Windows 10: Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names?

Discus and support Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've used Linux for about five years and just switched to Windows 10, and it seems that file names are being abbreviated by the new system. This was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by YourPalMark, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names?

I've used Linux for about five years and just switched to Windows 10, and it seems that file names are being abbreviated by the new system. This was obvious when I copied some document files to the new system, and not recognizing my files is rather disorienting. I know that DOS had a limit on the number of characters in a file name, but I can't believe that's still the case. Is there a way to show the full names, or did Windows do a permanent rename?

:)

YourPalMark, Oct 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pros and Cons

Am using Windows 7 and received notice of FREE Window 10 upgrade reservation. Says it is not an abbreviated copy. Are there any reasons of why or why not I should do the download? Can't imagine MS giving anything away free. Thanks

JeffHanson834, Oct 15, 2015
  3. pfboven Win User
    Edit N73 User Dictionary

Is there a directory in the phone memory called 'predic'? (you need 3rd party software to see this directory if it is there).

If it is there you can find a .dat file wich contains all abbreviations. You can copy this file to another directory and rename it .txt. Now you can edit the file and afterwards rename it to .dat again. Keep a copy of the original .dat file if this does not
    work.

Another option would be to delete the whole .dat file but then you need to enter all your abbreviations again.

Good luck!

pfboven, Oct 15, 2015
  4. Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names?

I guess, that you are referring to NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    It should not change the name of files, not that 10 would even support 16-bit.
    But you can always try to run CMD as admin and enter the command, then restart.

reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" /v "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

TairikuOkami, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Can you provide some examples please?

Ztruker, Oct 16, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Please post a screenshot showing the issue. Otherwise it is all just guesswork.
    Short file names are what they are and cannot be changed. Any changes would have massive compatibility problems.

LMiller7, Oct 16, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    My guess is that in File Explorer you are seeing what appears to be shortened names but the Columns are too narrow. Move the mouse pointer to the Name heading then carefully move it to the right until it turns to a 2-headed arrow. Click at that point the drag it to the right to widen the column. You can also double-click at the same point to widen the column to the width of the longest file name in that Folder. There's other things you can do with the columns such as rearranging by newest or oldest date, alphabetically A to Z or Z to A, rearrange by size of files, largest to smallest or other way around, etc. A lot of that ability suggests what can be done in a spreadsheet.

As for the actual length, DOS uses the 8.3 scheme, up to 8 characters for the name and up to 3 characters for the extension. Windows 95 introduced LFN/Long File Names and the use of up to about 256 characters but also kept the 8.3 scheme for compatibility with DOS [stored both names on the hard drive].

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names?

1. Why Does Windows 10 Abbreviate File Names? - Similar Threads - Why Does Abbreviate

2. Why security updates start with KB how translates this abbreviation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why security updates start with KB how translates this abbreviation?: I usually install cumultive updates but always wander to find out how translates abbreviation "KB" at start of its name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-security-updates-start-with-kb-how-translates/45811560-c382-445b-bf7e-8b8c0d6d2e33
  3. Why security updates start with KB how translates this abbreviation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why security updates start with KB how translates this abbreviation?: I usually install cumultive updates but always wander to find out how translates abbreviation "KB" at start of its name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-security-updates-start-with-kb-how-translates/45811560-c382-445b-bf7e-8b8c0d6d2e33
  4. Windows 10 ISO file does not download why

Windows 10 ISO file does not download why: Windows 10 ISO file does not download why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-iso-file-does-not-download-why/bbe8c6dc-b8a1-416f-936b-b800c9bf966d
  5. Why does Onedrive corrupt file names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Onedrive corrupt file names?: I have started to get a message that there are 30 odd files with names that Onedrive cannot save because of characters Onedrive cannot save. Those characters were never, never, never part of the original file name, I have no idea how to insert them into a file name. Some of...
  6. Why does my email not have a name?

Why does my email not have a name?: When I click on the blue e for Edge at the bottom of the screen, I see several rectangles, each of which look like a smaller version of what I see if I click on one. Each one has a name. For some reason, with my Yahoo email, the name has been missing for a couple of days....
  7. Why does my email not have a name?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why does my email not have a name?: When I click on the blue e for Edge at the bottom of the screen, I see several rectangles, each of which look like a smaller version of what I see if I click on one. Each one has a name. For some reason, with my Yahoo email, the name has been missing for a couple of days....
  8. Desktop Icon's Abbreviating Names

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon's Abbreviating Names: how do I make it so windows will display the full text for my icons? it abbreviates them to two rows, but I would rather it use 3 rows so I can read the whole filename without clicking it. I have tried increasing IconVerticleSpacing to -1600 and CaptionHeight to -600 under...
  9. How does Windows name duplicate files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How does Windows name duplicate files?: Suppose there is file named file.txt, and I copy it and paste it in the same folder. What will be the new file's name? What will be the names of the files created by pasting multiple times? Will the first copy be file.txt (copy), file.txt (1) or file(1).txt? Will the second...
  10. Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?: I recently decided to move my own documents out of the folder called Documents which I think of as "My Documents" and I created a separate folder I called MyDocs which is under Documents. I did this because many tools are now adding their own folders to Documents and it is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. abbreviate filename windows