Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently decided to move my own documents out of the folder called Documents which I think of as "My Documents" and I created a separate folder I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John Pullam, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

I recently decided to move my own documents out of the folder called Documents which I think of as "My Documents" and I created a separate folder I called MyDocs which is under Documents. I did this because many tools are now adding their own folders to Documents and it is getting messy. I want to keep my actual files away from stuff that the tools do so I can manage it properly. Recently I have had folders appear for Adobe, Office, Garmin, SQL Server, TurboTax, and Zoom.

When I look at the folder listing, MyDocs sometimes shows up named correctly and other times as Documents. It is confusing and error prone to have 2 folders that Windows calls Documents. Should I pick a different name that doesn't have "My" in it? It would be useful to understand why this happens and what the rules are.

:)

John Pullam, Mar 25, 2020
  2. jmalais Win User

Altering the Documents Directory Changes the Folder Name

I set up my Documents folder location to use the D drive on my computer and now it is stuck with the folder name D:/ - however when I go into properties it says that it is Documents. How can I get it to change the folder name back to Documents?

Edit:
    Steps I took were...

1. RMB Documents (in sidebar under Quick Access)
    2. Location - Move/Change to D:/
    3. Save

Now by default any documents saved to the Documents folder will be saved to the drive D:/ (Documents) rather than in the C:/Users/

Here's a screenshot (on Windows 10).

Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents? 9w9wS.jpg

jmalais, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

Add a Folder from Windows 10 HDD

Yes indeed, there are pre-existing folders in your Linux Mint home directory which have the same name as the one in Windows (ie movies, pictures, documents)

In this case, you can choose a new name for the destination folder and still link to the correct windows folder :

sudo ln -s /media/user/0684AFD784AFC78F/Users/Stuff/your_shared_folder/ /home/user/Documents/name_of_the_shortcut

something like this should work:

sudo ln -s /media/user/0684AFD784AFC78F/Users/Stuff/your_shared_folder/ /home/user/Documents/w10_shared

Again, customize the name of the destination folder to suit your needs.

blobster21, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents?

1. Why does Windows 10 change a folder name to Documents? - Similar Threads - Why does change

2. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  3. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  4. My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?: My User's folder name was changed to 'Document', and I can't change it back. This folder used to be named 'Danny'. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-users-folder-name-was-changed-to-document/dedf99df-bf1b-458a-955d-05fd10705761
  5. My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?: My User's folder name was changed to 'Document', and I can't change it back. This folder used to be named 'Danny'. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-users-folder-name-was-changed-to-document/dedf99df-bf1b-458a-955d-05fd10705761
  6. User Name and Folder Does Not Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Name and Folder Does Not Change: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  7. Documents folder name change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder name change: I accidently changed the name of the Documents folder to D: trying to redirect its location to my D:Data drive. Does anyone know how I can change it back to Documents?...
  8. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": Why is the name of the folder under Users = "change name"?? See attached [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/8f767542-c7b9-4baa-8f8b-e4b2eaa7f240
  9. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": This is the only User on my PC besides "Public". Why is it "change name"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/e7070d11-0079-48fe-8e56-9459ec15b114
  10. Folder name change does not take

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder name change does not take: Hi everyone, After using Macs for the past 20 years, I am in the process of switching to PCs. My last Mac was a 2012 Mac-mini, which I liked very much. Unfortunately, it recently died due to a logic board problem. The current minis have soldered in RAM, which is something...