Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 control where I save my documents, etc.?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 control where I save my documents, etc.? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I do a "Save As", I don't expect to be told that I can't put the item where I want to. Who dreamt up this piece of nannying? 65770 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ronbar, Oct 2, 2016.

1. ronbar Win User

Why does Windows 10 control where I save my documents, etc.?

When I do a "Save As", I don't expect to be told that I can't put the item where I want to. Who dreamt up this piece of nannying?

:)

ronbar, Oct 2, 2016
  2. Matt Lynx Win User

Read only not set on ALL folders

All files suddenly set to read only and upgrade to Windows 10. Can't do a Save or Save-as with any of my own documents and I am the administrator !!! Why does Windows 10 do this ?? How can I change all folders so I can Save changes to documents ??

Matt Lynx, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Unstable location for icons

I have a few windows open and need a scratch pad for notes. Rightclick/New/Word Document and the icon appears. Why it doesn't open the document escapes me but MS forces me to name it. Ok, it then opens a document and I work the notes. Once I am done,
    I close and save my work.

Why does Win then relocate the icon to under all my work? I placed it where I needed it for easy access. Maybe easy access is no longer an option here. If I want to open that same file, I have to clear the desktop of all windows messing up my work space.

Why cannot Win just leave the icon where it was created?

EmeroGorK2, Oct 2, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

You can obviously choose where to put any piece of data or file where ever you want. You can set it up in advance or you can choose ad hoc.

Rocky, Oct 2, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Well not exactly. Without changing permissions you can't save to root of C: drive, to another users or system folders. That has been Windows security design for years.

You can change permissions to allow full access to everything if you want but it will make your system less secure (any malware could do anything) and any programs that rely on default permissions may act in unpredictable ways. Not a good idea...

lx07, Oct 2, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    Although you are 100% correct, I don't think that the OP had this in mind.

Rocky, Oct 2, 2016
  7. ronbar Win User
    My settings will only allow me to save a new document to either "This PC" in the C drive or "Documents" in the D drive. Although I'm the only user, when I try to "Save As" to anywhere else, it tells me I don't have administrative permission. Having saved to the Documents folder, I then have to drag or copy the item to the folder I actually want it to be in.

There seems to be no obvious way to amend (or do away with) this setting.

Frustrating on a busy day.

Ron

ronbar, Oct 3, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

This is most likely just down to permissions. A bit more info would help us to say what can be done about it.

Is the account you are using when you try to save a standard user or an administrator?

Do you sign in with the same account when you move the saved file?

What is the full path to the folder you want to save to?

From which app are you trying to save?

When you do successfully move the item, do you get told 'You need Administrator permission to move to this folder...' and have to click 'Continue' to complete the move?

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  9. Are you saving to a folder under Program Files or Program Files (x86) by any chance? If so this has been an annoyance since Windows 7. I write small scripting programs and they usually save .ini files or data files to the same folder as the exe. If it is run under one of the Program Files folders I get the permission hassle.

Like you I am the only user on the system. So I used Take Ownership Context Menu Command from Tutorials to just take ownership of everything in the Program Files folder trees. Note you do not want to take ownership of all of the system partition, such as C:\ or you will have issues. But my systems have run fine for years using the Take Ownership method.

The alternative was to run programs As Administrator for only that reason. I think the Take Ownership method is a better choice if you are the only user on the machine. But read the Tutorial and see if it applies to your situation.

MilesAhead, Oct 3, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Another take on this. Save As defaults to the default directory in your User folder. If you want to change that behavior in say Office, you just go into the settings and change the default directories. All programs if written properly, will allow you to go into Preferences and change the default location which gets put into the Registry also.

All that Save As is doing is allowing you to change the location that you want the file to be saved. Say you use a USB thumb drive to keep files on between work and home. You would save one copy to your hard drive, which is Save As, if you opened the file on the Thumb Drive. If you click Save instead of Save as. The file will be saved to the device that you opened it from.

Think of this like a person delivering mail to a group of buildings, but the mail has no mailbox number on it, just the physical address of where the mail needs to be delivered. If the mail person does not see a name inside the mailbox, they will hold on to it. Now if they open up the box and see a name, then the mail is placed in that box. Basically the same concept.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why does Windows 10 control where I save my documents, etc.? - Similar Threads - Why does control

2. why does windows 10 computer not save my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does windows 10 computer not save my desktop: New install of windows 10 on my new system with brand new nvme ssd as boot drive. So its the only drive in my computer. When I finished the install, I then downloaded the updates and put some programs in my system with the shortcuts on my desktop. The next day when logging on...
  3. why does windows 10 computer not save my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does windows 10 computer not save my desktop: New install of windows 10 on my new system with brand new nvme ssd as boot drive. So its the only drive in my computer. When I finished the install, I then downloaded the updates and put some programs in my system with the shortcuts on my desktop. The next day when logging on...
  4. why does windows 10 computer not save my desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. Where or how can I save my documents etc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. Where or how can I save my documents etc: Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. How and where can I save my documents etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-dont-want-to-use-one-drive-anymore-where-or/cba1afbe-c190-40eb-b835-53401c6d2b47
  6. Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. Where or how can I save my documents etc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. Where or how can I save my documents etc: Hi, I don't want to use One Drive anymore. How and where can I save my documents etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-dont-want-to-use-one-drive-anymore-where-or/cba1afbe-c190-40eb-b835-53401c6d2b47
  7. Why does other user have access to my documents Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does other user have access to my documents Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc?: I have a Windows 10 computer in which historically I have been the only user. I recently activated my daughter's Microsoft account to be able to log in to my computer so she can use some of my software. However, when she logs in, she has access to all the document folders...
  8. Where is my 'documents' folder saved?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where is my 'documents' folder saved?: On file explorer my 'documents' folder doesn't seem to be in Windows C: or Data D:, it looks like it's separate from both. Also when I look at both disks with TreeSize it shows no evidence of a documents folder, but when I view storage via the computer's settings it says...
  9. Where are My Documents in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Where are My Documents in Windows 10?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]We have seen people asking about this “My Documents” folder. I remember when using Windows XP and Windows 7, this used to be the folder where we kept all our documents. The other side of the question could be that [...] This post Where are My Documents in...
  10. BLUETOOTH, where are files prior to save to folder etc

in Windows 10 Support
    BLUETOOTH, where are files prior to save to folder etc: hi i transfer img files from android via bt to pc, after all have been transferred, win10 asks in which folder they must be saved - this is the easy part. if there is a transmission error on say img 200 out of 250, bt freezes and i have to redo the whole process and i can't...