H2. Restart has not worked for a while tried resetting power & sleep settings, system file checker, etc. and still did not fix issue. Windows 10 always wants to restart for new updates even though I select "Update and Shutdown". I now have a standard operating procedure SOP to start my laptop. It has even screwed up my NTUSER.dat file lately have to revise my SOP now.

Is there a work around this to ensure the laptop "SHUTDOWN" when I select "Update and Shutdown"?

Thank you,

BusTech4

:)

Bustech1, Feb 8, 2021
  2. little cat, Feb 8, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Feb 8, 2021
  4. Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown

Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue

Since last week, my windows is not able to shutdown/restart/hibernate or sleep. Every time I select any of these options, the screen goes black and nothing happens. The keyboard still reacts.I updated to the Windows 10 version 1004 yesterday, still no
    change. I have also tried disabling fast startup and other commonly suggested steps available on the internet. Please help

ArpitPrakash1, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown

1. Why does Window 10 insists on restarting when you select Update and Shutdown - Similar Threads - Why does Window

2. Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?: This is really pissing me off because it adds to the power bill. I feel like the texts are swapped as they are in weird positions as well. Both my partner and I experience this issue on different machines. Almost every time we press "install updated & shutdown" it just boots...
  3. Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does windows restart instead of shutdown when I explicitly press update & shutdown?: This is really pissing me off because it adds to the power bill. I feel like the texts are swapped as they are in weird positions as well. Both my partner and I experience this issue on different machines. Almost every time we press "install updated & shutdown" it just boots...
  4. Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4: Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4. It closes down but then hangs, so I have to press the restart button on the PC to get it to reboot. This started months ago and has been a pain ever since. I have all the latest Windows 10 updates...
  5. Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4: Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4. It closes down but then hangs, so I have to press the restart button on the PC to get it to reboot. This started months ago and has been a pain ever since. I have all the latest Windows 10 updates...
  6. Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4: Why does Windows 10 no longer restart after selecting Restart or Alt+F4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-windows-10-no-longer-restart-after/00d88138-835e-4db0-a065-85633df6c540
  7. Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update does not actually run on shutdown/restart: My PC says it will update on shutdown/restart, however, neither option actually triggers updates to install, it just triggers a normal shutdown or reboot, and I need to install the patch for the print spooler vulnerability.My update history is showing me 6 counts of failed...
  8. PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.: The title basically explains it all. I have tried everything. Disabling fast startup, disabling wake on LAN, trying a clean boot, and nothing has succeeded. This is a brand new installation of Windows as well. Any help is appreciated, thank you. submitted by...
  9. Why does Windows 10 insist on restarting my PC without my consent?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does Windows 10 insist on restarting my PC without my consent?: Every single day for the last couple weeks Windows has popped up a "Restart your PC" box, to which I put it off since it's right in the middle of my work day. When I go to shut the computer down you would expect to see the "Update and restart" button but you don't so I just...
  10. Computer restarts after selecting shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer restarts after selecting shutdown: I have a problem with my Lenovo laptop that when I hit shutdown in the start menu, it will restart instead. At the sign in screen I can press shutdown and it will work fine, but it is just annoying to have to wait and press shutdown again. Also it is a clean install of...