Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly?

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly? in Cortana to solve the problem; Almost 90% of the time, I click in Search box of Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Pro on a LOCAL C: drive not a portable drive, and it won't take my... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by CharlotteKnights, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly?

Almost 90% of the time, I click in Search box of Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Pro on a LOCAL C: drive not a portable drive, and it won't take my click. If I click a 2nd or 3rd time, it takes and then I can type or select a prev search query. Sometimes, I can click 1,000 times and it never lets me type or search for anything. And I disabled/deselected Cortana during initial Windows 10 setup on some of these computers.

This happens on multiple computers in my office.

:)

CharlotteKnights, Feb 3, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Search boxes inside windows not working

You could also try using the on-screen-keyboard, to do this:
    • Use the keyboard... *Start + R , then type in osk.exe and select OK

Another possibility is to restart the explorer, to do this:
    • Use the keyboard... Ctrl + Shift + Esc , this should open Task Manager
    • Scroll down near the bottom until you see 'Windows Explorer'
    • Right click on Windows Explorer and select Restart

Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly? [​IMG]

You should also make sure that you have the latest updates installed from Windows Update, you could also try a couple of the Troubleshooters too. I would suggest in particular the ones I have circled in blue.
    (Edit - Sorry I meant to circle Windows Update NOT Windows Security)

Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly? [​IMG]

Finally it could be worth running the command sfc/ scannow which repairs damaged or missing files that may be affecting the search functionality in explorer. This can be done by following the Tutorial (Option Three)

ellellell1, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly?

1. Why does Windows 10 Explorer Search box not work correctly? - Similar Threads - Why does Explorer

2. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  3. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  4. Search does not work correctly

in Cortana
  5. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer: When I search for "File Explorer" in the search bar on my Windows 10 device the one in the bottom left corner, File Explorer does not show up. The best match feature shows me "File Explorer Options" in the Control Panel, rather than the File Explorer app. Yes, I know I can...
  6. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer: When I search for "File Explorer" in the search bar on my Windows 10 device the one in the bottom left corner, File Explorer does not show up. The best match feature shows me "File Explorer Options" in the Control Panel, rather than the File Explorer app. Yes, I know I can...
  7. Windows 10 search box does not display File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer search box not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search box not working: Not able to enter text in either File Explorer or Windows Search boxes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-box-not-working/f0ea428d-fc71-482f-a3b8-7173fe2bae59
  9. Why does Windows 10 File Explorer Search box not work correctly?

in Cortana
    Why does Windows 10 File Explorer Search box not work correctly?: Almost 90% of the time, I click in Search box of Windows File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro on a LOCAL C: drive not a portable drive, and it won't take my click. If I click a 2nd or 3rd time, it takes and then I can type or select a prev search query. Sometimes, I can click...
  10. Windows 10 - Search box on explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Search box on explorer: Hi. I have an HP Z4 G4 Workstation with windows 10 Pro x64 PT On some days the user can't write on search box, on explorer to find files. The solution is close the Explorer process and then open another Explorer.exe. But then (days later) happens again. I'd like to know...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Search box not working