Windows 10: Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f

Discus and support Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF files? It's now doing this so frequently that within moments of me setting PDF... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gammonGo, Feb 11, 2020.

1. gammonGo Win User

Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f

Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF files? It's now doing this so frequently that within moments of me setting PDF files to be opened by Adobe Reader, it's back to Edge within moments.

Equally as infuriating, why can't I take a snip of the "Choose another app" box so I can show you that I'm setting it right?

:)

gammonGo, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

1. Which update was installed on the computer?

There are few reasons that can be considered as to why you are having issues with preferred default applications on the device. It can be because of an update that was installed on the computer. Kindly follow the below steps and
    make the necessary changes to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Change default apps through control Panel.

• Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in Start menu and then press
      Enter key.
    • Change the Control Panel View by to Small icons. Click
      Default Programs to open Default Programs window.
    • Select the first option- Set your default programs.
    • In the left-pane, select your web browser or any other program that you want to set as your default program.
    • Once you select a program or app, you will see
      Set this program as default
      option on the right-side. Click set this program as default option to set it as default.

Step 2: To choose default apps by File type in Settings.

• Open Settings > Click on
      Apps
      > Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default apps by file type option from the bottom of the right pane.
    • Click on Choose a default option and choose an app to always open the file type with by default.

Additional Information: You may have to go through the article on

Make Acrobat or Reader the default owner of PDF files on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 11, 2020
  3. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Feb 11, 2020
  4. LemP Win User

How to change the default program that opens PDF files (Windows 7)

The easiest way is to install a program that opens PDF files and during the installation select the option to use that program.

If you already have installed the program that you want to use to open PDF files, just right-click on any PDF file and select "Open with > Choose default program..." Then select your program from the list, make sure the box at the lower left is checked
    to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and then click OK.

Thema:

1. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f - Similar Threads - Why does keep

2. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  3. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  4. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs

Windows 10 keeps changing my default programs: Okay, this has been documented for over 5 years by hundreds of people. When is MS going to do something about this. I spend alot of money and time on my computer and I'm contantly forced to stop what I'm doing to change my default apps back to my preferance. MS do you not...
  6. Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs

Windows 10 Keeps Changing My Default Programs: I am pissed off about this problem and there is NO excuse for this!!! I see that this has been a big problem for some time now and Microsoft has done nothing to stop it because they have no intentions to do so! The problem I'm having is that after I have changed the default...
  7. .pdf files default program keeps changing

.pdf files default program keeps changing: Hello, I am trying to have my Adobe 9.0 to be my default program for .pdf files. I have tried right clicking on the file in file explorer, clicking open with, and choosing Adobe 9.0 and selecting set as default app. However, once I go back to the file explorer and click on...
  8. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?

Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default apps?: In the past my default apps would reset every 6 weeks or so - now it is happening within a matter of two hours. This is super frustrating....
  9. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f

Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF f: Why does Windows 10 keep changing my default program for opening PDF files? It's now doing this so frequently that within moments of me setting PDF files to be opened by Adobe Reader, it's back to Edge within moments. Equally as infuriating, why can't I take a snip of the...
  10. Why "Open With" keep changing my default PDF Viewer?

Why "Open With" keep changing my default PDF Viewer?: This thing is driving me crazy. 1. I have set my default PDF app as "SumatraPDF". 2. Sometimes I need to edit a PDF with "NitroPDF" and I open the PDF with this app without changing the default file. I need this option just for that one situation. 3. But, recently it seems...